Denon auto setup tagged Clarity as "Large"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

Ingram4868

Re: Denon 3806 receiver. The sales people at Magnolia advised me to manually identify the speakers as small. When I ran the Denon auto configuration setup (which is suppose to be really good) it identified the Clarity speakers as large and the Fresco center speaker as small.

Will this make a difference in the quality of the sound that I hear?

Thanks
David Ingram
Sparks, NV.

Ingram4868 said:
Re: Denon 3806 receiver. The sales people at Magnolia advised me to manually identify the speakers as small. When I ran the Denon auto configuration setup (which is suppose to be really good) it identified the Clarity speakers as large and the Fresco center speaker as small.

Will this make a difference in the quality of the sound that I hear?

Thanks
David Ingram
Sparks, NV.
Hola David. No matter what speaker you put in your Denon, always is going to show that configuration, it is a factory presetted config by default. Go to on screen program, then speakers configuration and choose there front speakers to small. Why? Because in large speakers, the information of low frequency is too much to handle it by your Clarities. Don't get me wrong. Your Clarities produce very good bass, but this is only for music pupose, not for HT effects, were you have a lot of low frecuency info. That is better to handle it by your subwoofer. Cut them around 60 to 70 Hz, and enjoy your HT sound. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Very good advice. I know someone who went with the Denon set up and blew his speakers when watching a movie with plenty of exposions.

From what I understood if a speaker can go below 80Hz it is going to be labeled as a large speaker. I think this is for all brands. I could be wrong though.

I did not think it was 80 but you are right it is by freq. response with Denon I do not know about other brands but I would asume any brand with a mic auto setup will be that way. If not wy have the mic

Thanks for the info guys. I do have a followup question. My use of the system is 70% music, 25% HDTV and 5% movies.

So given that I listen to music more than anything, would I get a better sound quality setting the Clarity speakers to large and switching them to small when I do watch a movie that has a lot of deep base sounds?

Ingram4868 said:
Thanks for the info guys. I do have a followup question. My use of the system is 70% music, 25% HDTV and 5% movies.

So given that I listen to music more than anything, would I get a better sound quality setting the Clarity speakers to large and switching them to small when I do watch a movie that has a lot of deep base sounds?

Hola...if I were you, I will set them as small, and use the system for music, with the cut at 80Hz and I think that it would be more musical also. Why? Clarity is a great speaker...but its benefits are not in the low frequency. They have this nice 8" aluminum woofer and the stat panels are cut at 450 Hz...from there is where you have the size of the instruments and the great sound of ML. Low frequency is really good...they produce good bass, but it is not their best. Trust your ears and adjust the subwoofer level in such away that you don't have too much bass energy, just enough for the right size of the drums or a bass player. Remember, trust your ears...they will tell you how much you want and like. Your ears are the top best spl meter available, and also hear better than any other spl on the market. The SPL meters are linear and our ears are logarithmic. It is your system, enjoy it!!! happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Back