CLX owners and CLX lovers I need your help deciding what to do with a pair I jreceived.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Leporello, I have dedicated 20+ years of my adult life to working in the audio video industry, and I have invested every cent I have in my audio video business. I'm in my mid 50s and I have forgone things such as pensions and retirement accounts. Instead I have invested in audio video products so that I can share my passion with others, allowing them to be able to listen to and share in the remarkable experience that listening to great audio is. I have been a dealer for Martin Logan for almost 20 years and this is truly is a question I am wrestling with . So if you would like to comment something constructive that would be great. With this speaker being discontinued me continuing to keep it really is not a very wise decision as a business owner. Especially in the current environment where I wrestle with the thought of closing down my business in something I love and have great passion for in favor of looking for a more profitable way of making a living. You saying its a Champaign problem really shows that you haven't taken the time or effort to examine the question. Its truly a dilemma. If I decide to keep these for myself it really is me choosing myself instead of investing in some current product that customers can demo and experience. It actually is me just that much closer to deciding on staying in business or doing something else. So while trivial to you it actually is a really big question to myself, and whether anyone else realizes it or not its important to a lot of members of this forum who have been my customers over the years. And actually its important to audio video customers such as yourself. It really is a question that is a microcosm of this in industry in general. If there is no way to listen to and demo products can this industry really continue? What does this industry really look like when there is really no profitable way for most mom and pop dealers to stay in business. With supply chain and shipping cost issues getting worst and worst how realistic is it that high end audio can exist in any way similar to how it has been existing. Everything has to evolve, how does this industry evolve (or go extinct)?
Shawn,
I understand the issues small businesses encounter and the A/V business might have even more as the business model seems to be shifting at a quicker pace. I’ve had the pleasure to do business with you and I hope that you find a way to stay the course since you add so much value to the industry. You’ve worked for Fortune 100 corporations and been in business for yourself. Your decision may not come down to preference, but compensation, benefits and other tangible factors.
We could sure use a DaVinci satellite business in the Tampa Bay area. And one that offers installation expertise. Good luck with your decision. I’m actually surprised you still have those speakers!

Dear Shawn,

your problem is not only true for the US - I live in Germany and I wonder since begin of last year how the smaller dealers will survive ...

The next generation customers seem to be different - the number of people with time for intensive listening is not growing; their individual earnings with just a healthy bit above average is decreasing; their focus is different; their consumption of music is different (more like Apple, Spotify or Deezer - purchase of just single outtakes but fewer whole albums - leading the musicians to shorter music pieces).

Instead of spending for good equipment the number of Wlan speakers increases a lot - and even a Devialet Phantom could not convince me - but is a dream of 20-something listeners.

Then there is a steady growing market for second hand items.

So I see the future for hifi dealers a bit endangered

May be the way is going into different directions - because specialization in high end is possibly not enough, like e.g. to build partnerships - or say shop in shop solutions to reduce costs

In any case there is a change

I too fear for the industry. What is happening to different markets now would have been unimaginable just 10 years ago. For example, people buying cars on the internet, not even seeing them in person or driving them before buying. Maybe folks will be ok with buying a set of $25,000 speakers without hearing them? I have bought my last 2 Martin Logan speakers that way, a Focus center channel and a balanced force 210. So maybe there is some hope.

It does seem though that young people arent as interested in high fi audio. Both of teenage girls could care less about any of it. They just listen to everything on blue tooth headphones on their Apple phones. I hope that it doesnt die off.

Hola Chicos,

Keep the Arts for yourself!

Believe me when I say, as Bernard supports this assessment, my room is not big, and the quality sound is stunning. I visited friends who have different speakers and electronics, others about the same as what I have, and really I don't have any issue with the obtained quality.

Recently I bought the Holo May KTE version DAC, and the sound quality now belongs to a totally different level. I have a huge stage with outstanding musician(s) performance here. There are no speakers in my room. They totally have disappear. You can't tell that they are producing sound, but they are.

The CLXs are what ML have learned making electrostatic speakers in 25 years. There so many taking care parameters into their design and results. The integration of a double stat panels for the bass, is a wonder to have. To my ears, the most near to the real live sound.

Happy listening!

Hey Folks, I love reading this thread. I had CLX Art and Depth I in small room, as much as I loved the detail I could never find the perfect sound for me. Don't get me wrong, it sounded awesome but not enough to keep them. I have found true love with the Summit X and now I have 15A. My room is bigger now and I can play around with changes easier. I personally would not go back to CLX even in this bigger room, I have heard them in huge rooms and they just never hit my ear the way I like it. This is what's beautiful about this hobby, ear of the beholder. I am happy to be back into the hobby and reading these threads. No matter what we all have killer speakers. :)

No matter what we all have killer speakers. :)
I agree. When I went home after listening to Roberto’s mighty CLX system, I was not at all dissatisfied with my long-in-the-tooth SL3s.

