CLX: power cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Romex is romex. Not great copper, not shielded and most likely side by side wires. Going to 10 ga. Is better then nothing. When I get home I will send info on Oyaide wire.
Nonsense! 'Romex' is Southwire brand Romex® everything else is generic NM-B (Non Metallic-B). NEC/UL have very tight specs for conductors. Does Oyaide wire even have a 'UL' listing? Does Oyaide wire even make an in-wall AC cable? I only see flexible cords.

That UL info:

UL reference number (E108998-BN):
This is the reference number for the UL filing number. This number is unique to each manufacturer and may vary for different designs. When combined with other information on the print string, it will lead to the UL Listings of the cable.

UL marking (C[UL]US):
“UL” is formerly known as “Underwriters Laboratories”—the global safety certification company. When those two letters appear on a cable, this indicates UL’s mark of approval for that product.

The “UL” mark applies to products designed and sold within the United States that are suitable for electrical environments.

The “cUL” mark applies to products designed and sold within Canada that are suitable for electrical environments. Cable printed only with “UL” isn’t appropriate for use in the Canadian market.

UL reference numbers should always be followed by the word “verified” to indicate that the standards body listed before it did, in fact, verify the cable.

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "Paul172, příspěvek: 192703, člen: 49305"]
Používá někdo napájecí kabely pro vaše reproduktory CLX? Mám na sobě sadu Pangea AC14. Dejte mi vědět, pokud jste a slyšíte rozdíl.
[/CITÁT]
Ahoj, nevěřit vlivu kabelů v hifi sestavě je jako nevěřit v nic. Jakákoli změna v audio řetězci vyvolá změnu poslechu, kdokoli to popře, nechce nebo nemůže investovat peníze do nákupu kvalitních kabelů a svými gesty jen manipulovat a bránit své rozhodnutí

Try pulling the plugs and listening on residual charge for as long as it lasts, and see if you hear a difference. That should give you a baseline.

[QUOTE = "Paul172, příspěvek: 192703, člen: 49305"]
Používá někdo napájecí kabely pro vaše reproduktory CLX? Mám na sobě sadu Pangea AC14. Dejte mi vědět, pokud jste a slyšíte rozdíl.
[/CITÁT]
Ahoj, nevěřit vlivu kabelů v hifi sestavě je jako nevěřit v nic. Jakákoli změna v audio řetězci vyvolá změnu poslechu, kdokoli to popře, nechce nebo nemůže investovat peníze do nákupu kvalitních kabelů a svými gesty jen manipulovat a bránit své rozhodnutí
Čau, Môžem povedať o pravdu že keď som vymenil káble som počul rozdiel. Bolo to lepšie a neľutujem tú investíciu do tých kábloch. Mam ESL 13 rebraky

Non habla Espanol!
Good morning, not sure if you want me to reply in spanish, which was your choice, or english, which i see from your other posts , you’re reletively proficient in. I meant no distespect to you or any other members, but the author of the post that i responded to doesn’t seem to be fluent in english, so i answered in his language, as sometimes the on-line translating leave much to be desired. Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and i wish all much health and prosperity in the new year.

Sorry for the cuteness, Oleg, but google is your friend..., <https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=czech+to+english>

"Čau, Môžem povedať o pravdu že keď som vymenil káble som počul rozdiel. Bolo to lepšie a neľutujem tú investíciu do tých kábloch. Mam ESL 13 rebraky"

translates to

"Hi, I can tell you the truth that when I changed the cables I heard the difference. It was better and I don't regret the investment in those cables. I have ESL 13 ladders"

Sorry for the cuteness, Oleg, but google is your friend..., <https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=czech+to+english>

"Čau, Môžem povedať o pravdu že keď som vymenil káble som počul rozdiel. Bolo to lepšie a neľutujem tú investíciu do tých kábloch. Mam ESL 13 rebraky"

translates to

"Hi, I can tell you the truth that when I changed the cables I heard the difference. It was better and I don't regret the investment in those cables. I have ESL 13 ladders"
It’s all good. That translation isn’t too far off, except for the “ladder “ thing, but many times one mistranslated word could grossly change the intended meaning. Also, trying to nake our overseas ML fans feeel more at home😉. Take care and be well!

Hi, let me shared my limited 1 time experienced. I have a pair of CLX Art that comes with a pair of ML power cables, the cable with silver jacket, looks good quality to me. After some times, want to change of speakers power cable to see any improvement? I removed my CD & pre-amp power cables (2 x Siltech SPX-800; silver-gold alloy cable, I liked the Siltech sound comes out of CD player with crystal clean sound) to replace the ML power cable connected to CLX. The sound cames out with less clean, thicker, more dull, immediately, I changed back to use ML cables. My conclusion is : Siltech SPX-800 is kind of silver sound (towards to clean, leaner, upper frequency, I still keep it in my CD), but compared with ML power cables, sounded dull; less clean; thick. I think the ML power cables that comes with CLX Art is a good match (tuned) by manufacturer.

All I can say is I use Nordost Odin 1, and it lowers the noise floor, clearer and more defined dynamics.
Very big Nordost fan here too!
All power cords, interconnects and speaker cables are a full Nordost loom. Superb stuff indeed! Except power cords going into the CLX's. I was about to settle for the same grade of power cords on the CLX's, being Nordost Tyr2 but then at the time I had the Ethos hybrids, I got a local Aussie chap (famous chap & expert in cables) to specially make some custom made power cords for the CLX's with specified lengths.

I used these on the Ethos speakers first and it made a very positive difference. Such that, clarity and definition were improved, along with a much improved definition in bass. So it seems with powered speakers, such as ML's hybrids, better power cords would make a difference since it's powering LF's... makes sense. Whereas with CLX's, nothing's really being power driven, rather the stators require a small constant charge, hence any power cord will work.

Although the CLX's have two trannys, one toroidal tranny that's used on the mids & highs panel and a heavy guage EI-Core tranny on the bass panel. What I noticed is that a good quality power cord on the CLX's will improve that bass stat section, at least for me it certainly did, compared to standard ones.

However, it's definitely not necessary to pay for very costly power cords for CLX's, as the improvements are very marginal if at all, probably non-existent. It would be very hard to justify the spend unless it was for other gear or stat- hybrids. Hence, the reason why I didn't go for the Tyr2 power cords, just kept the custom made ones. They're mighty fine and good enough for me, been using these since 2018.

Cheers mate, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Back