Definitive last word on power chords for older MLs - flogging an old horse

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sunnyboy 1956

Definitive last word on power chords for older MLs - flogging a dead horse

There have been posts on Audiogon and elsewhere that the power requirement of the the ELS panel is miniscule. The initial current draw is only to charge the panel. IOWs an after market power chord is a waste of money.This is with specific reference to older MLs like the Odyssey. Well I tried using a Transparent pc on my Odysseys and boy I seemed to hear some sonic improvement. I am willing to concede that it may have been the single malt talking. Would appreciate any views/advise.
Happy listening

Last edited:
this is a funny subject. "theoretically", the pc should have no impact on the sound as all it is used for is to charge the panels like you said. i have tested quite a few pc's on the speakers and have noticed different results betwen brands. while disconnecting the pc (after the panel has charged) the music still flows as if there was no pc ever used. it is a strange phenomenon that i have yet to totally figure out. i used transparent reference on my ascent i's before and they were excellent. then i went for a pair of blue circle bc68 power cords. i've never looked back or thought about changing them. when i went to try them out at my BC dealer, we ran the music with the stock cords and then the bc cords. i ended up buying the bc cords as i found they flowed smoother with more body. i could simply be a result of a thicker gauge cord inside that yields the results noticed, but in any case if you're looking for a pc, i would look at the bc68. it was designed for ml electrostatic speakers. ( www.bluecircle.com ) they make excellent products, check them out!!!!

ML has replied on this question before...Let me see if I remember it correctly, but I am sure others will help out if I mess up :D

ML electronics receive the AC signal then convert it to DC then charge up the panels and have some reserves in capacitors. Now since the signal is being changed/converted, they have stated that a different PC should not make a difference...note the word should not.

If you have changed a cord on your speakers and you think it sounds better, then go with it. Your system, your money, your ears, your choice. Just make sure you are truely hearing a difference and not "wanting" to hear a difference due to the change or the cost.

Blind testing can sometimes help out is these situations. Have two or three cords and have a friend make a change and see which you like better. Again just knowing there has been a change can make you want to hear a change, but be honest with yourself and what you hear.

Personally I have tried a few on my CLSIIz's and did not hear any change. But I have heard changes on some of my components with a PC change.

Dan

Some components had a change...

Dan,

I realize you probably had posted this before (on previous pc threads), but I wonder if you would be so kind as to restate, which components in your system did you notice a suggnificant change, with an improved pc?

Thank you :D

Cheers

-Robin

When I asked Jim P at ML about after market power cords he basically stated what Dan has said but also said that ..."if you hear a difference then fine use them and enjoy".

I have after market on MY CLSiiZ's as well as other components. I can not tell you if there was a difference or not with my CLS's but I had them so it was more peace of mind. They are after market "DIY - pc's that I have built and have had good luck with them. I am using 3 of them in my system. I am also using Tara Labs pc's on my CD player and my preamp and there was a smoothness in sound and greater clarity throughout the frequencies which I achieved with these

Jeff :cool:

I have some DIY stuff with filtering and in my system they work well with the Ascents and with the CD player. Noticed an improvement with the Ascents and filtered power cords, no matter what the theory would say.

Seems to work for me

I have after market pcs for every component in my system which includes 4 tube monoblocs(am waiting for a new audio rack and will post pics soon). All the chords are Transparent except two which are StraightWire. IMHO there have been pretty huge improvements to every component, specifically the cdp and the preamp. With the MLs there is a difference but pretty subtle. Of course the methodology is suspect coz I swap the cables between the MLs and one pair of mono blocs. Will probably get a pair of Transparent pcs(BC not available in my part of the world) but its not the highest priority.
Many thanks for your views/advise

An awesome performing aftermarket mains cable to use with your Martin Logans (CHEAP TO BUY ALSO) would be the Supra Lorad 2.1 cable ($20 per meter) combined with matching Supra IEC copper plug ($15) and an MK silver plated toughplug on the other end ($20). The copper IEC plug on one end gives you the bass power and solidity while the MK silver plated plug on the other end gives you the pure treble clarity. I use these cables throughout my system and I'm overwhelmed by the performance they provide.

Back