Considering Arcam AVR 500

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyVee

Reaction score
Hi all.. auditioned the Arcam AVR-600 yesterday and was told the AVR-500 is pretty much the same sound quality wise. The 600 is out of my price bracket but the 500 is not if I sell my Rotel AVR & amplifier.

I really like the AVR-500 for is SQ, headphone out, auto calibration & room correction. I was also told that the internal DAC's are amazing and that I may not need my PS Audio DAC. (not too sure of this) I'm now running an Apple TV with my music collection ripped in Apple Lossless feeding the DAC via optical.

Am I nuts even considering going to the Arcam with the Rotel only being a year old? Are the Arcam Class G amps capable of driving the Clarity's or Vistas to their potential?
Can I really use the AVR-500 DAC's instead of the PS Audio III for my Apple TV?

(not considering the 600 or 888 right now as I have an empty finished basement and when funds allow, will build a new higher end 2 chan / AV system from scratch)

It would surely simplify my system. Not sure if it's really an upgrade or sideways move. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mark

I was also told that the internal DAC's are amazing and that I may not need my PS Audio DAC.
Arcam used to use Wolfson Chip DAC's in their products. Now I see in the 500 they have switched to Crystal. Nothing amazing about any of them, like any other DAC chip. It is all about how they USE the DAC and especially the circuit after it.

Can I really use the AVR-500 DAC's instead of the PS Audio III for my Apple TV?
Depends on which sound you like better, so.....it is up to you to decide.

Am I nuts even considering going to the Arcam with the Rotel only being a year old? Are the Arcam Class G amps capable of driving the Clarity's or Vistas to their potential? Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark -- It is difficult to envision that one would be disappointed with Arcam, and their 500/600 AVRs seem like excellent units. While that are a number of things I really appreciate about Arcam, perhaps the two most significant (to me) are (1) the Sound, and (2) the Value.

I sincerely believe you will find the AVR500 an excellent choice for your needs.

Be sure to check out the reviews (try WSR, for the very similar 600), and, more importantly, be sure to have a good listen!

Good Luck!

Back