Quantcast

Confused

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

pegwill

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I wonder if you can clear up my confusion which is basically loudspeaker response and room response.

I have just watched the following

Which deals with speaker response that I interpret to be setting up your system to account for all elements of your system including cables etc. While it appears to be using some form of electronic frequency tuning. Could this be done by using an graphic equaliser (or parametric) for modifying analogue signals instead of digital?

If it is possible to do the above do you still have to do room treatments?

As you can see doing the first option has lots of advantages as applying room treatments in a domestic setting is not easy. It also strikes me that if you use room treatments you would have to redo the speaker response.

I realise that by using some form of analogue equaliser is adding something else in the sign al chain but as with everything we do it is always some form of trade off.

You wisdom would be welcomed please.

Many thanks

Regards

William

spkrdctr

Reaction score
Welcome! You have just jumped into the deep end of the pool. Luckily we have some REW users who can answer all your questions. Sadly, it is not me!

ttocs

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
The order of importance I use is:
Placement
Placement
Placement
Treatment
Tubes
Calibration

The point of this is to say that where the speakers are placed is the most important part of the puzzle. Location, toe or no toe, tilt, all of which is free, it just takes time. Along with this, look at the room. Is it filled with hard surfaces and no furniture? or lots of absorbing carpet and soft furniture? This all plays into what is needed for possible treatment and how much treatment if/probably needed.

Another point to make is that calibration can't fix a bad room. Maybe it can help, but that's a stretch.

I'm still in the process of changing some things with my system which involves subwoofers. While things are great for the theater side of things for which I use Dirac room correction, I still don't use correction for two channel above a few hundred Hz. I just don't like it. Or, to put it another way, I haven't been able to use it for anything except for bass and be happy. I enjoy the natural sound - the good and bad or whatever - of what the stat panels put out.

My room is old wood floors over a basement, no carpet, 1" thick plaster walls and ceilings, and an entire wall of glass windows. There are several rugs with heavy pads underneath specifically for the sound, otherwise I'd just love to only have the wood flooring. The most important rug is between the seating and the speakers, and no coffee table in the middle to cause unwanted reflections or trap any sound. I use very little treatment, but could use some more, but it's not a high priority considering the huge and lifelike soundstage I enjoy.

The things I've been changing in my system are absolute and total "wants", not "needs". I'm doing it for getting that last 1%, loving to tinker, education, etc. But it's not because there was a underlying huge problem to fix. But by doing this I did discover something that happens when both Left and Right speakers are playing mono bass, and that is a null between 60-70Hz, so it now is this null that I'm fixing - but not with calibration because calibration can't fix it, it's being fixed by adding a subwoofer to work with the L&R.