Craziness on Ebay??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attyonline

Reaction score
I saw a Cinema center channel stand on ebay last week. I bid $100 but was outbid, which was not surprising. What was surprising was it sold for $440! Last I knew you could buy this stand new from ML for $200. Is this crazy or has something changed regarding the value of this stand? :eek:

I don’t think anything has changed; convenience may have been a selling factor here. I tried to buy a cinema stand from my dealer a few years back and was told on top of the $200 it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get it. :confused: Of course when you don’t know you can order from ML and it’s only $200, $400 may be a good deal if you think you can only get the stand with the cinema i.

if people are willing to pay a hundred bucks for a corn flake that looks like the Virgin Mary, nothing suprises me anymore.

The bidder probably didn't realize it was a stand?

I've seen so many auctions where the boxes are sold for really high price. i.e. Apple laptop "box, XBox 360 "box"... The seller puts in a long description and in the fine print it states the auction does not include the items but only the box. Of course people still bid on them anyway because they don't read...

Yang1815 said:
The bidder probably didn't realize it was a stand?

I've seen so many auctions where the boxes are sold for really high price. i.e. Apple laptop "box, XBox 360 "box"... The seller puts in a long description and in the fine print it states the auction does not include the items but only the box. Of course people still bid on them anyway because they don't read...

Well the box was pictured in the auction, but so was the stand, sitting on top of the box. The same person was selling the cinema center in a separate auction at the same time as this one. I don’t think someone could think they were getting a cinema center when it was never pictured with the stand, but hay it’s EBay. Anything can happen on EBay.

I sold my Mirage LF-100 subwoofer on EBay a few years ago. The sub sold for $199.95 new and I got $195 for it on eBay. If you can write a compelling store to someone explaining to them why what your selling is the next best thing to sliced bread, along with some beautiful photos you can entice more people to bid. It also helps when they don’t know what the value is of the product they are bidding on.

Zip3kx07 said:
It also helps when they don’t know what the value is of the product they are bidding on.
Exactly that's the point. You list something with a high buy it now and hopes someone not so smart would want it that bad and pay for that price.

But two and a half times the price of a new one??? Arrrgghh! :eek:

attyonline said:
But two and a half times the price of a new one??? Arrrgghh! :eek:

who knows? this is one hella crazy world where people spend thousands of dollars on speakers?!

MarkNewbie said:
Ok, ok. I am going to cancel my bid! I didn't know they were free! :eek:

Go ahead and bid if it’s worth $30 to you. They are out of print so getting one on EBay is about the only way you will get one now, unless someone has one and doesn’t want it any more?

I won an auction for a Cinema Stand on EBay last year. It was around $125 plus shipping.

Zip3kx07 said:
Go ahead and bid if it’s worth $30 to you. They are out of print so getting one on EBay is about the only way you will get one now, unless someone has one and doesn’t want it any more?

Joe, it was a joke. I feel the same way about it as you do. Was trying to throw some humor out there. Perhaps I should stick to my day job?

MarkNewbie said:
Joe, it was a joke. I feel the same way about it as you do. Was trying to throw some humor out there. Perhaps I should stick to my day job?

I have been collecting stuff like that from ML for a number of years now. I can see spending $10.00 but $32.00 for what was a free catalog. If I didn’t already have one I would be dumb enough to buy it, so I say if it worth it to you, buy it. Like a $400 cinema stand. :eek:

MarkNewbie said:

I thought it was funny... you're a funny man, Mark! ;)

With regards to the stand.. I think the bidder misunderstood the auction and thought he/she was bidding on the entire center.

Unlikely. The same seller sold a Cinema in the ad directly above it. The photo showed the Cinema by itself and its box. The ad for the stand showed the stand by itself and its box. It was obvious the auction was for the stand only.

Latest posts

Back