Descent i comming soon?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
November is the month for the Descent-i release right?

Oooh.. cant wait to actually it in person.

JOey

I've been considering acquiring a ML sub lately. I need to complete my HT system and would like to try a sub with my 2 channel setup. Tweeter stores in my area are out of Descents but have more ML Descent scheduled to arrive in the near future. They also tell me the Descent i is should be arriving in mid November. I'm hoping they'll discount the older sub model since they still have more to sell to make room for the "i" models.

About a $295 price increase for the Descent i. By the way, what did they improve with the "i" model?

Last edited:
Craig said:
I've been considering acquiring a ML sub lately. I need to complete my HT system and would like to try a sub with my 2 channel setup. Tweeter stores in my area are out of Descents but have more ML Descent scheduled to arrive in the near future. They also tell me the Descent i is should be arriving in mid November. I'm hoping they'll discount the older sub model since they still have more to sell to make room for the "i" models.

Craig,

Being new to this and all, I'm curious as to how you would connect a sub to a 2 chanel setup. Does this mean you have a 2.1 amp/receiver, or that you'd be passing the signal from your surround receiver/processor with only your front speakers selected. (2 chanel stereo mode) Does this mean that the sub always gets a signal in all modes? (stereo/5.1, etc) Currently I have my ML connected directly to the Krell with inputs for my DVD/CD player, my SB3, and my receiver (for XM Radio/regular radio) going directly to it. (I don't use them for surround, just music) I'm guessing in my situation, without coming down with upgrade-itis, that a ml sub wouldn't benefit me since it would be playing with the ML's but the other surround speakers. Does that sound right?

Thanks

Craig said:
About a $295 price increase for the Descent i. By the way, what did they improve with the "i" model?

Their profit per unit. I hate to be cynical but the "i" means increased profit for the new corporate owners.

Descent i Cost...

Dominick22 said:
Any word on a difference in price for the new model?

Dominick
Dominick,

Roberto informed me that the price of the Decent i would probably be about
$3,000.00 (USD). :) Check out this thread:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26700#post26700

I think it is fantastic that the new Descent i has a special adjustment to more closely dove-tail with the coming soon new CLX speakers. I've been drooling over the sonic nirvana - possibilities of a CLX in combination with either the new Descent i or Depth i.... :p Yes, I've had "Joeyitis" since before "The Kid" was even born. :D

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but the CLX, if it sees the light of day, will not be coming out soon. We are looking at 9 months to a year at least. This what I was told. Also "that" setting on the Descent i is only part of the picture for the CLX so don't get all worked up yet

Jeff :cool:

Robin said:
Yes, I've had "Joeyitis" since before "The Kid" was even born. :D

I love it!!!

It's spreading far and wide!!! AND, it follows no time zone... before me and after me, Joeyitis is rampant.

Their profit per unit. I hate to be cynical but the "i" means increased profit for the new corporate owners.
They have changed the amplifier to one that produces 900 watts on the Depth i in addition to a cabinet desighn overhaul. The Descent gets a 2100 watt amplifier and a redesigned cabinet. I'm sure there are internal changes as well but I don't know exactly what they are yet. A ten percent increase in for these upgrades are reasonable and its normal for a legitimate business to increase the cost of improved product and to pass that on to the customer.

It's ok for a company to have a plan for making a profit in thier business model. They have to make a profit to survive and thrive just like any of other company striving to be successful to pay their employees salaries, benefits like medical 401Ks dependent/family care, general operating and overhead costs. I don't have a problem with them doing well as a company. As long as they are fair to the customers and their employers.

Sometimes the price goes down for a new and improved model. The Summits were a price decrease from the Prodigy they replaced. The Vantage price came in at more than the Ascents but less than the Odysseys. The Vista was close to the Aeons.

Last edited:
Maybe they'll start discounting the depths so I can finally afford to add a sub to my system! I'm stuck not wanting to buy a cheap one, but not able to afford the one I want so I'm subless (with Sequel II's).

hmmm...

I am a diehard ML fan, and I think you all know that. But sincerely I can not find a valid reason for spending THAT much money on a Martin Logan sub, when there are some companies out there - like Velodyne and REL - which are specialized in subwoofers and make outstanding products. I mean, Martin Logan is the undisputed emperor of electrostatic speakers, but if I were a Ferrari fan I still wouldn't buy a Ferrari suv only because it's made by Ferrari...

Last edited:
lugano said:
I am a diehard ML fan, and I think you all know that. But sincerely I can not find a valid reason for spending THAT much money on a Martin Logan sub, when there are some companies out there - like Velodyne and REL - which are specialized in subwoofers and make outstanding products. I mean, Martin Logan is the undisputed emperor of electrostatic speakers, but if I were a Ferrari fan I still wouldn't buy a Ferrari suv only because it's made by Ferrari...
Lugano,

I have auditioned a lot of different subwoofers and the Descent is by far my favorite. I have owned a Velodyne subwoofer and I have no plains on ever owning one again. They can play very loud with lots of impact but are not musical subs IMO. Rel makes a good subwoofer but IMO are on the other side of the subwoofer spectrum. They are very musical but don’t have that kick or impact of a Descent or Velodyne.

The ML Depth and Descent to me are both the Velodyne and the Rel in one. I can tune my Descent so it completely blinds in and disappears with my Logan’s but it can still hit very hard and give you that kick in the gut feeling. I love my descent so much I will audition a Descent “i” as soon as Martin Logan releases it, the grotto and under leave a little some to be desired IMO but I love the Depth and Descent.

Apparently, now it is not a good time to buy a ML Descent sub. The new subs are not in the stores yet. The stores claim ML will ship as soon as mid November but I'm not so confident they'll be on that schedule.

The older Descent model is not on sale even though dozens are being shipped to the Tweeter stores. Why would anyone buy a Descent now? I wouldn't want to buy sub at full price when a new design will be on the streets in a couple of months.

You can't get the new one and the old model is still priced at full MSRP. What is ML waiting for? I'm on hold until something changes. I'll give the Velodyne subs a listen in the meantime.

Last edited:
Gee, you buy a Descent now because its a great sub :confused: The new model may be marginally better, but does not change any of the fundamental design of the sub. Still servo powered and force forward designed. The higher power is meaningless and I suspect it was done to keep up with competition's high power claims, for the more ignorant consumer who buys a sub on power output specs. A powered sub has enough power to drive its woofer to full output regardless of the amount of power rated. More power does not make it play louder. I do like the design changes and I am sure it will be a nice woofer, but there is no reason to wait other than a hopeful discount when the new i models are shipped.

The higher power is meaningless and I suspect it was done to keep up with competition's high power claims, for the more ignorant consumer who buys a sub on power output specs.
I really don't think they would do that just for a spec rating.

I think now is lousy time to buy a Descent. There is more to the new model than just more power. Just he locations of the controls hidden behing a decorative cover makes the new sub more desirable to me. I like that.

Based on the subsequent ML model releases there have been incremental improvements with each comparitive model. I'm confident the new Descent i sub will be an improvement over the previous. An the old sub is still a great sub, but why would I pay full MSRP knowing I could wait for the new model or for the price to drop when the old model becomes a clearance item?

If you read my complete message, I said that waiting for a discount is the only siginificant advantage IMO. Power ratings are meaningless in a closed amplified speaker system because the amp is chosen specifically to drive the speaker to full output. The amp in the current ML subs easily drives the subs despite its lower rated power. Many of these subs will be used in home theater installs where casual buyers may well buy on the basis of power output and virtually everyone other than REL puts digital or class d amps in their woofers for cool running and high power output which always boosts sales.

Back