I almost feel sorry for people like Dave who have turned their backs on Martin Logan! 😛

I agree. When I went home after listening to Roberto’s mighty CLX system, I was not at all dissatisfied with my long-in-the-tooth SL3s.

I almost feel sorry for people like Dave who have turned their backs on Martin Logan! 😛
The only speakers that tempt me now are Magnepan, but the dealer I buy from in town no longer carries them. They do still have Martin Logan though. Maybe that should tell me something?

Has anyone here switched over to Magnepan?

Hi Shawn,
Tough decision. Having been in business for myself my whole life, making a living comes first.

If you sell them, you will probably be able to find a used pair in the future. Being a dealer new panels, if needed, will be much less expensive.

$20,000 + - is a lot of funding to just sit on.

Just my $00.02. Good luck with your decision.

The only speakers that tempt me now are Magnepan, but the dealer I buy from in town no longer carries them. They do still have Martin Logan though. Maybe that should tell me something?

I'm new to Martin Logans, and it's been years since I've heard Magnepans, but I'd still recommend Martin Logan speakers. I've heard the 3 Series ribbon tweeter Magnepans, in very good rooms, using top tubed Audio Research gear, and the Magnepans didn't do it for me. While the speakers threw a holographic image, they were basically too polite, and missing dynamics. Easy to listen to, for hours at a time. Though, truth be told, I found them so relaxing (boring), I fell asleep! Maybe not a good thing, if you want to enjoy your music. IMO.

Good luck.

I had Aeon i . I sold them and bought Maggie 20.1s. I actively bi-amped the Maggies and they were awesome. My woofer amp died. And ARC said it was unrepairable. I didn't want to spend another 10K on an amp. So I went to a single amp setup. The magic was gone. So I sold the Maggies and bought ESL-11a s. It was a step up from single amping the Maggies. I need big diffusers behind the Maggies for best sound and I had to remove the diffusers for the 11a to sound their best.

My conclusion is that Maggies bi-amped with an active crossover and 20K worth of amps sound better than ESL-11a. But with a single amp ML is a better speaker for the $ to my ears.

I had Aeon i . I sold them and bought Maggie 20.1s. I actively bi-amped the Maggies and they were awesome. My woofer amp died. And ARC said it was unrepairable. I didn't want to spend another 10K on an amp. So I went to a single amp setup. The magic was gone. So I sold the Maggies and bought ESL-11a s. It was a step up from single amping the Maggies. I need big diffusers behind the Maggies for best sound and I had to remove the diffusers for the 11a to sound their best.

My conclusion is that Maggies bi-amped with an active crossover and 20K worth of amps sound better than ESL-11a. But with a single amp ML is a better speaker for the $ to my ears.
Thanks. That's some great real world feedback.

Here is some more real world feedback that will only confuse you. :). I bought 20.7s several years back that replaced my odysseys + descent combo. I absolutely love my 20.7. The soundstage is stunning and if I had to point out one thing that I like better - would be the mids / mid bass. It just sounds more natural / organic to my ears. They are more difficult to place in the room for sure.

Well, you certainly didn't frame it as a choice between selling them and losing your livelihood, retirement and the future of the audio industry. I have a pair of CLS II's they'll be prizing from my cold dead hands. Having heard the CLX's at a show, my impression was they are fantastic, but only a marginal upgrade from what I have, for which I paid something like $2400 a few years ago. So I guess that's my advice. I hope it's constructive enough.

Apologies, the way I read your post was these speakers somehow fell into your lap and you were thinking about keeping them, something I would deliberate over for maybe half a second (only because I would have to find a buyer for the CLS's *and* a pair of Ascents I have taking up space in a spare room I still haven't gotten around to selling). You didn't mention having had to shell out money for them.

Here is some more real world feedback that will only confuse you. :). I bought 20.7s several years back that replaced my odysseys + descent combo. I absolutely love my 20.7. The soundstage is stunning and if I had to point out one thing that I like better - would be the mids / mid bass. It just sounds more natural / organic to my ears. They are more difficult to place in the room for sure.
What amp do you use with the 20.7s? When I single-amped the 20.1s, I had a Pass X-600, not .1, .5 or .8 but the original. I know it wasn't a shortage of power, maybe it was having had the crossovers in storage for 8 years.

What amp do you use with the 20.7s? When I single-amped the 20.1s, I had a Pass X-600, not .1, .5 or .8 but the original. I know it wasn't a shortage of power, maybe it was having had the crossovers in storage for 8 years.
I have a sunfire signature grand. Also lot of power. However the 20.7 uses a different internal crossover than the 20.1. I’ve heard both versions -and liked them both. If I do recall the .1 - I think the.7 gets the image size better and seems to integrate the ribbon with the mids/bass better. The .7 does have better bass in my opinion than a single amped 20.1- but I have never heard the 20.1 bi-amped. Room is very important for these - even more so than the Logan’s I think.
One more thing - I also think the Maggie likes a more diffuse room. The Logan seems to like absorption me thinks. So it makes sense about your diffuser situation

Back