Descent/Odyssey combo

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all - I have a pair of Odysseys and am considering the descent addition. I currently have a Paradigm PDR 10" sub. This is not their Servo series - it is more or less their 'bottom of the line' series... :) Anyway - I have it turned down real low - and it seems to fill in nicely without being real noticeable. When others have added a Descent - have you been blown away by the diff? What happens to the mids/highs/soundstage? Do they seem to sound better / same? What is the impact on different types of music - jazz/rock/classical....etc..I know 'trust my ears' - however, it is difficult for me to get to a dealer and I wanted to get a feel for what my expectation level should be if I were to add the Descent into the mix. I wanted some of your opinions. thx all for a great forum. tim.

TIMM,

Just curious, are you running a HT setup or strictly 2 channel? I am running a 2 channel setup with the Oddessey's and the bass seems to be sufficiant .

Timm, I have a home theater setup with Odysseys and a Descent.I lprefer listening to music in 2 channel except when listening to DVD Audio or Surround SACD'S.I've tried both with and without the Descent when 2 channel listening,I now always leave the Descent on, set at 40hz when 2 channel listening.I mostly listen to Rock-n-Roll,but will listen to just about anything.

I used to have a good subwoofer from JM lab with my ReQuests and Aerius but never used it when listening to music in stereo. I bought two Descent's and was floored. Now I always use them in stereo as well for a much fuller sound without the feeling of loosing any detail from the panels. Audition it!!!

hi all - thanks for the responses... I heard the ascents w/ the descent and all I could say was 'wow'. I purchased the odysseys because of the additional bass response / the killer deal / and because I just thought they had a fuller sound - and as a whole seemed more balanced. I listen in 2 channel for music - and that is what I would consider the descent for (even though I do have them hooked to a home theater as well) I just have a feeling the sub will give me more 'air' - more 'space' with the instruments/vocals. If the descent can truly do this without detracting from the mids & open sound the logan house sound gives... (which is what I heard on the ascent combo) - then it is something I may want to consider. Do you guys go LFE or do you go from main outs to the descent? Have you tried both - what are your impressions of the different hookups?

I currently have them bi-amped with a sunfire cinema signature.

timm said:
hi all - thanks for the responses... I heard the ascents w/ the descent and all I could say was 'wow'. I purchased the odysseys because of the additional bass response / the killer deal / and because I just thought they had a fuller sound - and as a whole seemed more balanced. I listen in 2 channel for music - and that is what I would consider the descent for (even though I do have them hooked to a home theater as well) Do you guys go LFE or do you go from main outs to the descent? Have you tried both - what are your impressions of the different hookups?

I currently have them bi-amped with a sunfire cinema signature.
Timm, I have the Descent hooked up through the LFE and the Odysseys bi-amped.Have not tried it any other way since I also use my system as a home theater.When listening to music almost always in 2 channel.

Timm, I have the Descent hooked up through the LFE and the Odysseys bi-amped.Have not tried it any other way since I also use my system as a home theater.When listening to music almost always in 2 channel.

WB - this is pretty much what I would be doing - My Odysseys are bi-amped as well. I see the manual allows you to hook up thru the lfe & via line level inputs....I could obviously try both. I have both a balanced sub LFE and rca outputs for the LFE and main outs from my sunfire tgIII pre. Just wonder if one connection is more boomy then the other... The one variable I have is that I connect via analog inputs into my preamp and use a 'direct path/dsp bypass mode' while doing so. With my little sub - I go out of the sub out from my denon 5900 into a sub in in my processor. The denon handles the bass mgmt. I am not sure that is really optimal though. also - I have to see whether the main outs send the direct path signal out of them... On another note -- My bro' found the descent for sale at Tweeter in Chicago for 2 grand. And I have a house to sell!!!

Back