CLSIIz + Depth

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 593

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a pair of CLSIIz.
They go with an amplifier Plinius SA-250 in stereophony.
I soon will change my subwoffer REL Storm III for a ML Depth.

I would like to have your councils on the level of the connection of the Depth with the CLS
It is more interesting to use:
mode 2 channels (preamplifier)
or
mode 2 channels High Pass Filter

thank you for your councils.

Last edited:
Noname,

Welcome!!! The, "Martin Logan Club", is a great place to come, for all thnig relating to ML speakers. IMHO, I would recommend a tubed Pre-Amp. Sunfire or Conrad-Johnson. One of our senoir members, Jeff, has a Conrad-Johnson Tubed pre-amp, with is CLSiiz's, and a ML Depth, subwoofer too... Jeff has expressed to us, the lovely, beautiful and quality sounds they all produce together, in his system. Check out these web sites:

http://www.sunfire.com/ClassicVacuumTubePreAmp.htm

http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/classic-products.html

One of the wonderful benefits / assets, about coming to this particular web site, is the fantastic, positive advise, and in-put you will continually receive.

It is great to know, you are considering a, ML Depth, subwoofer. I am a big fan of ML's subwoofer's. ML subwoofer's, are very high quality, extremely well built, but most importantly, they are very fast and capable, keep up with ML's quick, electrostatic pannels.

It's great to have you, as a positive, contributing member of the, ML Owners Club. :)

Enjoy

-Robin

noname said:
I would like to have your councils on the level of the connection of the Depth with the CLS
It is more interesting to use:
mode 2 channels (preamplifier) or mode 2 channels High Pass Filter

If I understand your question correctly: The way I like to run my CLSIIz's is having the Panels full range, and fill in the bottom with the Depth.

And like Robin stated, a Tube Pre with your Plinius will be a great combination for your CLS speakers. Like Jeff, I also run this type of setup - He uses a CJ and I use an ARC.

Dan

Well, now I guess I have to same somethig since my name has been mentioned twice. :)
Like Dan, I am running my CLSiiZ's full range. Yes, I still have my tube preamp and would not trade it because of the great sound. In my case, I have to "Y" off the preamp out. The Conrad Johnson preamp I have is very simple and maybe some day I will get a better Conrad Johnson preamp. It only has one set preamp out RCA connectors. The "Y" has one pair of cables going to my Depth and the other to my amp. In my case this does work well. The Depth really compliments the CLSiiZ's and fills in the very lowest frequencies without boominess. It is really hard to tell where it is in my room. If you look at my pictures, which has changed and I need to update them;), you will see the Depth along the side wall about half way down the wall.

I did look at the Rel and it is a good sub but I did not want another piece of furnture. IMHO, I think the Depth is a better match to the CLSiiZ.

Hope this helps a least a little bit.

Jeff :cool:

Thank you for your cordial reception. It is pleasant.
Afflicted for my bad English. The courses of the school are far.

Jeff, thank you for your informations.
It seems that couple CLS and Depth go very well. My purchase is thus for soon.
The connection on line on the preamp seems to be your choice but you used the High Pass Filter of Deph ?

Dear Noname,

Your English is quite a bit better than that of some native speakers who post on this forum. Keep up the good work!

noname,
I use the crossover in the Depth. I have the Low Pass Filter set at 55db. The phase is 180 degrees, the 25Hz level is at 1.3 and the volume is about 4.
My preamp has no tone controls. :)

I hope this helps

aliveatfive said:
Dear Noname,

Your English is quite a bit better than that of some native speakers who post on this forum. Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much ;)

Jeff Zaret said:
noname,
I use the crossover in the Depth. I have the Low Pass Filter set at 55db. The phase is 180 degrees, the 25Hz level is at 1.3 and the volume is about 4.
My preamp has no tone controls. :)

I hope this helps

Yes, thank you.
That will help me enormously.
On the other hand, I miss cables to make this connection. I know what it remains to me to do.

Cordially,

I put myself the following question:
a friend who has CLS says me that if I do not send low register on the Stator those will not have a correct electrostatic load
It is necessary to use Depht without the high-pass filter.

