CLX Art Crossover Mods, e.g., replacing capacitors

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigGuy

Reaction score
Given the considerable discussion of capacitor replacement on various M-L models, has anyone considered/read about/done cap replacement on the CLX?

Given that the CLX is a recent model and was the high-end of the line at one point, I'd guess not much benefit to re-capping this one. Eyeballing the XO in those, it seems they used very high-quality components in it already.

It is the older models, whose caps are old, that benefit the most.
The low-end of the line (e.g. ESL-X) might benefit to some degree with higher-quality passive parts.

Read through this thread for some ideas
Ah, I guess 11 years is long enough to have forgotten I even posted in that thread my usual XO feedback
My approach to crossovers is to just ditch the passive and use a top-of-the-line active solution.

Much simpler to implement, but it does lead to the question: How easy is it to bypass the CLX crossover elements?

Still, seems like a lot of effort for limited gains. I'd still like to see how a fully active CLX performs.

Appreciate the opinion on value added for cap replacement but also will check out the DIY thread.

Ah, I guess 11 years is long enough to have forgotten I even posted in that thread my usual XO feedback

Still, seems like a lot of effort for limited gains. I'd still like to see how a fully active CLX performs.
I think going active would be a major upgrade. The benefits derived from one amp channel driving one “driver” directly are not insignificant.

Back