Crackling noise, will it hurt Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mmulumudi

I played a CD on my ML Summits. There was a loud crackling sound and then a pause. The subsequent tracks on that CD were ok. That particular track seem to do it every time.
Does this kind of noise hurt the speakers? Should I be careful with the CD's I play on these speakers?

mmulumudi said:
I played a CD on my ML Summits. There was a loud crackling sound and then a pause. The subsequent tracks on that CD were ok. That particular track seem to do it every time.
Does this kind of noise hurt the speakers? Should I be careful with the CD's I play on these speakers?
Hola. If you heard a cracking noise, and you know the cause of it, it is not better to play it. Sometimes a cracking noise could make a heavy transient, and not only could hurt the speakers, (mostly the woofers than the panels) but also could hurt your amplifier. Be carefull, do not play that if it is too strong. Look the cd to see if it is dirt or a fungus. Sometimes in a humid weather, your cds could become with fungus. Just wipe them with alcohol, or better, Isopropillic alcohol (please forgive my spelling) alcohol isopropilico in Spanish. It won't harm your cd plastic. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Last edited:
roberto said:
Hola. If you heard a cracking noise, and you know the cause of it, it is not better to play it. Sometimes a cracking noise could make a heavy transient, and not only could hurt the speakers, (mostly the woofers than the panels) but also could hurt your amplifier. Be carefull, do not play that if it is too strong. Whatch the cd to see is it is dirt or a fungus. Sometimes in a humid weather, your cds could become with fungus. Just wipe them with alcohol, or better, Isopropillic alcohol (please forgive my spelling) alcohol isopropilico in Spanish. It won't harm your cd plastic. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Those are some grate tips Roberto.

Also watch out for pink noise, running pink noise for too long or too loud can shorten the life of your equipment or seriously damage it.

Back