You think what of it?

I am not sure. There is no cossover setting for the CLS they are all panel. I have no problems at all with the integration of the CLS and my Depth.

Dan, care to comment??

Jeff

Jeff Zaret said:
I am not sure. There is no cossover setting for the CLS they are all panel. I have no problems at all with the integration of the CLS and my Depth.

Dan, care to comment??

Jeff

Thank you jeff. It is good to know that everything works well like that.

I requested from JP what thought Jpower (MartinLogan). Here the copy of its answer:

Actually you should try the CLS without any filtration. This will keep the cleanest audio path and least distortion. Then use the Depth to fill in the bass.

I think that it is necessary to make tests to find the best compromise.

noname,
Jim Power is very knowledable about these things and his advice is usually correct. I am doing exactly what he stated.

Good Luck,

Jeff

:cool:

I also have (one) Depth w/ my CLS IIZ's. I placed it right in the middle. I have one of the "rear" speakers facing forward. This keeps the three speakers pointed the way they're supposed to point, but brings the control panel to the left or right front (depending which "rear" speaker you point forward) and makes it MUCH easier to make adjustments.

With my CLS's, I am using the following settings:

PHASE: 90 degrees (recommended by ML) and it really does give most seamless bass.

CROSSOVER: 35 Hz (if you are running the panels full-range, which is also recommended by ML)

LEVEL: 12 o'clock +/_

25 Hz BOOST/CUT: 1 or 2 o'clock. Best way to adjust this is to start at 9 or 10 o'clock and then increase it until you hear a "thumpiness" in the bass and then back it off. Depends on your room.

As I mentioned, I do not use the high-pass filter. The CLS's have very articulate bass (as far as they go!) and do not suffer from doppler effect as with cone drivers. So no need to limit them. And at 35Hz, the Depth adds just the right amount of fill.

nsgarch, thank you very much for this information.
It is very interesting.

It goes this SubWoffer well :)

On the other hand, I have a light breath on the level of Depth.
Even when it is not connected on the pre one.

Does that you make similar?

Last edited:
noname said:

It goes this SubWoffer well :)

On the other hand, I have a light breath on the level of Depth.
Even when it is not connected on the pre one.

Does that you make similar?
Hola noname...your Depth should be totally quiet...you should not hear anything, even when it is plugged to the preamplifier. You have a signal to noise ratio problem...many noise at the subs power amps. is due to dirty A.C. line or ground loop problem. Try to connect it into another A.C. outlet wall, just to see if you might have a ground loop noise also. Your sub should not produce any noise or light breath...If you bring the volume complete down, do you still have the noise? This is to find out from where the noise or light breath is coming.
Cheers,
Roberto. :D

Thank you Roberto.
I have a noise. Light.
Depth not connected on the pre one.
Connected on the pre one, it is similar.

I tested without the ground on the electrical current. It is similar.

Another catch it is similar. I am lost.
A breakdown of Depth or problem with my electrical supply network?

noname said:
Thank you Roberto.
I have a noise. Light.
Depth not connected on the pre one.
Connected on the pre one, it is similar.

I tested without the ground on the electrical current. It is similar.

Another catch it is similar. I am lost.
A breakdown of Depth or problem with my electrical supply network?
Wehn you bring the volume control at the sub, still have the noise?...if you do, power amp. problem or power supply. If not, the subpreamp...need a service tech. to solve the problem...if the unit is still under warranty...just make it work! happy listening,
Roberto.

Roberto, thank you very much for your assistance.

roberto said:
Wehn you bring the volume control at the sub, still have the noise?...

Yes Always very slightly.
It is not proportionel on the level of volume.

roberto said:
if you do, power amp. problem or power supply.
yes :(

roberto said:
If not, the subpreamp...need a service tech. to solve the problem...if the unit is still under warranty...just make it work! happy listening,
Roberto.
Sorry. do not understand very well

According to the power cable used the noise is present strongly or almost not.

That confirms the problem sector !?
I go changed house :D

Last edited:
Back