CLX: power cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cables bring out the worst in us is what I have found which is unfortunate. But the thing that I find most troubling is many times the loudest voices against what a cable can do have never really tried something that is above a few hundred dollars at best if any at all. They make their comments solely because they can't wrap their head around how it is possible for a short cable to make any difference sonically. In that I'm in complete agreement as I don't understand it either but do test then comment not comment without testing or worse yet test cheap cables only. My experience has been they do even on the lower end of a cable product line and just get better as you move up as long as your system can keep up.

Cables bring out the worst in us is what I have found which is unfortunate. But the thing that I find most troubling is many times the loudest voices against what a cable can do have never really tried something that is above a few hundred dollars at best if any at all. They make their comments solely because they can't wrap their head around how it is possible for a short cable to make any difference sonically......
Agreed. In another group, when discussing speaker cables, an arrogant, uncivilized know-it-all (this group has at least one too) told me that if I think I have to listen to cables, then I know nothing about cables.

Agreed. In another group, when discussing speaker cables, an arrogant, uncivilized know-it-all (this group has at least one too) told me that if I think I have to listen to cables, then I know nothing about cables.
I posted the thread because I saw in the ML CLX manual it looks like the CLX ships with upgraded cables unfortunately mine came with the ones that ship with desktop computers. All cables make a difference some more than others. Speaker cables in my opinion are the most vital of all especially when your speakers moves up the performance ladder!

Hola Chicos,
Mines came with standard cables, like a computer cable. Not a fancy ones. And this cable or $100 power cable for the CLXs will make NO difference in the sound quality. There is not energy consumption like it does a power amp or a preamp.
Happy listening!

My cables were less than $100 and if the performance is the same as the cheap cables then they definitely look much cooler! 👍🏻

I think with the ART version they included better power cables. The ones I got with my speakers were definitely not generic. They were 3M maybe 2.5M and special. You got to wonder why they did that if not necessary. My dealer estimated that they were $500 power cables.

I have the Art so that’s why I thought I’d ask about upgrade cables because the stock cables looked more substantial than a standard cord. I contacted ML service and they confirmed what Roberto already stated that with the low power demand Upgraded power cables on the CLX will not make a significant difference.

I have the Art so that’s why I thought I’d ask about upgrade cables because the stock cables looked more substantial than a standard cord. I contacted ML service and they confirmed what Roberto already stated that with the low power demand Upgraded power cables on the CLX will not make a significant difference.
I like Roberto but power is king so better is better. IMO.

Hola Chicos,

If you want to buy the CLXs AC cables, the price is $ 150.00 for the pair, direct price from ML. Find out at the service department. Again, my point is: you do not need better cables to power any electrostatic speaker. It's a capacitor. You need only .5 seconds to charge the stators. There is no current drain from the Mains AC line. The name is that also: electrostatic!!!. I have been telling this, but it looks that you don't get it. The other electronic components, like the power amp and the preamplifier, will benefit with better power cables...but not the CLXs. The consumption of each CLX is less than 5 watts only, so this allows you to use any power cable. If you like the look of the good cables, that's OK, but there isn't any audio-sound benefit.

Happy listening!

Ok I get it but not really as I put better power to it it was better. Just my opinion but I stand by it

Hola Chicos,

If you want to buy the CLXs AC cables, the price is $ 150.00 for the pair, direct price from ML. Find out at the service department. Again, my point is: you do not need better cables to power any electrostatic speaker. It's a capacitor. You need only .5 seconds to charge the stators. There is no current drain from the Mains AC line. The name is that also: electrostatic!!!. I have been telling this, but it looks that you don't get it. The other electronic components, like the power amp and the preamplifier, will benefit with better power cables...but not the CLXs. The consumption of each CLX is less than 5 watts only, so this allows you to use any power cable. If you like the look of the good cables, that's OK, but there isn't any audio-sound benefit.

Happy listening!

I think Roberto is right on this. It makes sense logically. You can also test this by unplugging the power going to your speakers and they will sound exactly the same when they are not even plugged in. The panels are already charged, so keep making their sound. It doesnt take heavy duty plugs to charge those panels, and they hold a charge for awhile.

Thanks my namesake Robert D,
I have a question for the ones that believe that a better power cable might benefit the sound quality of the CLXs or CLSs model: Which component of your system drains from the Mains AC wall or Power AC Conditioner, less than 5 watts and for only less than a second? 5 watts is
The charge of the panels is static. The panel behaviour is like a big capacitor. Once it is charged, less than a second for this, remains charged. If this charge is used, to have a constant charge, the current drain from the power supply is almost nothing. To do this constant charged, it requires very a low current. So, if a thick heavy gauge wire is not required for this job.

Hola Chicos,
To have a constant charged will need only 0,041mA. This is nothing! The electrostatic speaker is a big capacitor. The entire diaphragm is bias with +-2000VDC. The stators, are modulated with the audio signal, which it is AC.

This is how ML explain the electrostatic speaker:
Although stators are the elements of an electrostatic driver that are supposed to stand still, they carry the audio signals that do the work of propelling the diaphragm back and forth to move air and produce sound. Because the stators sandwich the diaphragm between them, they must be perforated to allow sound to pass through. Yet they must also be rigid enough to remain absolutely stationary despite the strong electrostatic forces pushing and pulling at them during operation.

Happy listening!

I wonder how long you could listen to the panels when unplugged and have no impact on the sound? I listened to an entire song and heard no effect. Im thinking it might be hours?

I wonder how long you could listen to the panels when unplugged and have no impact on the sound? I listened to an entire song and heard no effect. Im thinking it might be hours?
I did try once. From memory it was about 30 minutes. It is less when music is playing.

Also, the charged stats are volume (level) dependant. If you play the music at the half of your normal listening level, they will last much more unplugged.

Remember that to charged them back requires less than one second!! Do you still believe that a cable will do a difference when it uses only less than a second for fully charge?

Happy listening!

Last edited:
I understand your point, Roberto. But 1 second is many lifetimes for an electron, which undergoes collisions on much smaller timescale. Your argument about the (lack of) importance of power cords on the panels may be correct due to the absence of current (voltage only) but the time to charge the panel is not a convincing argument.

Hola jazzfish,
I don't want to convince you, this is an electrical fact!
A good power cord (I have Transparent and custom made heavy gauge power cables) must handle easy at least 15A. This cable has enough current capability for most all power amplifiers on the marketplace. The panel drains only 0.041mA for less than a second for a full charge. There is no consumption at all!

With much respect, do you understand this? The stat panels are static. They need only the voltage for its operation. Your ML have this PSU (power supply unit). Is like the water in a pond. Just quantity, there is no force at all. Now, you can have a water hose with very a strong stream! This is the current, the Amperes. Here is where we need a good heavy gauge cable.

Happy listening!

Latest posts

Back