da boom

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neo

Reaction score
I have a pair of aeons with a grotto sub. B&K AVR507 amp. Should probably upgrade to the Depth or Descent for the sub, but I am having trouble getting tight bass response. I set the crossover LFE at 35Hz, and inverted phase from the amp. This gives me the best so far, but I can think I can do better. Has anybody played with the 'room equalization' and 'resonance' settings on the B&K? Any other tips/hints.

If I were you, I would talk to B&K for help.. they are very helpful.

My experience has been.. to get in that Menu screen, turn on the low freq test tone and sweep through the frequencies.. you will here the room react to the sub, and notice "holes" and "bumps" in the output..

The AVR507 is a nice unit for this. You can acutally take the "Bumps" out by setting your "Q" in the Range of the "Bump" and Reducing the Decibals..

Worked very well for me... In your Case, it sounds like the Room might be sucking the bass out. First try Sub Placement (I am guessing you already have) and then try to boost that Range you are Missing...

The Groto didn't have the bass for me, but I other's are VERY happy with it.
Happy Experimenting!

-Sam

Neo said:
but I am having trouble getting tight bass response. ....Any other tips/hints.
Velodyne SMS-1 to manage/eq your room for your sub and a few of us own one - great product and a must for great bass. There are a couple of threads here on the subject...Just do a search.

Dan

Neo said:
I have a pair of aeons with a grotto sub. B&K AVR507 amp. Should probably upgrade to the Depth or Descent for the sub, but I am having trouble getting tight bass response. I set the crossover LFE at 35Hz, and inverted phase from the amp. This gives me the best so far, but I can think I can do better. Has anybody played with the 'room equalization' and 'resonance' settings on the B&K? Any other tips/hints.

Hola...just wondering...did you use the cut at 65to 70 Hz before? ...I think that you have your setting too low. Try it and bring the level of the sub a little bit down, start with the volume control setted at the sub aorund 2 or 3 and then, encrease it little by littly until you find what you like...hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola...just wondering...did you use the cut at 65to 70 Hz before? ...I think that you have your setting too low.

I agree, there's going to be a gap if you XOver that low.

I'd also suggest a Behringer DSP1124p or the replacement FBQ2496 aka "BFD" as an alternative to the SMS-1. You can get a used 1124 for about $55-60. I just bought a new FBQ2496 for $150, can't wait to try it out.

Oops - have to get my subs built first...

Great advice from the other members. If these suggestions do not solve your problem consider room treatment. Inexpensive room treatment products are available from such companies as room tunes, eighth nerve and others. They are not all ugly, either.

tonyc said:
Great advice from the other members. If these suggestions do not solve your problem consider room treatment. Inexpensive room treatment products are available from such companies as room tunes, eighth nerve and others. They are not all ugly, either.

It's also quite easy to build your own ;)

Neo said:

For the most part, I've got a very simlar set up to yours - AVR507 and Aeons. I recently just retuned my system and one of the things I played with was the crossover. I believe your XO is set too low, in addition to room problems effecting the tightness of the bass.

After playing around with the XO frequency, I felt that in my room the best bass response was using the 60Hz XO in the B&K. As I dropped the XO frequency, the bass became more unfocused and too boomy. If you have not used the RS sound meter to measure your response for calibration of tones, you really need to do so to get the smoothest response between speakers and sub. Lastly, you MUST use the notch filter to minimize any room interactions. Doing so will reward you with the tight slam you're in search of. Again, you will need the sound meter to properly set the notch and width. I'm more than happy to help out if I can. Good luck. i know, i was just there
:)

thanks everybody for the responses

gstring - that was quite helpful. I will try with 60Hz XO & play with the notch filter for room eq. I assume I shouldn't cut it off low on the sub as well.

Neo said:
gstring - that was quite helpful. I will try with 60Hz XO & play with the notch filter for room eq. I assume I shouldn't cut it off low on the sub as well.

If you can, you should bypass your sub crossover when using the bass managment in the B&K. If you have the s2 version of the B&K, you get more than one notch filter. Trust me, I think you'll be surprised how much better you're bass experience will be. I know I am.

Try the Rives test cd 2 and a radio shack meter and then position for sub woofer for best results. Once you know the resonance frequncy you can play between the mains and the sub by varyng the xover as long as the main resonsnce is between

Play with the xover between 60 and 100 or so. Do not be afraind to raise the xover to as high as 80-90 when you try out solution. I would do this 1st before buying a new sub or paying for room reconstruction or bass dampers

Joel

Back