Custom Exotic HardWood Trim for Ascents

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
I was considering making my own custom wood trim for my Ascents. Anyone tried this? It appears to be a simple project if you have the right wood working tools. I was considering removing my trim pieces and using them as a template to cut out some exotic hardwood pieces such as Teak, Lacewood or Walnut. I've never removed the trim pieces but it looks simple enough. Are there any other parts that go with the trim pieces besides the wood?

I read the Ascent Trim Rail Installation Manual and it mentions a "Black Rail Backer" and that it "slides into the grooves on the electrostatic panel assembly". Is that something I'll be able to reuse on the new custom trim pieces? I suppose I'll find out exactly what that is when I remove the existing trim pieces.

I removed the trim pieces from the speakers and I now see what the black plastic backing is. It's a second piece that's glued to the wood trim with an angled groove on the edge that allows it to slide into the rail. It still seems like a simple enough project. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Good luck Craig, and post some pictures of your work when completed.

Craig said:
I was considering making my own custom wood trim for my Ascents. Anyone tried this?
please let us know how this goes, i was looking at the rails on my scripts the other day and i really think that they need to be replaced with oak to match the CLS's.

zaphod said:
please let us know how this goes, i was looking at the rails on my scripts the other day and i really think that they need to be replaced with oak to match the CLS's.

Hola Zaphod...perhaps this can help you...if you have black Scripts, there are only four phillips #2 screws that are securing the rods. If your CLS are clear oak, just use sand paper to take off the black paint and then apply clear laquer. In any warehouse you can find this...and very easy to do. If the color of your CLS are dark oak, then you have to use some tint for it...then some clear spray. I have done this to mines, and they look beautiful...and it was only half of a day work for the four rods...I just sold them now, (the Scripts only of course) and the customer is very happy with the color of the rods.
Hope this can help and happy listening,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola Zaphod...perhaps this can help you...if you have black Scripts, there are only four phillips #2 screws that are securing the rods. If your CLS are clear oak, just use sand paper to take off the black paint and then apply clear laquer.

hola!

are you saying that the rods on the scripts are oak under that black paint? this will be trivial to make happen.

hola sh*t!

(sorry, i have a weakness for pun humour, and am the current holder of the jawbone of the ass award in my club).

zaphod said:
hola!

are you saying that the rods on the scripts are oak under that black paint? this will be trivial to make happen.

hola sh*t!

(sorry, i have a weakness for pun humour, and am the current holder of the jawbone of the ass award in my club).

Ha,ha,ha...LOL you are too much Zaphod!...yes, well mine did!...and if you look carefully to the rods, perhaps you could see the wooden strips of the oak...sand it and see what kind of wood is there. Perhaps you might like it...and closer to match your CLS wood. If you don´t like the wood, you can paint it again black...and problem solved.

I had done this several times with great results. Sometimes also, the black paint is too strond and covers the strips of the wood...and believe me, they look great when you apply the varnish...light oak with some not so strong black color in some strips...the look is great!!!...
Happy listening and sanding!
Roberto.

Last edited:
my mistake here...please sorry!

Hola a todos...I made a big mistake, saying that the Scripts rods are wood, and they are not...they are made of plastic...but the ones that are made of wood, and are in black color, and you want to change it, you can sand it and put the color that you want with wood tint, and then some clear varnish or laquer...
Cheers,
Roberto.

I'll definitely go through with this project and let you know how it turns out. However, it may be afew days before I get to it. I'm currently working on a DIY twin audio rack made from Teak and Lacewood and will finish that after my July 4th vacation. The Ascent trim panels should be a little easier. I think the hardest part of doing the trim panels will be getting the curved side just right. The other 3 sides are simply right angles.

Craig,

definitly give this a go. I did the same with my Aerius...and the results were fantastic. I only used a birdseye maple, but it turned out great and was simply to do.....so simple, we should offer this as a service to some of our fellow martin-loganers!

Paul.

Craig,

Did you ever make your custom rails? How'd they turn out? Pics? Tips?

I'm considering the same project with my Ascent i's (Paduk i think :) ) and would love to hear how yours turned out.

Thanks!

Back