Decent review site for SACD/DVDA

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveInNC

Reaction score
One of my audio friends pointed this site out to me:

Audiophile Audition

They review Jazz, Classical, Pop and other SACD/DVDA/hybrids, usually giving comments on the recording quality along with their opinions of the music and/or other content. I find this useful because even if they don't like a particular musician or album, they still give reasonable ratings of the recording itself. One of the problems I originally had with Redbook audio (normal CDs) was that the record companies would often release dreadful recordings of some of my favorite artists, just to take advantage of the "new" format. I'm hesitant to buy unreviewed SACD/DVDAs for that reason - if it's not substantially better-engineered than the normal CD release, why bother? I've already bought into new-to-me artists and recordings just based on reviews given in the ML forum. The above serves as another venue for opinions.

SteveInNC said:
I've already bought into new-to-me artists and recordings just based on reviews given in the ML forum. The above serves as another venue for opinions.
For me, reviews on sites, are just another opinion...sorry to say. Unless I am very familiar with the reviewer and know their tastes and sonic abilities...it just is not worth it for me.

Right now I base most of my new purchase on being able to hear it first before buying and that is with Rhapsody Streaming Audio. I am listening for content due to Rhapsody not being able to give you an idea on sound quality. I usually look for a SACD version if possible.

To see what is out on SACD, I look to www.sa-cd.net as my reference site.

I will stop by the site you listed to see what the are all about...

Dan

decent review site

Thanks DTB300 and SteveInNC I really thought these two sites were great.
By the way, a personal story if you'll indulge me.
I have gone on eBay looking for some bargains with SACD's and have meet with poor results. Although the phrase, "you get what you pay for" should be eBay's theme, I am amazed at the rip-off artists that still try to hurt people. Twice I have ordered different SACD's, (from different sellers), only to be mailed a basic version from each seller. Having to go back and tell them either give me what you advertized or a refund is time consuming enough; but the overall impression it leaves me with is that nobody really cares about the quality of what they are trying to sell. Its just the money. What a shame. And unfortunately in todays world, no surprise.
Has anyone else had this experience? Please beware of what you order and from whom. Sorry for the rant, just dissapointed tonight.

audioraptured said:
Please beware of what you order and from whom. Sorry for the rant, just dissapointed tonight.

Thanks for the link Steve, for me it serves as a starting point on things I might want to take a closer look at.

audioraptured, I stay completely away from ebay and 90% of the time order from Amazon.com. I have received used sacds, or 20-bit recordings that are in perfect condition, and always arrive on time.

My wife and I have both had our bad experiences with ebay, so you're not alone.

Back