Covering a 15a panel with a pillow case

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stereoman

Reaction score
DaveA mentioned he purchased pillow cases to cover the panels on his speakers. That’s a great idea, but I couldn’t find a size that works for the 15a. I found a local supplier on Etsy who can make a custom-sized cover. I’m thinking of using a black silk material to avoid static electricity. Am I on the right track?

Do you or someone you know have a sewing machine? Turn them inside out and sew them end to end for length. After that sew them to width and you are finished. If no sewing machine access pin them the size you want and take them to a dry cleaner. Most of the do alterations.

I would think it would be cheaper than custom made cover.
I'm cheap and a DIYer when ever possible.

If you don't like the color dye them black.

Silk will work and you should not have to worry at all about static electricity and the panels. They make them very very durable, you can wash them, vacuum them and even puncture holes in them and they keep on ticking like an old Timex watch commercial. I have to say the one thing ML really does very well is make the speakers very durable for the materials they have to use (panels).

Silk will work and you should not have to worry at all about static electricity and the panels. They make them very very durable, you can wash them, vacuum them and even puncture holes in them and they keep on ticking like an old Timex watch commercial. I have to say the one thing ML really does very well is make the speakers very durable for the materials they have to use (panels).
Just wondering, how does ML compare to other electrostat companies like Quad? How is durability? Do Quad speaker panels need replacing after 15-20 years?

My Classic 9 came with black custom covers as delivered. I use them whenever not listening.
is that not the case with the 15 ?

You’re right, the 15a’s do come with a cover. However, it’s clunky because it covers the entire speaker, including the base cabinet. I want to cover the panel only, and be easy to use.

DaveA mentioned he purchased pillow cases to cover the panels on his speakers. That’s a great idea, but I couldn’t find a size that works for the 15a. I found a local supplier on Etsy who can make a custom-sized cover. I’m thinking of using a black silk material to avoid static electricity. Am I on the right track?

I've been doing regular pillow cases for years now, static was never a problem

So the 15A's come with two separate covers for each speaker; one white and one black. How about you cut one to fit without the cabinet portion right at the seams? That would be a cheap and easy fix.

So the 15A's come with two separate covers for each speaker; one white and one black. How about you cut one to fit without the cabinet portion right at the seams? That would be a cheap and easy fix.
Hmmm.... I only received a single cover for each of my 15a's. Maybe that is because I bought them during the sale last year! If so, I guess I'm happy to give up a speaker cover to save $5K!!! :ROFLMAO:

Silk is NOT a good choice...
<Is Silk Static Free? (How to De Static Silk Clothes Easily)>

I guess I was thinking of it mechanically as it will not hurt anything. Of course cosmetically it is what it is. I'm not a cosmetic guy but I do see that for many people it will make a big difference.

Man I lucked out with this. I had a guy here local make me covers. He specializes in vintage wooden boat covers and had some sample material one of his suppliers sent him to evaluate, it cost him nothing. He made these for me for $40, they are some type of nylon type material on the outside and a soft cloth material inside, I had no choice in the color.
C79F84A2-FD2E-40D2-9355-9CB8B88E9E75.jpeg

With respect...this appears to be a solution to a non-existent problem
If it had value, ML would sell them direct for $99 each and make good money.

With respect...this appears to be a solution to a non-existent problem
If it had value, ML would sell them direct for $99 each and make good money.
Logically it makes some sense though. The static charge is on there for a bit after you turn off the stereo, so during that time it would be especially effective. I cant remember how long they are on, its not long though. Then the dust can settle on the panel after that at a much slower rate. It cant hurt doing it.

I dont know the difference between the charge level, but my electrostatic air cleaner attracts a lot of dust.

Regardless of static charge, this is probably a good idea. "stuff" collects on surfaces over time no matter what. Have you ever cleaned a glass picture frame after it's been hanging for 2-3 years. It will have a light film of haze on it. That haze will build up on the mylar diaphragms whether they are charged or not, and can't be doing the sound any favors. I live near L.A. with 50% humidity and moderate pollution.

Back