CLX Art To The Wall

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think the 13A would be better for HT with its dynamic woofer and bass management software. Pure ESLs aren't known for that kind of dynamics with modern movie soundtracks.

That's good to know. HT was my original audio passion - I do enjoy it a lot. When I heard how stereo can sound with good equipment it became my new audio focus. I now have a long wish list centered around stereo!

i get reflections on my summits when using my projector i put a piece grill cloth over each one to cover up reflections i bought it from parts express then take it off when listening to music. works great!
Good recommendation. So sadly it sounds like a real problem. Funny how nobody ever mentioned it on here since I joined. Guess I will have to worry about that if I ever get a projector. Probably no way around it.

Good recommendation. So sadly it sounds like a real problem. Funny how nobody ever mentioned it on here since I joined. Guess I will have to worry about that if I ever get a projector. Probably no way around it.
In the three years I ran projectors I never had reflections of the PJ lens in the panels. The lenses were about 9-1/2 feet above the floor, and directly above the main seating. I could see how lower mounting could be an issue however.

FWIW When I had my current speakers (13A) positioned with a "normal" amount of toe-in, 5-1/2 feet was the distance that ended up working great. But improvement was possible as I later discovered.

Now, it's been over a year since I moved the speakers around and ended up with them positioned with
an extreme amount of toe-in. They haven't moved since. The stage is wonderful, very realistic, and the wall behind doesn't exist.

The flashlight reflection is 3/10 from the OUTSIDE edge. The right speaker is in a corner with full absorption. The left speaker doesn't have any absorption, and the closest side wall from it is 11 feet away. The speakers were moved closer to the wall and ended up just over 2 feet from it. This meant that the seating could also move forward which had more improvement associated with that, so much so that I moved the seating closer still AND spread the speakers a little more apart, so it's just barely nearfield. Please understand that this "move" was done over a period of weeks. The seating moved fore and aft too many times to count, as it was moved multiple times each time the speakers were moved once.

Guests treated to demonstrations have remarked that they feel like they are AT the performance watching Frank Zappa playing Black Napkins. The comment that's been repeated: It sounds so real!

In the three years I ran projectors I never had reflections of the PJ lens in the panels. The lenses were about 9-1/2 feet above the floor, and directly above the main seating. I could see how lower mounting could be an issue however.
Thats what I was wondering, maybe it depends on ceiling height.

Im, curious what you no longer use a projector. Did you go to an LED tv?

Thats what I was wondering, maybe it depends on ceiling height.

Im, curious what you no longer use a projector. Did you go to an LED tv?
I have a great room so it's multi-purpose. The front wall of the house is the Right Wall of the viewing area, and it's almost all windows, over 200 square feet of windows. The plan I've posted showing my layout is the wishlist version showing two sets of French doors, a project for sometime in the future.

As such, the room is bright, so I had to darken the room during the day for very good, not great, viewing conditions. I got tired of that after three years. I LOVE a projected image!!! Can't state that enough. There's a limit, even for me. But, several things had to converge for me to change from projection.

I wanted a bright room again, even while watching tv. I wanted true 4K, not Faux-K. As good as HDR was for a projector, I wanted better HDR and while I was at it, Dolby Vision. Then, 85" panels dropped enough, and that's when I acted, one year ago. By measurement, 92" is the perfect size for my wall with enough space between the speakers to make it all look good and perform well. So 85" was the compromise for me. And while I despise reflections, I can live with those more than lack of contrast in a room that allows me to see outside.

I bought a Sony 950G 85" tv. It's not perfect, but if I went back in time I'd buy the same one again. I don't like it when good equipment sits around doing nothing, so I gave someone a REALLY good deal on the Epson 5040UB and he loves it like I did, so it lives on.

Yikes, I never thought of that. Id like to set up a home theater with a projector, but that worries me now. There seem to be a good number of guys here with projectors and ML electrostats and ive not heard anyone mention that yet.

Can some members share if they have had that light reflection problem? Wondering if there is something that makes it worse. It doesn't seem like a widespread problem, but I can see how it might happen. Maybe more common with high or low ceilings?

I would watch out for projectors with light bleeding or non-imagine light, some light up surfaces all over the room. I have yet to have issues with our optima projector and the panels, or at least small enough I haven’t noticed.

I would watch out for projectors with light bleeding or non-imagine light, some light up surfaces all over the room. I have yet to have issues with our optima projector and the panels, or at least small enough I haven’t noticed.
I've noticed that some projectors use laser ,are those better for not bleeding? The expense is very high though. Maybe a short throw projector down low would avoid reflection on the speaker?

I don't think any of the projectors have dolby vision do they?

Right now I just use a 55 inch in a cabinet. I do have dolby atmos with 4 channels in the wall and 4 martin logans in the ceiling. Sound is good. If this TV goes out I will probably get rid of the cabinet and hang a bigger screen on the wall. This is my family room so a projector wouldn't be good. In the future I think we will sell this place and build a ranch with a home theater in the basement. I figure a projector would be perfect down there.

