CLX Art To The Wall

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaelmcse

Reaction score
Hello!

I am considering CLX Art speakers but I am hesitant, considering the placement requirements for optimal sound (4' min from the back wall).
I am in a big enough room - 18'x38' 10' ceilings - but I would just rather not have them so far out. I would be using them primarily for stereo, and also for HT speakers. I use this room for multiple purposes - and find that may be too imposing.

If I were to put heavy treatment on the back wall could I move them closer for optimal sound? My preference would have them pretty close, but would consider a compromise. I saw there was a posting about the McIntosh MEN 220 to help the acoustics as well - how much can it help?

Thank you!

Welcome Michael. My experience with a front wall with considerable absorption and diffusion is there is no substitute for distance from the front wall.
That is not to say the won't sound great but farther out is much better.

Hola,

Their distance should not be less than 3 feet! 4 or 5 is the best.

Happy listening!
Then if its too far from the wall the quality of the sound decreases, right? How far is too far?

When it said 4 or 5 feet is best, is that the distance from the panel to wall or from the cabinet base to the wall? On my Prodigy speakers the cabinet with the woofers stick out several feet behind the panel toward the wall.

Hola,

When the speakers are properly set, there is no bass boominess and the stage is like having the musician(s) playing there for you with a truly sense of 3D. Too close to the front wall, the stage is like a pancake thick!, and exhibit too much bass energy, like having the bass player on a certain musical notes, next to you. You are able to adjust from where would you like to sit in your virtual stage and theatre. Having the stat panels too toe-in you are sitting at the front rod, near the stage, and toe-out you are sitting at the last rod of the room.

Happy listening!

Not sure if this is your first ML electrostatic from your post. If so, there is a lot to learn about placement. If you look at members systems they usually end up at least 4-5' from the front wall but that is only the start. After that, small changes make big differences in soundstage, imaging, etc. These issues are described as the negatives with ESL's but oh the joy they bring!
Good luck.

Then if its too far from the wall the quality of the sound decreases, right? How far is too far?

When it said 4 or 5 feet is best, is that the distance from the panel to wall or from the cabinet base to the wall? On my Prodigy speakers the cabinet with the woofers stick out several feet behind the panel toward the wall.
From the panel. All also depends to the size of your room. If you have a big room, then you can use more distance. Keep in mind that the front wall is going to reject the signal. The front signal will get to your ears first than the rejected signal. This time delay makes the stage more properly.

Mine 6 1/2 feet from the front wall to the face of the panel. The farther out you can’t get them into the room the deeper your soundstage will be.

Bingo, Brad has hit the sweet spot !

spending the coin required to get a pair of these beauties should not go hand to hand with compromise IMO

I put a marker 4' from the wall and eyed it for a few days and thought about how it would look. I also thought about my priorities, and good sound is close to the top of the list! And I'm already divorced - so no worries there 😂

Thank you all for the feedback.

I am also interested in the 13A - they have a smaller footprint. When the time is right for a purchase, I hope to get the CLX or that one. I am favoring the CLX. Martin Logan told me they just sold their last CLX.

I do have a ML electrostatic - the EFX. They're often used for surrounds. I am using them for mains. They are my first electrostatic - and contributed to me going cuckoo over audio.

I was going to upgrade them before, but decided to upgrade the downstream equipment first. I was very blessed to get a McIntosh C2700 pre amp, and a McIntosh MC8207 SS amp.

The EFX never reached their full potential until the upgrades. The sound stage is several feet beyond the speaker with good recordings. With such a great experience with a smaller electrostatic, I am looking forward to something larger with great anticipation.

Last edited:
My last pair of Martin Logan Odyssey speakers were just under 4’ away from the wall. When I moved up to the CLX Art speakers I put them in the same location because I felt that they’d wouldn’t look right and would over power the room. So I moved them out about 5’ from the wall and the difference in sound was much better with improved soundstage. It didn’t take long to get used to the distance and after a short time you don’t even notice them being far off the wall.

You certainly don't want your speakers too far from the rear wall. I had my 13As mid-room with 12 ft behind one and 15 ft behind the other in my large semi-circular room. No good at all for ELS speakers! These project half their sound energy backwards and they need the rear wall to salvage much of this sound. Don't over-treat this wall as it really is needed to get MLs to sound their best. Sadly I had to sell my speakers as they just didn't sound good so far from the back wall.

I have a pair of Martin Logan original Summits, with the panels each about 67 inches from the front wall and 49 inches from the respective side walls, spaced about 116 inches apart (from center of panel to center of panel). That has proven to be, by far, the best location I've yet tried.

Funny thing, though: when I raised the rears of the woofer boxes so the panels were nearly vertical (approx. 87 degrees from level), they REALLY came alive.

I guess it just goes to show you need to keep tweaking until your ears tell you you've arrived at the sweet spot!

I am also interested in the 13A - they have a smaller footprint. When the time is right for a purchase, I hope to get the CLX or that one. I am favoring the CLX. Martin Logan told me they just sold their last CLX.
I would think the 13A would be better for HT with its dynamic woofer and bass management software. Pure ESLs aren't known for that kind of dynamics with modern movie soundtracks.

Also if you have a projector consider that the panels may catch a lamp reflection. Once you notice that you won't be able to unsee it.

Also if you have a projector consider that the panels may catch a lamp reflection. Once you notice that you won't be able to unsee it.
Yikes, I never thought of that. Id like to set up a home theater with a projector, but that worries me now. There seem to be a good number of guys here with projectors and ML electrostats and ive not heard anyone mention that yet.

Can some members share if they have had that light reflection problem? Wondering if there is something that makes it worse. It doesn't seem like a widespread problem, but I can see how it might happen. Maybe more common with high or low ceilings?

Yikes, I never thought of that. Id like to set up a home theater with a projector, but that worries me now. There seem to be a good number of guys here with projectors and ML electrostats and ive not heard anyone mention that yet.

Can some members share if they have had that light reflection problem? Wondering if there is something that makes it worse. It doesn't seem like a widespread problem, but I can see how it might happen. Maybe more common with high or low ceilings?
i get reflections on my summits when using my projector i put a piece grill cloth over each one to cover up reflections i bought it from parts express then take it off when listening to music. works great!

Back