CLX Upgrade: Things To Be Aware Of

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have enjoyed great ESL sound for half-a-decade from them (assuming I'm still around 25 years from now ;) ). So not a bad deal.

I think you meant half a Century!.....
I too have showered my SL3 panels (with good improvement) but still contemplating new panels.
You said your refurb cost $1800... was that just the price of new panels from ML, or are you including the cost of other parts too?
About 3 years ago, I was told new panels were $1400.

I think you meant half a Century!.....
Heh, good catch, thanks, I was slightly off on time-scale ;) Edited.

About 3 years ago, I was told new panels were $1400.
I rounded up to indeed cover some other items, like trim isolation components, possible wiring harness work, fresh woofers, and capacitor refresh on the step-up board.

I registered so that I could add to this thread...

My original panels dated back to 1992 and they sounded fine. I changed them recently out of good measure hoping that the new panels would be significantly better. I did not hear any audible improvement with the replacement panels.

Problems I had was with panels was due to the VHB tape separating. Also, the powder coat on the stators were showing their age and the panels would arc on very humid days. If you would touch the panels with clammy hands you would get a light shock. Sound-wise, they sounded just as good as the new panels.

I've been trying to get in touch with ML for warranty service but due to COVID19 the have ZERO phone support and multiple emails have gone for weeks with no response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I registered so that I could add to this thread...
Welcome aboard, and thanks for adding your input about panel longevity.

One request: Please edit your post immediately to remove off-topic content, or the entire post will be deleted. We try and keep this site focused on helping each other with getting the most out of our ML products. There are plenty of other places to share views on other topics.

I've been trying to get in touch with ML for warranty service but due to COVID19 the have ZERO phone support and multiple emails have gone for weeks with no response.
That certainly seems to be the case, no phone support at all. Hopefully that changes soon. Has anyone talked with them about this? Wondering if they have an idea when they might increase their staffing. They are having a big sale on speakers now and ive never seen prices marked down that much. Im thinking sales must be down substantially now with the pandemic. Wouldnt be a bad time to buy new ML speakers if you can afford it now.

Back