Cosmetic 'Tweak'

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

OldMacGuy

This isn't really a 'tweak,' but I found this cosmetic fix helpful. I purchased a pair of reQuests earlier this year from a dealer selling them on consignment. Although they were shipped in the original packaging, the top center portion of both panels sustained visible scuffing and discoloration due to the styrofoam blocks used by ML to protect the panels from damage. I called the dealer for help, and he made several suggestions, none of which really solved the problem.

Next, I called Jim Power, who suggested I try cleaning the marks with a mild solvent; better, but still visible. Then I remembered an old standby from my car restoration days, back in the day: Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #6, a gentle rubbing compound used by pro auto paint refinishers. I applied a very small amount to a clean cotton cloth and rubbed the damaged spots gently, then let it dry for a half hour and buffed lightly. It removed every bit of the scuff marks and discoloration. I applied a small amount of car polish to the rest of the top portion of the panel to blend in the finish evenly. It seemed to do a terrific job.

I hope this is helpful. If you have tried another method/product that works well, I would be interested in hearing about it. Thank you.

Hey that was good info about the scuff mark removal. I like that! Being a car nut I had thought about that for my Prodigy but never got around to it.

On another cosmetic tweak note, I just ordered some of the light oak panels for both my Prodigy and Ascent to have them on hand since they are a clearance item now. Who knows how much longer they will be available. What I WANTED was the Piano Black rails for both, but they don't do those anymore they say! DANG IT! A couple of the sets were $135! I figure I could not make them for anything close to that and they probably would not fit well anyway! This gives me an extra set to play with too!

SOOO, I'll let you know how it turns out, but I have contacted a auto paint and body guy to see if he can help out on this matter! Should look really nice w/ my system (I should have done this upgrade YEARS AGO when ML was still making them)...

Back