Computer Questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taz

Well I have been looking for a new computer and thank all who have answered questions. I have another idea I would like some thoughts on from any computer guru out there. I was looking at prices for new PC and to really get what I want I do not really want to spend that much(coming out of my audio budget:( ) right now I have this:
P4 2.0ghz
512 mb RDRAM > Raise to 2 GB
WD 75 MB ATA hard drive for op system > WD Raptor 160GB
Nvidia 128mb Gforce FX 5900 XT > 6000 series with 512mb
With the changes in red would that be a worth while upgrade for the $$ or breakdown and get a new PC with a Core Duo 2 and less of a hard drive a video card then above. Thanks for you thoughts.

Editing home movies is the most demanding, then common use, internet, word excel powerpoint etc. streaming music, photos. Is that enough info. Thanks

editing home movies and streaming needs more power and disk space that you have listed.

I would go for one of the new duo core 3.0 gig cpus for intel and at least two drives one of which is at least 500 gigs. The other can be 100 gigs for the operating system and programs.

The new sata drives from seagate are quite quick. $300 gets you 500 gigs these days.

You will also need a reasonable video card for the editing-Nvidia 6600 gt should work for that.

Most new computers have reasonable sound (not hi end sound) but for editing it should be fine. There are very good sound cards should you wish to drive a good system from this computer.

The parts I just described should work fine for the applications you gave me and the 2nd disk will be large enough for your CD collection for streaming.

1000 CDs take up a little less than 300 gigs when lossless compression is used.

The editing is what is CPU intensive.

Joel

Thanks for the feedback, I stream my music to a SB3 so the sound card should not mater right?

right: if you stream to another device and do the DAC elsewhere the sound card does not matter.

Video takes a LOT of space by the way. I haveseveral external drives full of my videos of our trips we have taken. They are waiting for me to edit for DVD production.

Joel

lugano said:
I'd switch to Mac. It's the right time to do it.
I have never had one I was thinking about it. I am worried about compatability there site says it is not a issue anymore but I don not know the also claim to be faster and safer any thoughts? Or anything else good or bad that comes with the switch? Would love some thoughts Thanks<!-- / message -->

Soooo fast and easy you'll never go back

Get an Apple. (At least take an in-store look at them). The switch was super easy for me a few years back. Think about it, if it wasn't easy it would be a nail in Apple's coffin.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Mac is great for graphics (photoshop). Video is about the same (Adobe Premier). Sound is sbout the same but.

The best sound will come from an expensive sound card that does go in a Mac. Ipods are best with a MAC.

PC's are easier to modify and upgrade piece by piece.

Windows has most of the best accounting and office software.

PCs via Linux are really great as servers.

Macs are far more intuitive for the non scientific crowd that grew up with Fortran.

Those perfer PCs.

I use both.

Joel

lugano said:
Taz, read this...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/perspectives/now-im-a-believer/2006/08/14/1155407745917.html

Me and other fellow Mac & ML users on this site are surely ready to help you out and see the light...

the nearest Apple Store to your location is this one:

http://www.apple.com/retail/legacyvillage/map/
Thanks for the links and my interest in Mac is growing. I need to go to the store and check them out in person. I have my whole CD collection on flac and sending to a SB3 would there being any issues there. I would hate to have to reburn them all. Thanks again to you all for your feedback.

rampage60 said:
Wrong forum.... needs to move to "Off-Topic".
You are right, but the reason I started on this forum is after reading for awhile I liked the the idea that it was a group of fine people with common interest. That treated each other with respect and enjoyed the conversation of others. so looking at the big picture does it relly matter?

Taz said:
You are right, but the reason I started on this forum is after reading for awhile I liked the the idea that it was a group of fine people with common interest. That treated each other with respect and enjoyed the conversation of others. so looking at the big picture does it relly matter?

I don't think that it's soooo off-topic. With so many people having ripped their music on their computers, the computer itself becomes a part of the "music reproduction gear". Some people make their own DVDs with a digital camera as input and watch them on their home theatre, too. At this point talking about what computer to buy is almost like discussing solid state vs lamps.
And btw Taz, you won't need to re-rip all your CDs.

lugano said:
I don't think that it's soooo off-topic. With so many people having ripped their music on their computers, the computer itself becomes a part of the "music reproduction gear". Some people make their own DVDs with a digital camera as input and watch them on their home theatre, too. At this point talking about what computer to buy is almost like discussing solid state vs lamps.
And btw Taz, you won't need to re-rip all your CDs.
Great point looking at the time on my computer almost all of it is spent doing something that will affect my system. Editing home movies and burning to DVD, all my music is on their, all my pictures, Internet research on audio and video, this site etc.

FLAC lossless should work with most of the music servers out there and any you want to home brew.

I have my 1100 Cds ripped n wma losselless on a hard disk in my main (fast computer) and access them wirelessly using wma 11 (beta) in several locations in my home with no problem-even on my good Vantage speakers.

Joel

took me 7 years to switch to Apple

I am very happy to have switched to Apple after 7 years . I use it mostly for Video streaming (converting my VHS tape to DVD), Photo, & music.
Application and timing was just right for me. I purchased Microsoft office so I can transfer all my MS office files from my old PC.

The good part is all the software needed to do all of the above (except Ms office) were already part of the system. All I can say is I'm a very satisfied apple user. :p

Back