Current vs. Voltage-Source on Sunfire?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai

Reaction score
Hey all,

Sunfire (aka Mr. Carvar) recommends Current source for electrostat speakers. A few argued that Current source "changes" the music...basically add something that was not meant to be there...thus, argued that Voltage source stays truer to the original music. I understand that Martin Logans are very natural speakers...no coloration.

So, what do YOU guys think...those that have Sunfire amps?? Even if you don't, then input is equally appreciated!

My speakers are Vantages, Stage, and Vignettes if that matters.

Which ever one you prefer is the right choice for you.I never understood why someone needs somebody elses opinion to figure out what they like.trust your own ears and it will always be what you like.

Which ever one you prefer is the right choice for you.I never understood why someone needs somebody elses opinion to figure out what they like.trust your own ears and it will always be what you like.

Well, it is because i don't have the amp yet...and i want to hook it up to be optimal with my MLs. It is quite obvious that i would "test drive" the modes, but an opinion or an opinion backed with facts would not hurt my feelings.

And of course, if you don't have anything informative to say, then why post at all? :rolleyes: I NEVER understood that either.

You're going to have to listen and decide for yourself. I have to admit, I was totally happy with my Sunfire amp until I started comparing the two, and then I realized that they both had (in my opinion) a good side and a bad side. It made me want an amp that could provide the best of both worlds.

I've heard a mixed bag of opinions between using the voltage and current sources. My sunfire does not support both options, so I have no direct experience. Having said that, I really do enjoy this amp and I think Sunfire delivers lots of bang for the buck.

Erik

Sunfire 600x2

Hi,
For years I have powered my ML's with the mighty Sunfire 600x2. I experimented initially with the voltage / current outputs and to my ear the best combination is current to the high speaker input (panel) and voltage to the lo speaker input (bass).
After all these years I am still more than happy with this combination. Sunfire amps are great value for money and the quality is right up there with the best of them.
Hope this helps,
Nigel.

Hi,
For years I have powered my ML's with the mighty Sunfire 600x2. I experimented initially with the voltage / current outputs and to my ear the best combination is current to the high speaker input (panel) and voltage to the lo speaker input (bass).
After all these years I am still more than happy with this combination. Sunfire amps are great value for money and the quality is right up there with the best of them.
Hope this helps,
Nigel.

When I had my Sunfire this combination sounded best to me also.

I also use the "current to the high speaker input (panel) and voltage to the low speaker input (bass)" (thanks Nigel) approach. When i want that more solid state sound, which i do enjoy and find more suitable for some music, i use the Marantz CD player as a transport and let the Lexicon handle the conversion. This makes for a simple switch (from the remote) rather than switching cables while taking advantage of the "cooler" current sound that is well matched with the Marantz.

Either way, you'll enjoy it.

Thanks all for your input...thanks Kruppy for the additional links! Good info.

Well, it looks like my situation is a bit more complex. My Denon receiver uses Audyssey for room correction. There is two major modes: (see: http://www.usa.denon.com/Denon_Audyssey_FAQs.pdf, page 2)

Audyssey mode: there is a slight high frequency roll-off...so, this is somewhat similar to what the "CURRENT" source is trying to do.

Flat mode: same filters as Audyssey without the high-frequency roll-off.

So, i guess that i should use FLAT mode on my Denon and then use CURRENT source. But, then that leaves my other speaker not having the high frequency roll-off.

OR, i can use the Audyssey mode, which applies the high-frequency roll-off to all the speakers...and then use VOLTAGE source.

If i use Audyssey mode + CURRENT source, then i am afraid that my high frequency will be rolled off too much??

Unless your room has perfect acoustics, I think you're going to want to use Audyssey no matter what (and I don't think it factors into the amp decision very much).

Depending on your room, I can imagine your mileage may vary, but in my room I tried different cables (power, speaker, and interconnect), different speaker placement, different preamp, different amp, different source, and turning on Audyssey was the biggest improvement of anything I did.

I had it for a year before I ever turned it on, because I didn't like the idea of a computer tweaking things around instead of just playing them the way they were recorded. My mind changed awfully quickly when I heard it! Nothing really sounded worse, some songs sounded pretty similar, but others sounded much better.

Last edited:
Unless your room has perfect acoustics, I think you're going to want to use Audyssey no matter what (and I don't think it factors into the amp decision very much).

Depending on your room, I can imagine your mileage may vary, but in my room I tried different cables (power, speaker, and interconnect), different speaker placement, different preamp, different amp, different source, and turning on Audyssey was the biggest improvement of anything I did.

I had it for a year before I ever turned it on, because I didn't like the idea of a computer tweaking things around instead of just playing them the way they were recorded. My mind changed awfully quickly when I heard it! Nothing really sounded worse, some songs sounded pretty similar, but others sounded much better.

Thanks. I will likely set Audyssey + Voltage source.

BTW, not sure if anyone has seen this, but i will do this with Audyssey: http://idisk.mac.com/mschuetze-Public/AudysseyTipsTricks.pdf

Sorry to dig up this blast from the past, but I am trying to pull the trigger on a Sunfire TGA 5400 (hopefully get an answer soon). But I was curious about something.

My Vistas are currently Bi-Amp'd via Sherbourn 7/2100. Since the Sunfire will allow you to use both the Current and Voltage for the highs and lows from a single channel (essentially Bi-Wire) would there be any benefit from Bi-amping two channels from the Sunfire?

Seems to me that in this Sunfire set up, Bi-Wire and Bi-Amp would essentially be equal.

There is almost always a benefit to bi-amping vs. just bi-wiring. More power from the amp equals more overhead for peaks and sharp transients.

There is almost always a benefit to bi-amping vs. just bi-wiring. More power from the amp equals more overhead for peaks and sharp transients.

Thanks. That gives me a plan of attack for tomorrow as it looks like I am getting it.

I only Bi-Amp'd from the Sherbourn and it was a nice improvement over single wire. I never Bi-Wire'd so I had no point of reference.

I can't wait for tomorrow. I'm going to be sending a lot of juice to these Vistas now which is scaring me a bit!

Thai,

Regarding your question in Post No. 11 about what mode to use on your Denon AVR, I much preferred the former versus the "flat" setting in my 5.1. system.

GG

Ok, It is officially installed. Bi-Amp'd and I am digging the current output to panels.

Its amazing how amps can sound different, and how it can be so subtle.

When I first turned on the Sunfire, I was expecting a harder punch in the chest from my speakers. Especially considering I am more than doubling my WPC as the Sherbourn is rated 200 8ohm/300 4ohm compared to 400 8ohm/800 4ohm on the Sunfire. I was actually a little disappointed right off the bat.

But, a little tweaking, some crossover adjustments (that I was able to lower as compared to the Sherbourn. This is where the watt diff really showed its self) and a little volume changed everything.

The Vista's are singing a bigger tune now.

Someday I hope to be in a place to experience these subtle differences as described. My recent tweaks were/are more eye opening (and magnitudes less expensive) and thats coming from a not quite reformed sceptic. Here's to never settling for just ok! I enjoy reading about the "Big boy" systems. Someday...
-Rick

Back