CLX owners and CLX lovers I need your help deciding what to do with a pair I jreceived.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaVinci Media

MLO Vendor
Reaction score
OK I have in my possession a pair of CLX from Martin Logan. They are factory refurbished and I’m really torn. Part of me wants to take these as my own and set them up and keep them forever. However as a dealer that’s really just not very practical. I know I’m lucky lucky lucky to have this problem but that doesn’t make it any less difficult to decide. All you CLX owners out there I guess I’m just calling for you to tell me once again how amazing the speakers are LOL I’ve sold and set up a lot of CLX and one thing that I can tell you almost across-the-board the people that have gotten them and set up the clx with properly matching equipment and a capable room, usually at that point they stop looking to upgrade or change their speakers! If you have seal exes or you had them and sold them please tell me your thoughts. I know what my heart is telling me to do 😊

Well Shawn you know where I stand. I expect to not look any more to update. I’ve made a lot of changes as you are very well aware and the speakers just keep giving. I’m especially looking forward to my next upgrade. Keep them!

Well Shawn you know where I stand. I expect to not look any more to update. I’ve made a lot of changes as you are very well aware and the speakers just keep giving. I’m especially looking forward to my next upgrade. Keep them!
Thanks Mike! I know that you love yours and wouldnt trade them for anything. I know what my heart and ears want. Being a dealer just makes it difficult. Especially since they are discontinued. I wish there was a way to keep producing them. Maybe I with a few CLX lovers could start a company just to produce and sell them! Im going to fly that up the flag pole at ML. I'm guessing you would be interested in being one of those investors? Anyone else out here interested? LONG LIVE THE CLX!!!! Shawn

Obsolete or not it’s their best and most electrostatic speaker

I wish there was a way to keep producing them. Maybe I with a few CLX lovers could start a company just to produce and sell them! Im going to fly that up the flag pole at ML. I'm guessing you would be interested in being one of those investors? Anyone else out here interested? LONG LIVE THE CLX!!!! Shawn

Now here is an interesting semi retirement project

Maybe if a bunch of customers contact them directly, wanting to order the CLX,they might consider producing them on a custom basis. They certainly have the capability to do so I bet. After all, they still produce panels for speakers that are more than 20 years old.

OK I have in my possession a pair of CLX from Martin Logan. They are factory refurbished and I’m really torn. Part of me wants to take these as my own and set them up and keep them forever. However as a dealer that’s really just not very practical. I know I’m lucky lucky lucky to have this problem but that doesn’t make it any less difficult to decide. All you CLX owners out there I guess I’m just calling for you to tell me once again how amazing the speakers are LOL I’ve sold and set up a lot of CLX and one thing that I can tell you almost across-the-board the people that have gotten them and set up the clx with properly matching equipment and a capable room, usually at that point they stop looking to upgrade or change their speakers! If you have seal exes or you had them and sold them please tell me your thoughts. I know what my heart is telling me to do 😊
Shawn,
Are the refurbished CLX's for sale?

Thanks

Shawn, to date the most enjoyable demo I have ever enjoyed was years back with my friend Terry Menasker (owner, Overture Audio, Wilmington, De) , we listened for several hours afrter he closed his store. If I had the proper sized room they probably would occupy it and I would not have ventured from ML .........

CLX Overture.JPG

Dave- you were royalty. What a treat. Terry was the best-such a gentleman.
I had the privilege of having a surprise BD party there years ago. Somehow my friends cajoled Terry into having an after hours party there. It was like being 16 and set free in the best toy store on earth and able to share it with good friends.

Shawn,
Are the refurbished CLX's for sale?

Thanks
Possibly I guess that's what this thread is somewhat about. They did come directly from Martin Logan in they do have the full five year warranty. So my guess is it's the closest to a new pair available on the planet. You can pm or text or call me to discuss.

Last edited:
Possibly I guess that's what this thread is someone about. They did come directly from Martin Logan in they do have the full five year warranty. So my guess is it's the closest to a new pair available on the planet that. You can pm or text or call me to discuss.
Thanks Shawn. I just saw the pair on Audiogon-assume that's them. I think they are still in dream territory for me.

WOW, I have a CLX Art walnut pair with stereo BF212 subs and won't ever sell them. I use these and a set of T+A CWT 1000-40 carbons (also hybrid electrostatic). The more expensive T+A speaker shows how good the CLX are for the money. With the subs they are really, really good for the price. Obsolete? No so sure about that. The CLX have a sound stage that is intoxicating and enjoyable. The CLX are far and away from being obsolete. The clarity and proper imaging size are rare even today. Few speakers manage a more life like soundstage presentation. I've had zero issues with the speakers so far. We have all that to think about.

Shawn, to date the most enjoyable demo I have ever enjoyed was years back with my friend Terry Menasker (owner, Overture Audio, Wilmington, De) , we listened for several hours afrter he closed his store. If I had the proper sized room they probably would occupy it and I would not have ventured from ML .........

View attachment 21829
Dave, I’ve heard them twice, for several hours each time, in Roberto’s relatively small room, and each time they sounded wonderful. Go for it!

Hola Roberto!

Dave, I’ve heard them twice, for several hours each time, in Roberto’s relatively small room, and each time they sounded wonderful. Go for it!

Hola Roberto!

Hi Bernard, I have no doubt that Roberto's kit sounded superb but one thing I learned long ago when it comes to di-poles, no matter how much you treat an 'undersized' room to compensate, a proper size room will always sound better. Besides , after 4 years I must admit, I still very much enjoy my Revel's !

Last edited:
This is what's known as a "Champaign problem".

Well Leporello, I have dedicated 20+ years of my adult life to working in the audio video industry, and I have invested every cent I have in my audio video business. I'm in my mid 50s and I have forgone things such as pensions and retirement accounts. Instead I have invested in audio video products so that I can share my passion with others, allowing them to be able to listen to and share in the remarkable experience that listening to great audio is. I have been a dealer for Martin Logan for almost 20 years and this is truly is a question I am wrestling with . So if you would like to comment something constructive that would be great. With this speaker being discontinued me continuing to keep it really is not a very wise decision as a business owner. Especially in the current environment where I wrestle with the thought of closing down my business in something I love and have great passion for in favor of looking for a more profitable way of making a living. You saying its a Champaign problem really shows that you haven't taken the time or effort to examine the question. Its truly a dilemma. If I decide to keep these for myself it really is me choosing myself instead of investing in some current product that customers can demo and experience. It actually is me just that much closer to deciding on staying in business or doing something else. So while trivial to you it actually is a really big question to myself, and whether anyone else realizes it or not its important to a lot of members of this forum who have been my customers over the years. And actually its important to audio video customers such as yourself. It really is a question that is a microcosm of this in industry in general. If there is no way to listen to and demo products can this industry really continue? What does this industry really look like when there is really no profitable way for most mom and pop dealers to stay in business. With supply chain and shipping cost issues getting worst and worst how realistic is it that high end audio can exist in any way similar to how it has been existing. Everything has to evolve, how does this industry evolve (or go extinct)?

Last edited:
Back