CLX system

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a scientist and jazz fanatic. I play the alto sax and host a local NPR show in Knoxville.

This is the system I built last year when I acquired CLX speakers and REL Carbon Limited subs.

Other details:

ARC Reference 150 SE amp, ARC Reference 5 SE preamp, ARC Reference 2 SE phono preamp, Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player, VPI TNT turntable, Graham Phantom Supreme tonearm, Bluesound Node 2i, Stanford Research Clock, Balanced Power Technologies BPT3.5 power conditioner, Purist audio interconnects, and
IMG_0103.jpg
IMG_0103.jpgIMG_0104.jpgIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0111.jpgShunyata power cords.

Nice looking system. It’s hard to beat a CLX system with subs. I listen to a lot of Jazz and agree it sounds great

Very nice! I love my CLX’s with my 2 JL Audio F113’s! Sound is beyond anything I’ve ever had in my system. Looking to add a CR1 crossover to bring up another Level!

Very nice! I love my CLX’s with my 2 JL Audio F113’s! Sound is beyond anything I’ve ever had in my system. Looking to add a CR1 crossover to bring up another Level!
Those subs are praised by many, but I have never heard them. Did you compare them to Martin Logan subs? Wondering how the JL Audio compares to the balanced force. Im consider it for my next sub and could use feedback.

I love my my Martin Logan speakers and have tremendous respect for the brand. I have not tried or heard the balance force subs but I’m sure they are very good. After doing some research I went with JL Audio because that’s all they make and they make superb subwoofers. The CLX is the best speaker Martin Logan makes (sorry Neolith) and deserve the best subwoofer system. Set up properly what the JL system adds to the CLX system is jaw dropping! In my opinion they are the perfect compliment to the CLX, they are not cheap but when you hear them you will know why. I know that the balance force has a built in crossover specifically for the CLX which gives it an advantage but I think the addition of the JL Audio CR1 crossover is superior to any integrated subwoofer crossover. Good luck in your search! It’s an important decision so do your homework!

Thanks everyone. I purchased the CLX speakers used from Albert Porter in Chicago. He advised me to rank the REL subs above the ML subs because REL specializes in subs. I also had previous experience with mating the old REL Stadium sub with my CLS. So when the pair of Carbon limited REL subs became available, I got them. I have been very happy with the RELs. The bass is very powerful yet seems like it comes from the speakers. I also find the RELs to be very beautiful.

Nevertheless, I sometimes wonder how the Perfect Bass kit from ML would work with a pair of ML subs.

I am a scientist and jazz fanatic. I play the alto sax and host a local NPR show in Knoxville.

This is the system I built last year when I acquired CLX speakers and REL Carbon Limited subs.

Other details:

ARC Reference 150 SE amp, ARC Reference 5 SE preamp, ARC Reference 2 SE phono preamp, Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player, VPI TNT turntable, Graham Phantom Supreme tonearm, Bluesound Node 2i, Stanford Research Clock, Balanced Power Technologies BPT3.5 power conditioner, Purist audio interconnects, and View attachment 20882View attachment 20882View attachment 20883View attachment 20884View attachment 20886Shunyata power cords.

Other details:

ARC Reference 150 SE amp, ARC Reference 5 SE preamp, ARC Reference 2 SE phono preamp, Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player, VPI TNT turntable, Graham Phantom Supreme tonearm, Bluesound Node 2i, Stanford Research Clock, Balanced Power Technologies BPT3.5 power conditioner, Purist audio interconnects, and View attachment 20882View attachment 20882View attachment 20883View attachment 20884View attachment 20886Shunyata power cords.
Beautiful system. I have Esoteric sacd/cd and it is a pleasure and delight. I have heard earlier audio research products long term and they make great equipment. That should be one kick ass system to hear Bird through. Just wonderful, Enjoy.

Thanks everyone. I purchased the CLX speakers used from Albert Porter in Chicago. He advised me to rank the REL subs above the ML subs because REL specializes in subs. I also had previous experience with mating the old REL Stadium sub with my CLS. So when the pair of Carbon limited REL subs became available, I got them. I have been very happy with the RELs. The bass is very powerful yet seems like it comes from the speakers. I also find the RELs to be very beautiful.

