Conclusions and Confusions: Not just another "Which Amplifier" thread...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What i am hearing you imply is that with my system, not only does it not matter whether I get the x350 or x350.5 but I am likely overthinking it and likely dont even need to upgrade from my current B&K7270 (200x x 7)...:confused:

No, I didn't mean it to sound like that, in fact it sounds like you have some pretty good upstream gear. I'd think either amp would be a noticeable improvement over the B&K. Not that the B&K stuff is throw away, but the Pass amps would offer a level of refinement and grip that the B&K simply isn't capable of. All I was questioning was if the stuff upstream would allow you to detect the differences between the two Pass amps.

I just installed a Sonos setup in my system too (listening to Kings of Leon over it right now as a matter of fact). While it's very good indeed running through my Dodson Audio DAC, it still doesn't have quite the musicality of my Esoteric player. I'm working on a full review right now, but even this morning comparing the Sonos, my Esoteric and my analog rig, the Sonos still has some shortcomings in the areas of soundstage width and depth, dynamics and bottom end extension compared to the other sources. You might want to consider auditioning a nice SACD capable player, possibly even one with a digital input like one of the Cary's, as well as adding the lower priced Pass amp. That way you'd be improving both the source as well as the amplifier offering some improvements front to back.

Either way, you can't go wrong with the Pass amps (this coming from a dedicated BAT guy).

The passlabs 350 is available on agon for under $3k versus more than twice as much for the 350.5.

I don't know if they still do, but there was a time that PASS would upgrade a 350 to a 350.5. I have no idea what the cost is or if it is cost effective. However, it is a backup position if you purchase the 350 and somewhere down the road the rest of your system surpasses the limits of the older design. IMHO you have a way to go.

I don't know if they still do, but there was a time that PASS would upgrade a 350 to a 350.5. I have no idea what the cost is or if it is cost effective. However, it is a backup position if you purchase the 350 and somewhere down the road the rest of your system surpasses the limits of the older design. IMHO you have a way to go.

I think you're right Jerry. I checked with the dealer and Pass doesnt upgrade the 350. apparently, the 350.5 is TRULY a different amp in design, components, circuitry and its highly misleading to even name them so similar to each other. In sound output, I will be shocked if many people without massively revealing systems can hear a difference

Do not hesitate go to Audiogon and don't waste $$ elsewhere. Do a search for ARAGON. ARAGON, although discontinued is still supported by Klipsch and will be for years to come. They are often referrred to as "poor man's Krell" because their original amp electrical designs were created by Dan D'Agostino (of Krell) and all the later designs evolved from there. But don't let the term "Porr Man's" throw you, the internal build in on par with any of the best of today.

Once you search Audiogon for ARAGON you will find a pair of NOS Palladium 1K listed for $3200. You should be able to buy them for $2500-2700. You will also find an Aragon 3005 which is 300 wpc 5 channel amp listed for $1650, $1200-1400 is realistic. Use the Palladiums for your mains and the 3005 for everything else. I ran this setup with Summits, Theater i center and "other" surrounds. The Processor was an Anthem Statement D2, considered by many at that time to be the best sounding pre-pro out there for 2 ch analog. I now run my Palladiums with my Summits in a 2 channel only rig with a Balanced Audio Technologies preamp, Meridian 808 CDP and about $7K worth of analog front end. Even with all the somewhat lofty gear I have no desire to change out the Pals for anything else. You can view my past and current setup under system 143.

With some sharp negotiation you can wind up with your amps for much less than $5K at your door. Then, get yourself a high quality set of silver ICs between your processor and amps. Since you claim to like "bright" those ICs will retain the extended highs.

YOU MAY NEVER NEED OR WANT ANYTHING ELSE....
But if you do decide you want to change you will sell them off to someone in Parsippany and probably get every penny back....lol

The 400 wpc Palladiums run class A all the way up to 140 wpc, which means you will probably only get to crossover to class B 1to2% of the time. You can definitly hear the efortless sound of high powered amps...they just sound...well ....big. Smaller amps in the 200 wpc range will sound a bit compressed at high SPL. I respectfully dissagree with your conclusion #1...but that subject can consume an entire thread!

OBTW...I'm from your area, and I built what used to be the Holiday Inn Plaza Hotel and Conference center downtown ( don't know what it is now)

very few 5 channel amps can run all m logan system,krell tas has 2 x2kw transformer i only use it to run centre channel or front three arc ref 600mkIII break.rear amp vk-500 upgrading soon pass labs x350.5.power and quality is what you need,movies have huge range and all amps will clip,newer m logans summits etc are easier to drive.regarding too much power since upgrading to arc ref 600mkIII even with sub standard pre,bat vk 5,mid range and highs sound like music,even movie audio has improved far more than i could of hoped,now small ref 210 for music great match etc.pass labs x350.5 or larger.all components in system important (weakest link)amps character or lack of more important than you may thing.vic

Latest posts

Back