CLSIIa bass buzz

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tentimestwenty

I just picked up a used pair of CLSIIa and there is a bad buzz in one spot near the edge of the panel. I can see what looks like a thick piece of plastic tape that has curled and is buzzing against the grill. What is this tape? Is it needed? Can it be shrunk with a hair dryer? How can I get it away from the grill?

Try vacuming and / or removing with tweezers

You might try vacuming the panel first to "pull" the lodged material away from the mylar and then, VERY CAREFULLY, try pulling out the material, through the stator holes, with tweezers or very small needle nose plyars.

Before you do anything, I'd call Jim Powers at ML to get his recommendations. He's a really good guy and knows a ton about ML speaker repair. He might provide some info as to how you can remove the wood side panels / front or back stator so you can access the mylar directly. Good luck!!

GG

The piece of tape is much too large to get out through the stators. I will have to take the back stator off at least. What is this tape there for? To heal rips? Is it usually attached to the diaphragm or the stator?

I have a pair of CLSiiZ's and I did use the below method with moderate success.

The piece of "tape" is called a stiffener. It was designed to help the excursion of the panel and also help with "flapping" of the panel. What it sounds like it the glue which holds the "stiffener" in place. I would first vacuum the panel real well on both sides. Then after that is done with a high power hair dryer, approx 1200 watts or more, slowly move down from top to bottom over the area where there is a buzz. Take about 30 seconds to go from top to bottom. Then you must to the other side, i.e right or left depending on where the buzz is. What you are trying to do is stretch the panel and see if the "stiffener" will re-adhere back to the panel.
The above is what I eseentiall got from Jim Power at ML but I would recommend touching base with him either by email or phone.

Yes I have heard of people removing the "stiffener" but it was long and tedious.

Good Luck
Jeff :cool:

tentimestwenty said:
The piece of tape is much too large to get out through the stators. I will have to take the back stator off at least. What is this tape there for? To heal rips? Is it usually attached to the diaphragm or the stator?

Hi,
The 'tape' will indeed fit through the stator hole. I washed my panels a couple years back, and all 6 of them came loose (big oops). I ended up using tweezers to pick a corner of the tape through a hole, then a larger pair of pliers to haul the rest of the peice through, once I got it started. It does take a while, but it can be done.

I used clear shippers tape on the outside of the rear stator to replace the missing peices of tape, so the diaphragms would retain the same damping effect from them.

Peter

Back