Nevertheless, I sometimes wonder how the Perfect Bass kit from ML would work with a pair of ML subs.
I don't have experience with REL but have a ton with the 212. I had the Descent i with the Summit X but never felt the bass was right. Got the newer at the time 212 and then did the ARC and it was like magic. The ARC program I just can't say enough about it. As we all know bass is very room dependent and even with many adjustments on the sub it just was not right. To make matters worse for me I had very little leeway to place them in alternate places in my room. The ARC just fixes all that and more. There is also a custom crossover for the CLX for the 212 which also makes the process easier

jazzfish - what are those towers next to your CLX? Your system looks fantastic - how long have you had the CLX? I'm new to these speakers as well, and loving them. What are your room dimensions, and how far from speakers' inner corners is your listening position? Have you experimented at all with tilt angle?

I seriously considered the Esoteric for SACD playback, but in the end went with the Marantz SA-10 which sounds great too. I also went with JL Audio subs (e110s).

For those using subs with their CLX, are you running full range, and if so what are you using for low pass crossover? Right now I'm going full range with crossover at 55hz. If I wanted to high pass the mains, my only option via my integrated amp is 80hz. I have not tried that yet.

I don't have experience with REL but have a ton with the 212. I had the Descent i with the Summit X but never felt the bass was right. Got the newer at the time 212 and then did the ARC and it was like magic. The ARC program I just can't say enough about it. As we all know bass is very room dependent and even with many adjustments on the sub it just was not right. To make matters worse for me I had very little leeway to place them in alternate places in my room. The ARC just fixes all that and more. There is also a custom crossover for the CLX for the 212 which also makes the process easier
I see that the balanced force subs have ARC. If you use Audyssey on your receiver/pre amp, do you then run ARC on the sub after the Audyssey is set up? Wondering if its a good thing to use both ARC and Audyssey together. Doesn't Audyssey adjust the sub too? I'm thinking Audyssey simply sets the level and crossover point on the sub.

What does ARC do?

Just looked around on the web and it looks like ARC is a system like Audyssey, does a similar thing and comes with a preamp?

Last edited:
Those poles are Argent room lenses (long discontinued). They break up reflections/standing waves and focus the soundstage.
I used to have three but a child (not mine) busted one.

My room is 14 x 20 x 8 feet. Got the speakers out about 6 feet from rear wall and 2.5 feet from the side wall to their edges.
Toe in very slightly, about 1.5 inches from straight ahead. No tilt. I found toe-in to be necessary to further focus soundstage (at the expense of
width).

I've had the CLXs about 15 months and love them! I have gone through 6 sets of speakers over the past 30 years as an audiophile (4 planar and 2 dynamic).
My favorite so far have been the Alon (now Nola) Circes and the CLXs.

Interesting on the Argents. I'm using GIK 242 absorption panels behind the CLX on the front wall. My room is similar size 16x23x8.75; I'm toed in about 5" currently, but still experimenting as I've only had them a few weeks. My first real speakers were Thiel 3.6, followed by Genesis V, then Paradigm S2 v.2 (stand mount for a study-based system); now that I have room the CLX are perfect (I have them 5' from front wall and just under 3' from side walls - so pretty similar placement.

Are you running full range with your REL subs? And what crossover setting?

Interesting on the Argents. I'm using GIK 242 absorption panels behind the CLX on the front wall. My room is similar size 16x23x8.75; I'm toed in about 5" currently, but still experimenting as I've only had them a few weeks. My first real speakers were Thiel 3.6, followed by Genesis V, then Paradigm S2 v.2 (stand mount for a study-based system); now that I have room the CLX are perfect (I have them 5' from front wall and just under 3' from side walls - so pretty similar placement.

Hi Dan,

I’m using the GIK Alpha 6a behind my CLX. It works like the 242 absorbing harsh frequencies but also as a diffuser for creating a huge soundstage!

REL REL "REL S SERIES". Run your Martin Logans Full Range. Connect RELs to amplifier speaker outputs (aquires the cadence of the amplifier). There is not another subwoofer system that will "add" to the main speaker in a way that it doesn't disturb what the main speaker is pushing out. You must buy 2 RELs, that's just how it is to get the "Golden Key".

This system you own with the REL Carbon subs are perfect, and you will get "perfect integration" with the main speaker. It's like finding the perfect woman, the both of you just "blend" together. I say this as an owner of both REL and Martin Logan subs (Montis Speakers). I have yet to hear their new REL S Series models. But they say they have improved them. I think I believe them. I own 4 REL S3's. Only running 2 in stereo presently. I have the others for another sound room. Cheers.

Thanks Mr. Big. I do love this system and the bass seems perfectly integrated with the mains. I also purchased a special set of connectors from amp to the Rels ( I think Analysis Plus).

Back