CLX: power cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did not run $40/ft wire but did wire 2 dedicated duplexes with 10ga Romex home runs to 2 dedicated breakers in the master panel with attention paid to their being wired in-phase. I too noticed a significant improvement in system sound quality doing this.
I'm feeling really lame as I had never even heard of Oyaide cable before this thread, and while I did run two dedicated circuits off the same phase, I only used 12 ga Romex...

Romex is romex. Not great copper, not shielded and most likely side by side wires. Going to 10 ga. Is better then nothing. When I get home I will send info on Oyaide wire.

Here is some info on this wire. It comes in 10 or 12 ga. metric versions. Also there is version 2 out now but the web site does not mention it. Not sure what has improved but some tweaking must of happened to call it V2.

https://www.lotusgroupusa.com/uploads/2/6/4/9/26498389/102ssc_press_release_information_eng.pdf
EE / F-S 2.6 |電線・ケーブル・オーディオ・専門店 小柳出電気商会(オヤイデ、oyaide)

Thanks for the links. Searched on EE/F-S2.6 but only vendor I found was on Ebay in Japan selling 1 meter for $101.00.
Is there a source in the United States?

Use this address to contact Ed. He has a supply of this cable in the US. Note the hyphen (-) between audio and ultra: [email protected]

again I highly recommend this cable but don’t forget proper grounding, upgraded duplex and good power panel practices.

Good Luck you will wonder why you either never thought of this or did it before!!

Any serious interest in installing the Oyaide wire? Just curious

Any serious interest in installing the Oyaide wire? Just curious

May consider as part of electrical work needed on master panel to accommodate a whole house generator but would have to convince my SIL electrician not to be me to death with it! 😨

May consider as part of electrical work needed on master panel to accommodate a whole house generator but would have to convince my SIL electrician not to be me to death with it! 😨
More and more folks now putting in whole home generators. I know if I lived in Texas or California I would be. Is your's going to run off of natural gas (methane)? I wonder too if the flow of methane can be interrupted like that of electricity, as in cases like what happened in Texas recently? I dont think Texas had problems with natural gas, just electricity. Maybe a buried propane tank would be more reliable? Ive never had natural gas flow interrupted before though.

WTF??? It's 2021!! What's happening in Texas and California?
The isolated Texas grid got hit with a super-cold weather blast for multiple days, and a cascade of issues due to non-weatherized infrastructure nearly took down the whole grid. Even though Texas has tons of natural gas, the gas pipes and pumps froze, so NG-fired generators stalled and went offline.
Homes are not built for continual sub-zero C weather, so without (and some with) power, pipes froze and burst.

I have a propane-fueled 10Kwh whole home generator (21 years old) that I'm going to replace with a Tesla power-wall system + rooftop solar. Cross connected to a Tesla charger and vehicle (with a 90Kw battery) in the garage, I figure I can probably run the household for a week or more. Just use gas or hybrid car for errands.

From an audio perspective, I'll be able to now power the B panel so I can run the home theater rig while on backup power. The current generator only powers the A panel, which has all the critical loads attached to it. Each panel is fed 200A from the street. Since the B panel has no fridges or other 'noisy' loads, the HT rig gets cleaner power, which then gets converted to technical / balanced power for the A/V components via a 5KVA toroidal transformer.

More and more folks now putting in whole home generators. I know if I lived in Texas or California I would be. Is your's going to run off of natural gas (methane)? I wonder too if the flow of methane can be interrupted like that of electricity, as in cases like what happened in Texas recently? I dont think Texas had problems with natural gas, just electricity. Maybe a buried propane tank would be more reliable? Ive never had natural gas flow interrupted before though.

We have Natural Gas in the 'hood but I do not want to destroy 40 years of landscaping to connect the house. Excavation in yard near impossible due to stone ledge so going with 2 x 125gal above ground LP tanks.

FWIW, I was number 1400+/- in line for a 20kW whole house generator... :( but will be here in March?!

The board that controls most of the power grid in Texas made a calculated decision to not winterize the Turbines, and Gas power generation. Everything froze.
Parts of eastern Texas that are not part of it were winterized and were fine.

Many of the burst pipes as I understand were required fire suppression systems in homes that were in the attic and not insulated.

Excavation in yard near impossible due to stone ledge so going with 2 x 125gal above ground LP tanks.
Two word: Line Bore.
Just dig a hole at each end. It's a lot more expensive than trenching if it's a short distance, but it's minimal impact otherwise.

If I want to get my free upgrade from 100A to 200A electric service for overhead wire replacement, all I need to do is replace the riser at my expense. But if I want it buried they want $3,000 to trench, which is the same cost for me to line bore about 130 feet.

Two word: Line Bore.
Just dig a hole at each end. It's a lot more expensive than trenching if it's a short distance, but it's minimal impact otherwise.

If I want to get my free upgrade from 100A to 200A electric service for overhead wire replacement, all I need to do is replace the riser at my expense. But if I want it buried they want $3,000 to trench, which is the same cost for me to line bore about 130 feet.

We had them bore a new waterline for our home. The original had a leak. It worked very well. We have a sprinkler system and I didn't want to tear that up and ruin the yard.

March 1: This storm has been incredible -- an understatement! There are folks that STILL don't have running water. I was lucky and didn't loose one water pipe. 5 above zero is damn cold for South central Texas --- Austin. Of course I can't seem to get the City to pick up all the broken tree limbs I put at the curb.
Thankfully my CLSIIZ are still singing !!!

March 1: This storm has been incredible -- an understatement! There are folks that STILL don't have running water. I was lucky and didn't loose one water pipe. 5 above zero is damn cold for South central Texas --- Austin. Of course I can't seem to get the City to pick up all the broken tree limbs I put at the curb.
Thankfully my CLSIIZ are still singing !!!
Wow, that has got to be a record. I'm in Ohio and with that storm we only got down to about 12 degrees. It's been around 20 below zero here before.

With all the talk of generators storms and power outages I have been thinking about a regenerator for my system. Not that listening to our stereo systems is a priority in times of inclement weather but you never know. I saw Micheal Fremer from Stereophile commenting that he went to emergency power off his generator and the sound of his review system took a bad turn for the worse! He received two PS Audio regenerators and said his system was restored to its prime performance!

he went to emergency power off his generator and the sound of his review system took a bad turn for the worse!
Not surprising at all, most home generators have nasty-looking outputs when viewed on an oscilloscope, check this 2 minute video comparing 5 different sources of AC:

The regenerators are just super-high quality inverters, but one can get generators or battery systems with excellent quality inverters, such as that Honda in the video.

Back