Depth+Velodyne SMS-1 or Velodyne DD12?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asindc

Reaction score
Trying to decide between the two. I currently have the Depth and originally thought of adding the SMS-1 to better sync it with my Ascent-i during 2-channel playback. Thinking through it further, it might be more effective just to get the Velodyne. After selling the Depth, the costs of acquiring the DD12 would be the same as acquiring the SMS-1. Quite a few members here have Velodyne DD subs, and they have garnered consistently high reviews.

I checked the Velodyne website for DC-area SMS-1 dealers and was surprised to find the closest being 2.5 hours away! Unless someone who lives in this area knows of an area dealer that the website is unaware of, I won't be able to audition the SMS-1 before buying. I don't like having to special-order anything, because most stores (understandably) don't allow a refund if you don't purchase.

My room is 11.5 ft. width, 18.8 long, and 8 ft. high. It is in the basement, has a fireplace on one wall, a sliding door on the opposite side wall, and thick carpeting. The Depth does fine for HT, but I have never been able to tune it quite right for 2-channel.

I'm particularly interested in hearing the opinions of those of have considered/made/not made this same switch, or have at least heard both. All opinions are welcome, though.

Anthony

I checked the Velodyne website for DC-area SMS-1 dealers and was surprised to find the closest being 2.5 hours away! Unless someone who lives in this area knows of an area dealer that the website is unaware of, I won't be able to audition the SMS-1 before buying. I don't like having to special-order anything, because most stores (understandably) don't allow a refund if you don't purchase.
I bought mine from up in Laurel. But I just ordered it and purchased it and I knew I wanted it :) Not sure if they have it setup for audition or not. My guess would be NOT.

BTW, the difference between the two is with the DD you will get Servo control (amount applied). With the SMS-1 and Depth you will get everything but the servo amount control.

Now you need to listen to a DD-12 and a Depth to see which you like better.

Dan

I purchased my SMS-1 from Outlaw Audio when purchasing 2 subs for my HT. They have a 30 day trial period on all equipment. The most you would have to do is pay the shipping back if you don't think helps with your situation.

I agree with others here that feel it is a good piece. It takes a little while to get it dialed in but it made a huge difference in my HT room. I haven't used it with my 2 channel set up though.

Outlaw has their own manual with a lot of good information for the installation. Check out their web site and see what you think.

Back