Considering buying ML Ascents?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bheav2

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to electrostatic speakers who is considering buying a pair of ML Ascents that I found in my local area classifieds. My question is that I'm concerned with the longevity or life span of these speakers. Assuming they have been well cared for and I of course will do the same, can I expect them to last for many years to come without major repairs? It is my understanding that if a panel fails, replacement panels are very expensive.
Any input is appreciated, thank you.

panels can last 20+ years, depending on the environment they're in and what kind of care the owner took with them. Look at them closely.. Look at the mylar and see if there is dust/dirt/grime on them. Humidity and smoke are the two things that will shorten a panels lifespan the most.. UV rays are not good either. Listen to them and make sure they are both at the same volume level.. Switch from right to left channel with the balance control on the pre-amp or receiver.. They should be playing at the same loudness level. Of course, look at the owners house and how he takes care of his belongings.. This will tell you a lot about what kinda shape the speakers are in.

and yes, replacement panels are pricey, but you can also have them rebuilt by a 3rd party that has had rave reviews from MLO members. Good luck.

Unless you receive assurance that the panels have been replaced in the last few years, I would factor panel replacement into the cost of the speakers. It doesn't mean you will necessarily have to replace the panels, or that you might not get lucky and get another 20+ years out of them - just be aware that panel replacement might be your end-game, otherwise you'll have a very big set of paperweights.

Other than that though - you'll have a marvellous set of speakers which (even if you do replace the panels) will be nigh on impossible to out-perform for anything near the cost.

So just provide yourself with assurance that you can still afford them, if the panels do need replacement.

Enjoy!

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to electrostatic speakers who is considering buying a pair of ML Ascents that I found in my local area classifieds. My question is that I'm concerned with the longevity or life span of these speakers. Assuming they have been well cared for and I of course will do the same, can I expect them to last for many years to come without major repairs? It is my understanding that if a panel fails, replacement panels are very expensive.

Totally agree with amey01. Adding if you can afford to replace panels that will cost I guess above $2000. CLS panels cost $2840. And your current expense on Ascent is around $1000.
Then by spending $3000 you will acquire 20 year old technology. Ascent came out in Year 2000.
If you spend $4000 today you can get latest technology ESL X loudspeaker.

Conclusion:
I would advise first listen to ESL X. Then listen to second hand Ascent prior to buying. Make a mental comparison. If the ESL X sounds superior then I would say buy ESL X if you can afford the extra $1000. ESL X is new and will last 10 to 15 years easy. Perhaps the electronics in Ascent will need repair inside of 5 or 10 years since it is at least 17 years old. If the electronics need repair can you replace the faulty part yourself or will you need expensive outside help. And important determine if replacement components for Ascent are available at ML. CLS panels are available but power module components are no longer available by ML.

Have fun listening to music.:music:

Last edited by a moderator:
ESL X is new and will last 10 to 15 years easy..

Just to clarify - the first ESL X was the Summit, released in 2005, so not necessarily lasting 10-15 years easy - but, like anything, will depend on how it is maintained.

My advice would be the same for any ML older than 5 years or so - factor in cost of replacement panels. You may need to replace them immediately, or never. That will come down to luck, and how well *you* maintain them.

But at least factor it in.

Just to clarify - the first ESL X was the Summit, released in 2005, so not necessarily lasting 10-15 years easy - but, like anything, will depend on how it is maintained.

My advice would be the same for any ML older than 5 years or so - factor in cost of replacement panels. You may need to replace them immediately, or never. That will come down to luck, and how well *you* maintain them.

But at least factor it in.

I was referring to Electromotion X when I mentioned ESL X. Electromotion X is available for $4000.

Sorry for confusion.

the electromotion ESL is very small and IMHO doesn't (and can't) compete with the Ascent. Get a good amp, refurb the panels and get them in a good room and they will amaze you. EM-ESL would be good for a smaller room, though... a good entry level stat.

the electromotion ESL is very small and IMHO doesn't (and can't) compete with the Ascent. Get a good amp, refurb the panels and get them in a good room and they will amaze you. EM-ESL would be good for a smaller room, though... a good entry level stat.

I was referring to Electromotion ESL X. This is larger than entry level stat. ESL X has 40 inch height and 8.6 inch width. ESL 9 44 inch high and 9.2 inch wide. Sorry for confusion.

Yah. Tom gives good advice. Look at them. Listen to them. I’ve had my odyssey’s for around 15 years? No issues and sound great. If it’s local shouldn’t be an issue. What would you be powering them with?

Hey there. I am also in Florida (Sarasota) and have been the proud 1st owner of a pair of Ascent i's that I have been and still are enjoying. The sound is fantastic. Unfortunately, we are downsizing and I am looking to sell my Ascents. They are in great condition and sound perfect. They have Monster bi-wire cables. I power them with a Krell KAV-400xi integrated amp, which I am also looking to sell. Please let me know if you are interested and make me an offer.

I have a pair of the original Ascents I purchased SH about 5 years ago. They've performed without problems. When I purchased them I removed the panels and showered them as some on here recommend, but I've not done anything else to them. I use them with original Townshend Isolda cable from a Lavardin IT amplifier.

Back