Dedicated power circuit?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

S42N8

Aloha! I've been watching the forum for a few months for pointers while I plan my upgrade from a vile HTIB :( to a ML system. Has anyone needed to add a dedicated power circuit to run their systems? I've looked, but haven't seen much discussion on the amount of current (amperage) required; lots of discussion of amplifier matching and requirements, but the discussions seem to end at the power conditioner. I'm more interested in what's needed at the wall outlet -- will I need to add a dedicated power circuit?

Here's what I'm planning:
Speakers: Vantages (2) Script I (2) Cinema I (1) -- may add a sub if needed
Processor/amp: Parasound C1/A51
Power conditioner: APC S15
Display: Sony 36 WEGA XBR [old-school, I know ;) ]
Odds and ends: Denon 3910 DVD player, Am. Scientific 8300 DVR.

I don't play it loud, but that's not the critical issue. I don't plan to run anything but the above off one circuit (a 20-amp line) -- no lights, computer, blenders ;) and the Scripts will plug into a separate circuit. Adding a 20-amp drop line will be a small consideration, but not huge -- question is, will I need to? Your thoughts are welcomed. Cheers!

S42N8 said:
Has anyone needed to add a dedicated power circuit to run their systems?
I have three dedicated circuits for my system.

I run a dedicated circut for my Plinius Amp, another one which the Subwoofer Amp and Speakers share, and one for my rack of equipment which plugs into a Monster Power Center which plugs into the outlet. Each circuit also uses a top quality Pass & Seymour 5262 outlet (if I remember the # correctly).

The reason I did this was the previous home owner had a bad tendency to split many outlets off a single circuit.

I ran the wire (pain), installed the outlets (easy), and installed the new breaker (scariest part) myself.

Dan

Large improvement, low cost

I noticed over many listening sessions that my 2-channel set-up did sound subtly and sometimes not so subtly different from one day to another. One of the variables aside from weather and relative humidity in the house was the number of electrical devices in use, especially the bigger ones: furnaces, air conditioners, refrigirator etc.

I decided to try to separate the AC supply to the sound system as much as possible from the rest of the house. The power company flat out refused to install a second line from the pole to the house, claiming that by Michigan law a residence can have one single service only.

I decided to install a small 4-breaker second service box and had it connected to the Edison line before connection of the larger service box for the rest of the house. It is thus the first connection from the pole.

I then installed separate copper ground poles (in the ground, not on a waterline) to create a ground loop apart from the grid in the rest of the house. I did NOT use romex, but used very pure copper # 10 separate wires in flexible pipe to the dedicated outlets to my system. I also made sure that the guts of the box were all copper and not white metal.

The wall outlets and male wire connectors were replaced with FIM connectors, were the male and female parts are finely polished and gold plated. The connection in the FIM itself is extremely tight, so much so that it requires two hands to pull a connection apart.

Before installation I sent everything, the service box, the wire and the connectors to a liquid cryogenic service were it was all frozen in liquid nitrogen for 24 hours.

My electrician went along with the whole thing shaking his head, but he was intrigued and getting paid after all. I played the system for him before he went to work and again after it was all installed. Although he was not a audio "listener", he was flabbergasted by the difference. Much more controlled bass and at any volume, more apparent headroom and much more overall ease. And thanks to the system's separation from the house on AC the line as well as the ground, a much quieter background from which the music emerges.

By the way, I installed three circuits (20 amps each), but found the best result when all units, turntable, preamps and amps were plugged into the same one.

Cost was negligible for the huge improvement overall, but I still turn of the fridge when listening, not for the electrical noise but for the audible hum.

Ampheres, Circuits and More Juice / Power...

S42N8,

Welcome to the ML Club!
I run four deicated 20 amp circuits to my HT. I was forced to fininally up-grade because I purchased an Anthem Statement P5, solid state amplifier, which has two power cords and it is recommended to have them on two different circuits (15 - 20 amps each). So, I called a licensed, home - electrical contractor company to install and up-grade all the circuits to my HT room. They changed the four exsisting circuits from 15 amps to 20 amps and the added two more 20 amps lines, to a special double plug set-up near my Anthem P5. This was extremely convienant and did the trick. If I aquire a couple of tubed mono-block amp(s) in the future, I'm read with the power. ;) I can even add a much large air-conditioner, which I will diffinately require, when I get tubed amp(s).

It coast me about $200.00 (USD). Diffinately worth the investment. ;) Audio requires plenty of juice to make your system sing... :D

Good luck with your system's electrical up-grade. :)

I have three circuits one 20 amp and the other two 15 amps. I have an older Tice power conditioner that I have my amps, lexicon, , and plasma on. I have my DSS HDPVR and projector on an APC back up power and my computer on the third circuit (also on a backup). The Tice is a two circuit conditioner, surge protector which handles any "ground issues between the two circuits and I use the 20 amp circuit sections for the my audio amps, the other for the rest.

Becuse of increase heat from all the amps, I needed to add an additonal return and an addtional air outlet to keep temperature under control as well. I use diffusers to keep the noise from air flow down to below 25 db.

Joel

Last edited:
Me too....

I have one 20amp DIY circuit that uses standard romex. It cost me roughly $50 and a couple of hours to put together. All of my equipment runs through a PS Audio Power Director 3.5. The previous circuit I used had at least a refridgerator connected to it. I haven't noticed a huge change, but I believe the backgroud is a bit quieter.

Will you need one too? Depends on if you're as crazy about this hobby as the rest of us.

Thanks for the feedback!

and the gamut of options.

I suspect I'll be dropping one conduit with two 20-amp lines. Short of building my own personal power plant in the basement, that's probably enough. Cheers!

Back