CLS STANDS .........Prototype !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
Here are some sketches and wood mock ups of a few designs I have been playing around with. They will mount to the crossover holes with the crossover mounting right behind them. One has the crossover separate from the panel the other will lock it tight with neoprene washes. They are still rough designs that may change with improvements. These are in a ARCCI design type with a few twists of my own. They both will have rear brace to support the upper panel from swaying. They will be metal powder coated. I hope to have a set made this weekend. I HOPE ! Honey do list may interfere.

There is also a picture of a ARCCI stand on a members system here. Mine will mount similar depending on the design they may stick out a bit more for better support.

Attachments

• pin (Small).jpg
    pin (Small).jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 604
  • stand rough1 (Small).jpg
    stand rough1 (Small).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 621
  • DCP_1323 (Small).JPG
    DCP_1323 (Small).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 652
  • S6301933 (Small).JPG
    S6301933 (Small).JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 632
These are the wood mock ups ! I didn't design wood mock ups for all the sketches just the ones I liked the best !

Attachments

• S6302041 (Small).JPG
    S6302041 (Small).JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 587
  • S6302048 (Small).JPG
    S6302048 (Small).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 586
  • S6302043 (Small).JPG
    S6302043 (Small).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 596
  • S6302044 (Small).JPG
    S6302044 (Small).JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 629
Chris, if you have diagonal supports from the bottom of the electronics box up to the top of the panel, are you not in effect creating a "bow", where the centre of the panel is allowed to flex? Would you not also want to have supports to the middle of the frame? I admit that it might be over-engineering.

I don't know, Chris. The Arcici's look very well behaved, charming and non-threatening. Perhaps it's the gentle curves?

Right now, yours make me feel like I'd want to be properly introduced, before I could be comfortable alone in the room with them :stop:

Last edited:
Chris, if you have diagonal supports from the bottom of the electronics box up to the top of the panel, are you not in effect creating a "bow", where the centre of the panel is allowed to flex? Would you not also want to have supports to the middle of the frame? I admit that it might be over-engineering.

The idea is to stop the panel from rocking back and forth. The panel itself will be rigid as can be!

I don't know, Chris. The Arcici's look very well behaved, charming and non-threatening. Perhaps it's the gentle curves?

Right now, yours make me feel like I'd want to be properly introduced, before I could be comfortable alone in the room with them :stop:

The one design is almost identicle to the ARCCI. Its just that the edges and such with wood have to be sharper to make a model . With metal it will be smoothed out. Remember these are still Ideas and may change. I am working on that still !

Chris, seriously, I have a question about the Arcici, and that's are they a three-spike design or four? I've never seen a picture of one from the back.

Chris, seriously, I have a question about the Arcici, and that's are they a three-spike design or four? I've never seen a picture of one from the back.

Neither , They are a rail type stand like this one . My first design looks just like a ARCCI stand with the back having a bit more rake and thicker material. The ARCCI were 1/4 inch plate. I will use 3/8 for the feet and the inner truss supports will be 3/8 rod. I may play with some perforated metal too to get a cool look. Remember these were made with 1/2 inch plywood for mock up.

Here are some actual ARCCI stands on a members CLS . They have their faults in strength but they do look good ! Especially face on. That is why I have tweaked my first prototypes. I looked into a free float too like the one pictured. I am still up in the air . The main goal is to get them up off the ground and rock solid.

Attachments

• S6302046 (Small).JPG
    S6302046 (Small).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 585
  • Arcci 1 (Small).jpg
    Arcci 1 (Small).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 564
  • ARCCI2 (Small).jpg
    ARCCI2 (Small).jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 568
  • Img4 (Small).jpg
    Img4 (Small).jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 580
I never noticed that the Arcici Stand did not accomodate the power supply box..

Do they accomplish this with replacement of the wire braid from the panel to a more lengthy braid?

I always wondered if there would be any merit to removing the box entirely and isolating it from the panel and stand structure altogether.
is this what you intend on doing? I believe that George Cardas would probably be willing to whip up a set of CLS braids the way he used to in the old days for the aftermarket. they would just have to be longer.

Neither , They are a rail type stand like this one . My first design looks just like a ARCCI stand with the back having a bit more rake and thicker material. The ARCCI were 1/4 inch plate. I will use 3/8 for the feet and the inner truss supports will be 3/8 rod. I may play with some perforated metal too to get a cool look. Remember these were made with 1/2 inch plywood for mock up.

Here are some actual ARCCI stands on a members CLS . They have their faults in strength but they do look good ! Especially face on. That is why I have tweaked my first prototypes. I looked into a free float too like the one pictured. I am still up in the air . The main goal is to get them up off the ground and rock solid.

The crossover box is actually turned upside down and the top is now the bottom. The screws that hold the crossover box down are the ones that hold the top on. I will use isolation in the form of rubber grommets or washers whem mounting the box to the metal stands. I do feel the separation will benefit the sound of the panel.

I do not think there will be any needed wire lengthening needed . If so its easy to do . Martin Logan used Kimber 3 braid. or the older ones are Monster 10 gauge !

These are the final design I will build. They will be 1 3/4 wide x 3/8 thick plate steel. They are a combination of the two mock ups. The ARCCI stand is to,,,well,,, boxy and train looking. This design I have mocked it up on the panel and its smooth and 100% functional. I lowered them a tad to my original height too. The front has a slightly less slope as I don't like them to stick way out but enough for support and the rear will have the crossover box mounted upside down to the stands with the screws in the box top. I will use a full support back brace too.

Attachments

• S6302062 (Small).JPG
    S6302062 (Small).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 540
  • S6302060 (Small).JPG
    S6302060 (Small).JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back