Descent-i blown Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spatel

Reaction score
Looks like I have a bad servo or bad amp(s) in my Descent-i. ML is no longer carrying the amps (very disappointed in them and this policy). Anyone know where I can buy the internal amp or a place in NJ that can fix them? I'm located in Central NJ

Looks like one of these "boards" melted

Attachments

• IMG_3446.JPG
    IMG_3446.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
Did a capacitor blow up and "spit" all over those wires? They look textured now. And yes, sumthin' esplodededed and done charred some stuff!

You know, after a closer look, it looks as if there was some real burning in there from the look of things having soot all over them.

Looks like your power supply board let the smoke out. It is never good to let the smoke out. High end audio equipment needs all its smoke to work! Anyway, good luck with your repair.

Waiting on Ron to get back to me ...Not holding my breath as they are out of these parts! Where can I find replacements if ML doesnt sell them anymore?
IMG_3453.JPG

Wow! That looks like it caught on fire! I can see things much better in this last photo. If that board is charred through the traces then it is finished. There "are" ways to restore the traces, but might not be worth the trouble, kinda depends on how attached to the sub you are. I never consider what something is worth to sell, only what it's worth to me to keep.

If you had a local repair shop that is like I used to take things to 20 years ago, then I'd fix it. That electronics store owner became a good friend. Those kind of shops are rare these days.

WOW! I agree with TTocs. I can see the damage now. It is much worse than I thought. I'd just buy a new subwoofer. It "looks" like it is quite an old sub from the way that board looks. Can't go wrong with a new servo sub made by just about anybody.

If parts aren't available from M/L it may be time to think about a new sub, I love spending other peoples $$ ;)

Latest posts

Back