Considerations for speakers in open plan layout

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Audiophile

Reaction score
I'm looking at options for placement of my speakers and home theatre in a new open plan layout with a fireplace wall. My L/R speakers are currently Spires which I plan to keep for the immediate future. Wondering what speakers to mount on the fireplace wall. There will be a large OLED there and my initial thoughts was to use MLs architectural series to do some flush mount speakers around the TV for L/C/R. More recently, I've been intrigued by SONY's Acoustic Surface Audio+ which allows the TV to act as a center channel by way of actuators that use the TV panel itself as a center speaker. If I used that TV panel for the center (assuming the quality is sufficient for dialog), then there would be no need to spend the extra effort (e.g. cutting through porcelain tile) and expense on flush mounts and my Spires would remain as L/R for both stereo and home theater.

My second concern with the open plan is what to put for side and/or rear speakers (likely this will be a 5.1.4 setup). Would the Motion SLMs on stands be appropriate for that duty?

Looking for any comments, especially from those who own any of the aforementioned speakers.

Last edited:
Here is my room, which is Living, Dining, and Kitchen. The right wall is 85% glass windows.
Room-2022a.jpg

As good as my Sony tv sounds when using the internal "speakers", it is not going to be sufficient when using "actual" speakers for all the other channels. I just don't think it will work well at all. I just upgraded from a Motif to a C18 Focus center speaker and the improvement is simply amazing! So, please consider at least trying a really good center speaker. I used to need to increase the center volume a few dB in order to hear it better, but with a better speaker, no extra volume is needed.

The Tribute and Icon both have rotatable tweeters for vertical/horizontal mounting. In-wall is what I would prefer. Or, you could get SLM XL for the LCR, which I believe would be much better than using the Sony tv as a center speaker.

The SLMs should work very well as surrounds, much better than the 4i that I chose instead for the same purpose and used for several years. I've got in-wall speakers now, the IW model (which are now the MW6), and they perform very well. So the 4i are now used for ATMOS Tops.

Thanks for the good ideas! I do have a Stage center which I currently use, but I won't have a place for it on the fireplace wall under the TV. How/where do you have the C18 Focus mounted? I've also been looking at the in-walls for ATMOS, like what you suggest. Do you find the back speakers necessary or even useful? They seem to be way behind the MLP, which will be my situation too. Seems like 4 ceiling mounts could be more effective over the MLP area like you show.

Well, my Motif is still mounted above the tv panel. Just have been lazy about removing it. I'd have no problem mounting the Focus above the tv if it weighed just a bit less and such that I could handle it myself, should I feel the need to do so. Instead, the Focus is on a IsoAcoustics Aperta 300 isolator sitting on a petrified tree stump that weighs close to 100lbs.

I get it about the fireplace. Kinda constrains your options. I don't think the Stage likes being mounted on a wall, needs room behind it. But it's a great speaker!

ML has great in-ceiling speakers if you have a ceiling that isn't a roof, like mine is, so my Tops are hanging from the ceiling. I am a big fan of the folded ribbon tweeter. Clean sound, nice dispersion, no complaints from me!

I do like having the Rear Surrounds, just like I enjoy having the Tops. It really just is a room by room decision. If it works without too much trouble, then it's nice to have. My Left Rear Surround was a challenge, but ended up working out great.

I don't have a photo showing the Focus, but here's one just before I got it. I'm in the process of moving all the components to the rear of the room. The three mics were for testing subwoofer stacking, not for what you see in the photo, this is the normal arrangement, but I tested stacking six subs and moving the stack to find out what might happen. It confirmed that stacking two or three subs is about all that's needed. My ceiling is a cathedral ceiling, so it's also the roof, so no holes.
AV-room-stereo-stacks-cropped.jpeg

I'm looking at options for placement of my speakers and home theatre in a new open plan layout with a fireplace wall. My L/R speakers are currently Spires which I plan to keep for the immediate future. Wondering what speakers to mount on the fireplace wall. There will be a large OLED there and my initial thoughts was to use MLs architectural series to do some flush mount speakers around the TV for L/C/R. More recently, I've been intrigued by SONY's Acoustic Surface Audio+ which allows the TV to act as a center channel by way of actuators that use the TV panel itself as a center speaker. If I used that TV panel for the center (assuming the quality is sufficient for dialog), then there would be no need to spend the extra effort (e.g. cutting through porcelain tile) and expense on flush mounts and my Spires would remain as L/R for both stereo and home theater.

My second concern with the open plan is what to put for side and/or rear speakers (likely this will be a 5.1.4 setup). Would the Motion SLMs on stands be appropriate for that duty?

Looking for any comments, especially from those who own any of the aforementioned speakers.

FWIW, I know this is a common install but be careful with TV mounted above fireplace. I have a friend who mounted a screen above his fireplace but fires were hot enough to melt the frame of the TV!

FWIW, I know this is a common install but be careful with TV mounted above fireplace. I have a friend who mounted a screen above his fireplace but fires were hot enough to melt the frame of the TV!
Yes, are working very closely with the builder, architect, and fireplace vendor to make sure that there is enough separation/insulation from the firebox using the guidelines they've provided. We chose a low, linear design to further separate those distances.

How about a sore neck too? Way too high unless you have one of those modern fireplaces that's long and low.

Yes, are working very closely with the builder, architect, and fireplace vendor to make sure that there is enough separation/insulation from the firebox using the guidelines they've provided. We chose a low, linear design to further separate those distances.

Not just proximity to firebox but also heat rising from face of fireplace vertically past the screen. My friend actually put in a mantle to deflect the rising heat.

Back