Current vs. Voltage-Source on Sunfire?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bi-Amp'd and I am digging the current output to panels.

Glad it's sounding so good for you.

One thing to note though, at higher volumes you *may* encounter some HF compression. The "current output" is nothing more than a lower-damping factor (from what I know of Carver's design) that will provide less power at frequencies where the speaker panel impedance dips down low. Just something to consider. Bottom line, as long as you like what you're hearing, then it's all-good!

Cheers

Last edited:
Fwiw...

I ran all three generations of Sunfire Signature amps on Logans and in my case, experimentation with each always equated to the same thing;
Current Source = Coloration
Voltage Source = Accuracy

The Logans I had during my "Sunfire era" were Quest z's, ReQuests, and CLS 2z's.

Cheers,
Ray

Glad it's sounding so good for you.

One thing to note though, at higher volumes you *may* encounter some HF compression. The "current output" is nothing more than a lower-damping factor (from what I know of Carver's design) that will provide less power at frequencies where the speaker panel impedance dips down low. Just something to consider. Bottom line, as long as you like what you're hearing, then it's all-good!

Cheers

What it provides is a different load to the amp, with current source including a 1-ohm resistor in the path.

Here is the impact on Frequency response between 1 ohm resistor and nothing between a panel and an amp. It is a significant reduction in HF response, which makes it sound 'warmer'.

See graph in this post: http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...-and-build-story&p=18181&viewfull=1#post18181

What it provides is a different load to the amp, with current source including a 1-ohm resistor in the path.

Here is the impact on Frequency response between 1 ohm resistor and nothing between a panel and an amp. It is a significant reduction in HF response, which makes it sound 'warmer'.

See graph in this post: http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...-and-build-story&p=18181&viewfull=1#post18181

Damping factor is generally described as: Z_Load / Z_Source. As the source impedance increases (because Bob decided to put series R in his output), the damping factor decreases, assuming the load impedance remains constant. Further, when the impedance of the load decreases at any frequency (higher frequencies being typical for ML speakers) the damping factor decreases as well.

Bottom line, a series R in the source output simply dissipates power that would otherwise go to the load. The lower the speaker impedance goes, the more power gets dropped by the source series element.

Why am I bothering to write this? Because I don't want the OP to get any mixed messages. I believe, Jonathan, that we're essentially saying the same thing. Thanks for linking to the chart - good stuff!

Back