Connecting Motions with Dynamo using Speaker Level Inputs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konstantine

Reaction score
Hello friends
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Motion 20i. Within the next couple weeks i have to decide on the amplificatiion. After auditioning several integrated amps, such as Cambridge Audio, Arcam, Naim etc, i will end up choosing between Exposure and Tsakiridis Devices Aeolos tube amp. The Exposure amp was the clearest of all, with rich lows and dynamics, excellent mids, and i must say that standed out on the A/B tests even between the Naim !!! But, the tube amp added something else too. Better 3D soundstage and imaging. Amazing !
Anyway, the only reason i still consider the Exposure, is the fact that it offers pre-outs, so i can connect a subwoofer. Unfortunately, the tube amp it only has 4 speaker connections. Has anyone here has, or previously connected his Dynamo using the Speaker Level Inputs of the sub directly with either the Motion Speakers or the speaker terminals of his amp, to tell us what he thinks about?
Thank you

Last edited:
It should not make any difference. They are designed so you can use either input. You should go for it. But, if you are buying a new sub from ML, please look at the one you want and then buy the next bigger one. Your sub will be doing all the heavy lifting for your deep bass and/or loud bass. You will NEVER regret buying a sub that is all you can afford. That is the one place you can stretch your budget. When you are all setup and done with your system, can you please let us know how it sounds and how you have it set up? A lot of us on here like to know this stuff. We are (and especially me) information junkies! :)

It should not make any difference. They are designed so you can use either input. You should go for it. But, if you are buying a new sub from ML, please look at the one you want and then buy the next bigger one. Your sub will be doing all the heavy lifting for your deep bass and/or loud bass. You will NEVER regret buying a sub that is all you can afford. That is the one place you can stretch your budget. When you are all setup and done with your system, can you please let us know how it sounds and how you have it set up? A lot of us on here like to know this stuff. We are (and especially me) information junkies! :)
It also seems a lot of members on here recommend getting 2 subs. Two medium priced quality subs being better than one very expensive? Servo subs.

Thank you for the help !
Actually what i will do at the moment is after having received the 20i to run them for a while with my Rega amplification. I will shortly though either replace the Rega with the new amplification, or just proceed with the sub. Whatever happens though, i will gladly post my opinion :)

It also seems a lot of members on here recommend getting 2 subs. Two medium priced quality subs being better than one very expensive? Servo subs.
Yes, two subs is also something i am planning and will experiment with. Will take some time though since at the moment i am in the process of building my new audio room. Thank you Robert !

Yes, two subs is also something i am planning and will experiment with. Will take some time though since at the moment i am in the process of building my new audio room. Thank you Robert !
Ive always only had one, have a Depth i now. I plan on doing a new system when I build a new home and use 2 subs then. I am thinking of 2 of these:
Rythmik Audio • 18" servo subwoofer FV18

Robert, TWIN 18s!!!! That should start vibrating you house down right after you build it. The only advice I can give you for your home theater/music room is to really, really try to build it so there is nothing in the room that can vibrate, like the ceiling, doors and windows, A/C vents, lighting and so on. If you really try to build it vibration proof, then when you actually use it, any vibrations (noises) you hear should be easily fixed with a little tweaking and caulking. Only use the sledgehammer as a last resort on a new house! :)

Robert, TWIN 18s!!!! That should start vibrating you house down right after you build it. The only advice I can give you for your home theater/music room is to really, really try to build it so there is nothing in the room that can vibrate, like the ceiling, doors and windows, A/C vents, lighting and so on. If you really try to build it vibration proof, then when you actually use it, any vibrations (noises) you hear should be easily fixed with a little tweaking and caulking. Only use the sledgehammer as a last resort on a new house! :)
Yeah, going to have it in the basement on a slab and no windows in the room. I will have a local Hi fi shop here that does theaters design and build it. Thinking about decoupling the walls to avoid rattles. Not sure what they do with the ceiling.

Back