Last edited:
I have a great room so it's multi-purpose. The front wall of the house is the Right Wall of the viewing area, and it's almost all windows, over 200 square feet of windows. The plan I've posted showing my layout is the wishlist version showing two sets of French doors, a project for sometime in the future.

As such, the room is bright, so I had to darken the room during the day for very good, not great, viewing conditions. I got tired of that after three years. I LOVE a projected image!!! Can't state that enough. There's a limit, even for me. But, several things had to converge for me to change from projection.

I wanted a bright room again, even while watching tv. I wanted true 4K, not Faux-K. As good as HDR was for a projector, I wanted better HDR and while I was at it, Dolby Vision. Then, 85" panels dropped enough, and that's when I acted, one year ago. By measurement, 92" is the perfect size for my wall with enough space between the speakers to make it all look good and perform well. So 85" was the compromise for me. And while I despise reflections, I can live with those more than lack of contrast in a room that allows me to see outside.

I bought a Sony 950G 85" tv. It's not perfect, but if I went back in time I'd buy the same one again. I don't like it when good equipment sits around doing nothing, so I gave someone a REALLY good deal on the Epson 5040UB and he loves it like I did, so it lives on.
Thanks for the story behind the decision. I can understand why you'd go to a direct view LED tv in a living space like that. The room my home theater is in now is our family room and gets a lot of light. Even just 12 years ago when we built it there weren't affordable 85 inch 4k dolby vision tvs. Thank goodness for high tech!

So I'm using a 55 inch LG OLED now and a set of Prodigies with a theater i as center channel. 4 speakers in the walls and 4 in the ceiling.

I have my CLX speakers in a 2 channel/HT set up. I had five theater seats in the front row. The size of the CLX made me go to a 3 seat configuration due to the panel blocking the view of the outside seats. Not a big loss for me. I went from 8 seats to 6. As far as glare off projector? There is a slight bit of light noticeable on the panels but it’s not distracting at all. Movie dynamics? If the CLXs are paired with a proper set of subs this is another non issue! If you are running just the speakers then 13a or 15a hybrids are a better option for you in my opinion.
AE5A96BF-29B8-4B51-8594-EEB2EF932B8A.jpeg

I have 133" screen with the speakers a foot from the edges of the screen. Never noticed any issue with reflections from the speakers - more an issue with the whitish ceiling. I also use the sitting room for home cinema so some ambient light still much better than my 65" oled given the big sound - too big for a small screen to appreciate the experience.

Also if you have a projector consider that the panels may catch a lamp reflection. Once you notice that you won't be able to unsee it.
Hmmm, I've never had that problem with my original Quests, my Summits, or my new ESL 15's, and all were placed fairly close to the screen edges. I'm thinking that this may be more of a projector issue, than a ML placement issue...

Hmmm, I've never had that problem with my original Quests, my Summits, or my new ESL 15's, and all were placed fairly close to the screen edges. I'm thinking that this may be more of a projector issue, than a ML placement issue...
I hope so. Some of us think it might be a product of having a ceiling that isn't high enough. I also wonder, would a projector that uses a laser avoid it?

I've noticed that some projectors use laser ,are those better for not bleeding? The expense is very high though. Maybe a short throw projector down low would avoid reflection on the speaker?

I don't think any of the projectors have dolby vision do they?
The Ultra Short Throw projectors I've seen are laser, and these are meant to be right against the wall and aim upward. I saw the Sony a couple years ago and was dumbfounded at how nice it was in bright room light! This one had a ambient light rejecting screen specifically made for Ultra Short Throw projectors. At that time the price was $25K, now it's about $15K. There's a lot more competition this year with prices as low as ~$4K. I don't see how these could cause a problem with reflections.

I think Samsung has one that supports Dolby Vision.

I am considering CLX Art speakers
I would just rather not have them so far out
My preference would have them pretty close

Sorry to be blunt, but it would be a total waste of great speakers to not have them properly placed. Don't bother getting the CLX Art's or any panel speakers for that matter and just get some normal box speakers to cram up against the wall if that's all you're willing to do.

My ceiling is low. Very low indeed. Like 230 cm.
Yeah, so thats about 7 1/2 feet. Standard ceiling is 8 foot. So only 6 inches lower than normal. Ive seen worse.

When i have a house built i have the basement ceiling extra high so that when it's finished it's at least 8 foot. Could probably go even higher.ours now I think is over 8 feet.

Sorry to be blunt, but it would be a total waste of great speakers to not have them properly placed. Don't bother getting the CLX Art's or any panel speakers for that matter and just get some normal box speakers to cram up against the wall if that's all you're willing to do.

That's not what I'm willing to do. I listened to the kind advice of the Martin Logan owners and remarked that I consent to optimal placement.

Kind of funny you word it like I'm not a Martin Logan owner, or that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I am, and I do.

BTW, I have my Martin Logan SL3's roughly 5 feet out into the room. Then pulled them out an additional 2" which made a huge improvement in depth and width. But hey, what do I know?... :rolleyes:

Back