• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Martin Logan Owners and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale CLS1 parts or both speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino

Reaction score
I have a pair of 1st gen CLS with a bad panel. The transformer units have been opened and tested.Both will power the good panel-The 2nd panel is dead. ML Service gave me the news- new panels can be ordered , three month lead time-$2850 for a pair and only sold as pairs.

So I need to find 1 speaker complete or 1 panel-I am not ready to invest the $2850 into the speakers at this time-If someone has 1 panel to sell please let me know- Also, I
need to consider parting out what I have.
If you are in need of transformers(I mean the whole unit that attaches to the fram/panel) a panel or black oak frames or if you may be interested in both speakers in as is co dion let me know.
I am open to discussion on any of these senieos.

I can be reached at
[email protected]

thanks for looking!

Hey, were you able to find one? Just curious.

The good news is, contrary to rumors that had been circulating recently, you can still get the panels. If it were me I would bite the bullet, save up and order the pair. Chances are the other one is old. But that's my, perhaps irrational, love of all the ML full range ESL's.

A few years ago I was able to order just one panel for my CLS II. But that was to replace one I had destroyed through a stupid accident. The previous owner had sold me the frames and two new, still in their package, panels. I'm a little surprised they won't make a single panel for you, unless they're anticipating the other will need to be replaced soon anyway.

If I didn't have my II's, and you weren't so far away from NY, I would have been interested in your as-is offer.

p.s. Someone please answer if they know for sure: aren't the CLS, CLS II and CLS IIz panels the same, with only the interfaces different?

I have six clsII or clsIIz panels that I replaced for my clsIIz. That is 3 pair. I am not certain if they work on the cls. I replace my panels whenever they have an issue or price increase. The last order for new panels came as a result of error on diagnosing a problem with my panel this past summer. I am about to replace that panel pair with a new panel pair. The other two panel pairs each had an issue with one panel, so there are two more that work and two I found a problem with.
This is the sticker on the panel I am about to replace. It is old but my house is all HEPA with lots of portable HEPA and no pets or kids. I have been clearing out a bedrooms used for storage at my home and these panels are taking up space. I have sold tons of cable on US audtiomart and to a reseller in Toronto that I met there to make space.
$200 a pair plus shipping (at cost) in the Martin Logan panel box for this known working pair from Madison, Wisc. This pair was new from Martin Logan. The other four are $200 for two pair.

Attachments

• 2022-08-04-16.32.10-stator-ser-number.jpg
    2022-08-04-16.32.10-stator-ser-number.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 17315-Martin-Logan-Serial-Number-Decoder latest 08-2022.pdf
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have six clsII or clsIIz panels that I replaced for my clsIIz. That is 3 pair. I am not certain if they work on the cls. I replace my panels whenever they have an issue or price increase. The last order for new panels came as a result of error on diagnosing a problem with my panel this past summer. I am about to replace that panel pair with a new panel pair. The other two panel pairs each had an issue with one panel, so there are two more that work and two I found a problem with.
This is the sticker on the panel I am about to replace. It is old but my house is all HEPA with lots of portable HEPA and no pets or kids. I have been clearing out a bedrooms used for storage at my home and these panels are taking up space. I have sold tons of cable on US audtiomart and to a reseller in Toronto that I met there to make space.
$200 a pair plus shipping (at cost) in the Martin Logan panel box for this known working pair from Madison, Wisc. This pair was new from Martin Logan. The other four are $200 for two pair.
To clarify, are you offering used panels for sale?

Hi Duke

What were the issues with the 2 older pairs? I might be interested, possibly...

Hi Brandon,

I like the metalwork I see you do.
Martin Logan only sells panels by the pair. If I lose a panel for any reason, I need to buy a pair. I have two pair of clsiiz or four speakers. I had two pairs of panels that had one of the pair have a “snap” type of sound at high volume. So I have four panels that are older where two of the four were sound at the time of replacement. I have two shipping boxes which each hold one pair so I would like to sell the panels and get a third box returned to me.

