Decision time (Please help).

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wsmatau

Reaction score
OK, it is time for me to step back up to separates after using my B&K 507 for a couple years to power my Spires.
So I've narrowed the field to a pair of Wyred for Sound SX1000 monos or a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature. Both are 500 watts, although the Sunfire can bi-amp. I've had good results with a standard Sunfire on my old SL3s, but I am looking for first hand experience with the W4S and Martin logan. The W4S get fantastic reviews, but I can't afford the 500 x 5 channel to make it a truly fair comparison.
If it makes any difference they will be running through an Integra 9.9 and using OPPO 83 Blue Ray Player for CD/DVD/SACD.
Any experiences? Input would be appreciated.

OK, it is time for me to step back up to separates after using my B&K 507 for a couple years to power my Spires.
So I've narrowed the field to a pair of Wyred for Sound SX1000 monos or a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature. Both are 500 watts, although the Sunfire can bi-amp. I've had good results with a standard Sunfire on my old SL3s, but I am looking for first hand experience with the W4S and Martin logan. The W4S get fantastic reviews, but I can't afford the 500 x 5 channel to make it a truly fair comparison.
If it makes any difference they will be running through an Integra 9.9 and using OPPO 83 Blue Ray Player for CD/DVD/SACD.
Any experiences? Input would be appreciated.

Sunfire CGS is an excellent choice for the money. I think others on this forum would agree as well.

The W4S amps are an interesting option as well. They are ICE amps and they perform unbelievably well for their size/weight. While I haven't heard the W4S monos, I have owned (and hugely enjoyed) the Bel Canto Ref1000M monos which are very, very similar in design. I had them driving a pair of Summit-X and they were truly amazing.

I am personally biased toward monoblocks for 2-channel listening... and that's why I have always owned monos for my 2-channel setup. But things obviously get a bit more complicated when you have one setup doing double-duty for both stereo and multi-channel sound.

In the end, given your current setup with associated equipment, if I had to decide between the two options you present, I would probably go with the Sunfire. Having said that, there are still a whole lot of other options out there in the $3K range. Audiogon has a slew of interesting 5-channel amps. There's a Krell KAV500 over there right now for about $1.5K. Then there's a Cary 7B... all kinds of goodies... and don't get me started on tubes ;)

Cheers and good luck.

Thanks for the comment!

I was pretty much sold on the W4S monos, but after reading several posts, I'm still undecided. The Sunfire offers more flexibility and is less expensive. I wish there were a W4S showroom around.
At this point the speakers are going point a semi finished basement so I likely won't be able to hear a difference anyway, ( until I get the room optimized).

If there are any W4S owners out there that would like to chime in, I'd like to hear from you too! I know this forum has a penchant for the SF gear, but I'd like an unbiased opinion as possible.

TSV, thanks for the suggestions, I have toted with the idea of tubes, but the idea of trying to set up a multi channel system with tubes makes the WAF alarm Go off. Plus, I'm. A fan of the BAT gear and it is well out of my price range ;:eek:

you may want to check with W4S first

I was about to pull the trigger on W4S mono's until I read the 6moons review stating the amp would not be recommended to drive low ohm speakers. The reviewer had problems driving Apogees, which like Logans have low ohm dips.

The Sunfire is a tried, tested, and true performer. I'd stay with a Sunfire for it's guaranteed. I'm not one for chasing audio rave reviews of new products just because everyone says it's the latest greatest pie in the sky.

A KAV 500 just sold on eBay y'day for $1340. There are many excellent choices to be had from other amps. I'm not so certain you'd hear that much of a difference over the B&K 507. It's a pretty decent amp in there, and close to their Reference series which too are very excellent amps I've compared to some high dollar amplifiers.

Best!

I was about to pull the trigger on W4S mono's until I read the 6moons review stating the amp would not be recommended to drive low ohm speakers. The reviewer had problems driving Apogees, which like Logans have low ohm dips.

The Sunfire is a tried, tested, and true performer. I'd stay with a Sunfire for it's guaranteed. I'm not one for chasing audio rave reviews of new products just because everyone says it's the latest greatest pie in the sky.

A KAV 500 just sold on eBay y'day for $1340. There are many excellent choices to be had from other amps. I'm not so certain you'd hear that much of a difference over the B&K 507. It's a pretty decent amp in there, and close to their Reference series which too are very excellent amps I've compared to some high dollar amplifiers.

Best!

Well, I paired my Summit Xs with the Bel Canto Ref1000M monos (almost identical to the W4S) and the authority and seemingly endless reserves made me a firm believer in the ICE alternative.

Really? Here's some W4S monos driving my Apogee bass panels. Two transformer coupled passive preamps in use, with my 211s driving the mid/treble ribbons. The results were for the most part excellent.

Also, Aps have Zobel networks in them that present an almost constant 4 Ohms to the driving electronics over the full FR. Think I'll have a search over at 6 Moons...

SDC12369.jpg

SDC12370.jpg

:eek:

Oh sure now the discussion heats up.:devil:

Too late... I pulled the trigger on a SF Cinema Grand Signature. I'll bi-amp the Spires and see how it goes. If I don't really like it I can always trade up on A'gon.
But, Having owned SL3s mated to a regular cinema grand....I think I'll be happy:music:

Thanks for the support anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

:eek:

Oh sure now the discussion heats up.:devil:

Too late... I pulled the trigger on a SF Cinema Grand Signature. I'll bi-amp the Spires and see how it goes. If I don't really like it I can always trade up on A'gon.
But, Having owned SL3s mated to a regular cinema grand....I think I'll be happy:music:

Thanks for the support anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck and keep us posted on your impressions!

Back