CLS Panel version? upgrade on Quad ESL63!?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malcesine

Reaction score
looking for some expert views from the forum
I have always hankered after a full range CLS and now a CLS1 has come up.
Question I have is what panel is fitted? see pic) It doesn’t look the same as martin logan website - maybe panel has been replaced at some point?

My 2nd question is, will the CLS be a step up from a nice pair of Quad 63’s I now have?
I only recently moved from SL3’s to the Quad 63’s due to the full range panel ‘magic’ - im hoping the CLS is a step better again to come back into the ML family!
I use a sub for bass, so don’t worry about frequencies south of 80Hz in any reply.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 6A4FF3C7-BDBE-4659-99F5-B2B1A49962D7.png
    6A4FF3C7-BDBE-4659-99F5-B2B1A49962D7.png
    1 MB · Views: 56
The panels are CLS 1 version 2. Like the ones I have. The Martin Logan website show CLS 1 version 1 panels that were in production for short period.

The panels are not replacement panels because they are black in color. Replacement panels are dark grey in color.

Expect these panels to be nearly 30 years old. They look transparent for they probably been washed.

At some point a year or two later you will have to replace panels. New CLS 1 version 2 panels price $ 2905.

I never heard the ESL 63. But I know the CLS 1 will sound great with new panels.

Last edited:
I know both well. And more , had 2 pairs of 63's, had 988's , had 989's and various MLs. CLS is a definite step up. The quads have a lovely mid-range but the ML CLS/CLX give the full sound spectrum. I am a full panel sound guy aswell.

But I know CLS 1 will sound great with new panels. Sorry inaccurate statement.
But I guess CLS 1 may sound great with new panels. Accurate statement.

With anything this old best to listen before you buy.
Also check if the power modules match with the panels.

I bought my CLS used in 1994. The panels I washed to extend their life. Extended extra year and half of useful life. In the year 1994 my CLS sounded great or amazing. Odd sounding bass was their only flaw. But since you intend to use a subwoofer this flaw may not affect you. CLS 1 firing on all cylinders sound amazing. Of all the CLS models the CLS 1 are easiest to drive. At the hifi dealer in 1994 I heard CLS1 with audio research tube pre and power. The sound was out of this world.

Last edited:
Thanks Rah,
I wont have chance to demo (thanks COVID :-<) but seller is a reputable HIFI enthusiast and tells me that the only work done was 'some diodes were replaced' and everything else is original and well looked after.
How do I know power modules match?
Assuming panels are original do I really need to replace them soon if they sound and look in good condition?
I had really old and original SL3's and they showed zero signs of requiring a new panel.

Thanks Rah,
I wont have chance to demo (thanks COVID :-<) but seller is a reputable HIFI enthusiast and tells me that the only work done was 'some diodes were replaced' and everything else is original and well looked after.
How do I know power modules match?
Assuming panels are original do I really need to replace them soon if they sound and look in good condition?
I had really old and original SL3's and they showed zero signs of requiring a new panel.

CLS were launched in 86. CLS 2 were launched in 89.
CLS had two models. First model was made during year 86 and perhaps few months during year 87.
I do not know with certainty. Second model I know was definitely made during year 88.

One of my CLS 1 version 2 have serial number ce-8812014. Meaning year 88 month December.
Your panels are CLS 1 version 2. You can check both power module serial number to
Ensure if they begin with 88. Signifying yes they were made in 88 and yes they are CLS 1
version 2.

Second way you can ensure power module match with panels. The version 1 had if am not
mistaken 4 feet. Whereas version 2 has 3 feet.

On the issue of panel longevity. I feel and is only my subjective opinion based on my experience
with my CLS 1 version 2 that after 30 years have passed panels reach the end of their useful
life. If the panels have been recently washed for the first time they will sound good but good
sound will not last because of age related wear and tear. When you make payment do not pay
for the panels for they are fully depreciated. Only pay for the power modules and the wood
frame.

Please if you buy CLS and then later install replacement panels then please do let me know how
they sound with new panels. I may follow suit based on your experience and feedback.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back