compatability question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navi

Reaction score
Well for Fathers day my wife surprised me with the Denon avr3808 that she had seen me peaking at for quite some time. My montages are still in the boxes awaiting me to pull the trigger on a center channel. My question is with the 3808 rated for 8 ohm and the montages being a 5 ohm speaker am i going to run into issues?

I know from experience with car audio (dont flame me :eek: ) that impedance rise plays into the picture there, is the same true with home audio?

Well for Fathers day my wife surprised me with the Denon avr3808 that she had seen me peaking at for quite some time. My montages are still in the boxes awaiting me to pull the trigger on a center channel. My question is with the 3808 rated for 8 ohm and the montages being a 5 ohm speaker am i going to run into issues?

I know from experience with car audio (dont flame me :eek: ) that impedance rise plays into the picture there, is the same true with home audio?

Common sense is the key. The thing with lower impedance loads is that it is harder on the amp. As long as you exercise common sense with the volume you'll be fine.

That Denon should be just fine with the Montage. Unlike electrostats, this speaker remains pretty close to its nominal rated impedance and is relatively easy to drive.

I had the same question about the use of an AVR-3808 with my Vantages and was directed to this response in the FAQ section of the Denon website:

Can I use 4 ohm loudspeakers with my Denon receiver or power amplifier?​

Yes, you certainly can.​

To understand this a bit better, first realize that all amplifiers are designed to deliver a signal into an electrical "load" or resistance presented by the loudspeaker. We measure resistance in units called "ohms" (after the German physicist Georg Simon Ohm, 1787–1854).​

Conventional wisdom makes an 8 ohm loudspeaker load the most acceptable because it "protects" the amplifier from delivering too much current. A 4 ohm loudspeaker can encourage a marginally designed amplifier to deliver more current than it comfortably can.​

However, you should remember that a loudspeaker’s impedance rating is a nominal or average one: A speaker rated at 8 ohms may actually vary from 5 (sometimes even less) to 20 ohms or higher, depending on the frequency at which you measure the impedance. (Don’t worry about this too much -- good speaker engineers are well aware of these variations and take them into consideration when designing products.)​

In general, you’ll find that Denon products are designed to function with a wide variety of loudspeakers and have power supplies and output circuitry more than able to meet the current demands of low impedance loads.​

In the rare event that very low impedances tax the amplifier, quick acting circuitry will protect it from damage. If unusual operating conditions trigger this circuitry, the word "PROTECTION" will appear on the unit’s front panel. If this happens, simply turn the unit off, wait a moment or two, and turn the unit back on again. The protection circuitry will automatically reset. If it re-engages, check your system for possible malfunctions.​

In addition, I believe the AVR-3808 allows bi-amping with the main L/R channel amps and the second zone amps.

Give your wife a hug.

Buying that for your raised her cool factor.She is definitely a keeper and a saint.:bowdown:

Agreed but think of the flip side, next year for Mothers day Im going to have to step up with something of similar value or I will never hear the end of it :banghead:

Back