Hi Brandon,

I like the metalwork I see you do.
Martin Logan only sells panels by the pair. If I lose a panel for any reason, I need to buy a pair. I have two pair of clsiiz or four speakers. I had two pairs of panels that had one of the pair have a “snap” type of sound at high volume. So I have four panels that are older where two of the four were sound at the time of replacement. I have two shipping boxes which each hold one pair so I would like to sell the panels and get a third box returned to me.
What's your zip code? I want to see what it would cost to ship them to Ontario Canada. I would like to try fixing them if shipping is reasonable.

Last edited:
Brandon,

I think you need way more than a zip code but I may be wrong. There are the 3 copies of the Canadian commercial invoice or whatever that is to get the accurate duty tax. I have been selling lots of cables to a reseller in Canada and he exclusively emails me UPS. There has been several big box shipments about this size (and a couple much smaller).
The box with new panels has a weight listing of 48 pounds. 29" by 12.5" by 50" dimensioning.
Zip code 53711
Which of the six did you want?

I'd be interested in one or both pairs of panels with issues as I want to learn to rebuild them. But I'm currently working on a jobsite so I won't be able to price anything out until next week when I'm back at the shop.

We use a freight broker at work so the duty and taxes are no issue for me. We just pay a flat rate of something like $50 for shipment clearance.

That would be great. Just buy a pair of the panel with issues and that would be $50 a panel plus shipping in the Martin Logan box. $100 plus shipping costs.

Lately, I have checked this site almost daily. I think if you message me, I will see your message right away. Please answer if you are able to replace the panels before I go to the UPS store early next week to determine shipping cost to you. You wrote me earlier that you have trouble boxing up speakers. I am giving you a realistic description below of changing the panels and let me know if you get cold feet about it.
I will take the unopened (new) box over to UPS Monday or Tuesday to get a quote to your zip 34238. ML used UPS ground. Brian at ML wrote that the winter ambient temps do not bother the panels, but you should definitely wait for the panels to get to room temperature before manipulating them. Brian sent the pdf to me which I enclose for your benefit. Amazing support.
The way they show the replacement in the pdf will probably work easily. I assume that can be done with one man and maybe someone to help put the wire in place mentioned in the well drafted pdf. (7. Remove the stat wires by feeding them though the wire channel one at a time. (see figure 6))
I would tape the floor before starting so that you can nest the speaker back into place and not have to dial it in again. If you have adjustable spikes, tape them in place and number them if you remove spikes from the speaker prior to the tip over. They can hurt. If you remove them, tape the height adjustments and indicate on the tape which spikes go where. Have a level available.
It is a bit tense to put the panel in the first time because of inexperience. The panel flexes a little bit and goes in reasonably easy. Many people have done this and it is not a big deal for those who tried or I would have read about complaints.

second replacement method:
I never had the benefit of the pdf when I replaced my first pair of panels but I did have a helper. We flexed the panel while in place upright. I am planning on replacing the panels Wednesday evening if my helper shows up as planned. I want you to know that I have twice done this with a helper because I don't like tipping over the speaker as described in the pdf because I do not want to dial them in again. I never did them the pdf way because I did not know about the pdf which is my fault. It does prove that the work is straightforward if you are handy that way. My speakers are spiked and leveled to the plywood. They also have the sound anchor struts on the sides and are elevated from the normal height off the floor. Do you have a helper? We wear nitrile gloves or similar and always unplug the network box power cord for a day prior.

I am sorry that I could not help you box up your speakers in Florida and because of my similar age, I understand what you may be dealing with. That is why I give you the long winded message today. Let me know right away if you are up to it and then I will go to UPS to get a price.

Attachments

• CLS_II_CLS_IIz_Transducer_Replacement_rev042707.pdf
    169.4 KB · Views: 0
As long as the pair of panels is good/ working well… I have a great friend that also had a pair of CLSZ2 like mine … he will help me with the install next time he’s in Florida. Please pursue the costs to ship. Thank you.

$328.08 for shipping UPS ground.

Attachments

• 2022-12-26_13-53-14 page 1.jpg
    2022-12-26_13-53-14 page 1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2022-12-26_13-54-09 page 2.jpg
    2022-12-26_13-54-09 page 2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
Back