Commercial Dust Covers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. Check with Martin Logan to see of they have something for use with the Odysseys. When I bought my ESL-X's three years ago, I was able to purchase a spare pair of the cloth covers the speakers where shipped in.

Are these covers sound-transparent or only used when the speakers are not in use?

We are generally talking when not in use. I put covers on mine when I know I am not using them for more than a few days. I don't bother if I know I'm going to be listening in the forthcoming days.

I would love to find a set for my Prodigy. The general rule is to take the plastic covers that were covering the speakers in the box to a seamstress and have a set made. The Prodigy came in two pieces so it’s more difficult to do.

I scored in a big way with my covers. I found a guy 5 mikes from home that custom makes boat and car covers. He had extra material he got from Chris Craft for making covers for their vintage wood boats. It was sample material to show perspective buyers for having covers made for their vintage boats. It’s a fairly heavy material with a soft felt like liner on the back side of material to protect the wood finish on the boats. I asked if he had enough of this material to make the covers to my measurements and he did. They fit like a damned glove and he charged me a whopping sum of $40 to make them. I have them on anytime the Classic 9s are not in use. One thing I did not have was choice of color but hey that’s a small price to pay for these covers. I believe a lot of people expose their electrostatics to far too many pollutants in a home, the amount of cooking alone done in an average home I believe justifies covering/protecting these excellent speakers.
3D53284D-8E18-40FF-BF76-6DD8516A149C.jpeg
B347F06B-AF7F-4221-861F-16818277017A.jpeg

Rubbish bags?
I contacted product support and was told It's ok to use polyethylene trash bags. Just make sure to unplug them first and let them discharge overnight. I was also told the most important thing is to vacuum the front of the stator several times per year. See vacuuming instructions from ML below...

"In order to clean the stator panels correctly, please unplug the speakers from the AC mains and let them sit for at least 4-6 hours to discharge completely. Once you have done this, you can use a good strong vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment to vacuum the front side of the stator panel. The back side does not hold a charge, so you do not need to concentrate on the back side of the stator panel. But you can do a quick clean on it if you wish. I don't necessarily recommend using the brush attachment since I feel that this just pushes the dust around or could possibly add more if the brush attachment has been previously used. Start at the top of the stator and work your way across and down until you have vacuumed the whole stator.

Be sure to concentrate on any spots that you hear popping or clicking noises. This will not harm the stator panel in any way and is actually what we recommend in order to clean your stator panels for longevity."

Digital deck covers makes great products, I have one to cover my Krell amp when not in use, and my wife uses them in her craft room to cover all of her printers when not in use. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_5566.jpeg
    IMG_5566.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I contacted product support and was told It's ok to use polyethylene trash bags. Just make sure to unplug them first and let them discharge overnight. I was also told the most important thing is to vacuum the front of the stator several times per year. See vacuuming instructions from ML below...

"In order to clean the stator panels correctly, please unplug the speakers from the AC mains and let them sit for at least 4-6 hours to discharge completely. Once you have done this, you can use a good strong vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment to vacuum the front side of the stator panel. The back side does not hold a charge, so you do not need to concentrate on the back side of the stator panel. But you can do a quick clean on it if you wish. I don't necessarily recommend using the brush attachment since I feel that this just pushes the dust around or could possibly add more if the brush attachment has been previously used. Start at the top of the stator and work your way across and down until you have vacuumed the whole stator.

Be sure to concentrate on any spots that you hear popping or clicking noises. This will not harm the stator panel in any way and is actually what we recommend in order to clean your stator panels for longevity."
Not sure I understand the bit about the rear stator not holding charge. Both stators are at DC ground potential with respect to the diaphragm, which is what you want to remove dust from. Dust on the outside of the stators does no real harm.

As an aside, some nice, quality king-size pillow cases have worked pretty well on my smaller panels. One can obviously get these in various materials and colors.

Digital deck covers makes great products, I have one to cover my Krell amp when not in use, and my wife uses them in her craft room to cover all of her printers when not in use. Highly recommended.
They never got back to me about CLSii covers.

They never got back to me about CLSii covers.
Sorry to hear that, we haven’t dealt with them in about 6 months now, but they were always good about communicating back and forth with us. I hate it when that happens with some of these companies.

Back