Conrad Tube amps for the Vantage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Khairil

Greetings from Malaysia.

I recently auditioned a pair of Vantage speakers and was suitably impressed. The amp used was a solid state Spectral 250 wpc steroblock, which I found to be very neutral, almost whitish. But it exerted great control over the panels.

Back home on the ranch, I have a pair of Conrad Johnson Premier 8As' putting out more than 220 watts per side (conservatively).

I was wondering if they would work well with the Vantage? I have no way of bringing in a pair of Vantage for auitioning in my listening room as they are not distributed where I live.

The pre amp is a Jadis JP 70 (also tubed).

The room is an odd shaped one measuring 17' x 12", with a high ceiling.

The conrads drove a pair of watt puppy 5.1's well in that room, and I was given to understand by the distributors that the impedence curve of the Vantage is less demanding of the Watt Puppy. Also, Vantage is actively amplified, and the conrad will end up driving the panels only.

But will it work?

With thanks in anticipation for your comments,

Khairil

No prob

The CJ should work well driving the Vantage's panels. Is it possible that you can try your CJ Premier 8 in triode mode, using EL34 tubes for more midrange bloom? 130 triode watts from Prem-8 are more than enough to drive the panels.

Spike

Spike said:
The CJ should work well driving the Vantage's panels. Is it possible that you can try your CJ Premier 8 in triode mode, using EL34 tubes for more midrange bloom? 130 triode watts from Prem-8 are more than enough to drive the panels.

Spike
Sounds like good advise.
:)

Spike,

Many thanks for the suggestion. I have always like the bloom of EL 34's (and you can see from the other components in the chain where I come from) but this entails a decline in watts (and current?). I did not try it with my Watt Puppies, but will the panels be driven sufficiently by the change, you think?

Best,

Khairil

That's still plenty of power to drive the Vantages. I'm driving a pair of Summits with an Art Audio Jota amp that outputs 24 watts and it sounds great. I'm with Spike...I'm sure the Vantages (which are similiar to the Summits) will do well with your CJ amp in triode mode. The amp only has to drive the panels since the woofers are internally powered and are essentially biamped.

EL 34's on the CJ

Much obliged, Craig.

EL 34's here we go :)

Now will someone else confirm that single ended triodes will do? Just joking ;)

Best

Khairil

Khairil said:
Much obliged, Craig.

EL 34's here we go :)

Best

Khairil
Hola...the 6CA7/EL34s are one of the best sounding tubes available today. With your new Vantage, you will get one of the warmest sound capable to my ears and liking. Also, CJ uses ML as a tool design. Go for them, you won´t regret it. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Ask and you'll get your answer...

Khairil said:

Umm, yes. A member (Steve Daigneault) has BIG triodes in terms of Cary 805C Anniversary monoblocs driving ML Vantages. Follow this link to his thread Bought some Vantages where the discussion involve CJ Premier 140, VAC & Cary amplifiers for the ML Vantages. I chimed into this thread on the 2nd page and the CJ vs Cary vs VAC discussion got started. Happy Reading...

Spike

Many thanks

..gentlemen for the advice.

Things are really looking up and I'm getting details from the Conrad dealer to get the mods done, hopefully without having to ship the Premier 8s back to the States :rolleyes:

Your advice is much appreciated as the number of ML and CJ users in Malaysia is somewhat limited. Many of the newer installations are in AV systems, which have different parameters to satisfy.

Muchos gracias.

Back