CLS owner intro

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlsbad

Reaction score
My name is Jerry and I'm addicted to clean, electrostatic sound. I picked up a classic pair of CLSs from a friend. Driving them with Wyred4sound STI 1000 integrated amp. I'm mostly listening to streamed music from Qobuz. I've been trying various DACs and like an old W4S DAC 2 (not the newer DAC 2v2). I supplement the base with a very musical HSU MK3 subwoofer and can't really tell it is involved unless I go put my hand on it. Extremely happy with the setup. Only complaint is the very small sweet spot but since I listen mostly alone, this is generally not a problem. May do more experimentation with locations.

I also have a couple of ML Motion 15i's for surround speakers on my AV system (does not use the CLS mains but an old pair of Mirage M3Sis that are superb AV speakers). Love the 15i's sound and am watching for a 50xti to replace the Mirage center channel.

Welcome! CLS is an amazing speaker. Out of curiosity, do you know the age of the panels? This may be significant if they are original and quite worn out. I just re paneled a pair of CLS II and it was quite a difference.
Do spend time with placement as a few inches this way or that make a huge difference.
Enjoy!

Welcome to the group Carlsbad, from a former CLS owner.
What Lightloopy said is true. Small adjustments make for great rewards in the sound with CLS.

Welcome Carlsbad, I also have a pair of CLS's. They are actually CLSiiZ's. All the answers are correct and the panels have serial numbers on them so you should be able to track down their age. The way I set up my CLS's was first to get them about where I thought they should be and then small adjustments. I would suggest a tape measure to measure the distance from the back wall. I have mine toed in and with some good recordings they sound like big headphones. Enjoy the speakers. BTW, they can be run with a lot of different amps but it also depends on what you listen to and how loud they do love lots of current. :)

Serial numbers are sequential, CS 1EF702 and 3. I found a link to a serial number decoder but it is dead. I think these speakers are at least 15 years old if not older. I contacted the previous owner and he has never had them re-paneled. That said, I'm not hearing any deficiencies in them.

Been playing with the position but very slowly. Also thinking about some acoustic room treatments.

Lightloopy, who did the repaneling for you? Right now I'm very happy but you never know.

Also thinking about working on the transformers--I've heard there are some nice upgrades available but haven't found the details.

thanks for the warm welcome.

--Jerry

Sounds like you have the original panels. If one plays softer than the other one that could be a sign they are on their way out.
Martin Logan will make you a panel set (pricey about $3000) and will take 3-4 months.
If you love what the speaker does then it's worth it. Very unique.

Serial numbers are sequential, CS 1EF702 and 3. I found a link to a serial number decoder but it is dead. I think these speakers are at least 15 years old if not older. I contacted the previous owner and he has never had them re-paneled. That said, I'm not hearing any deficiencies in them.

Been playing with the position but very slowly. Also thinking about some acoustic room treatments.

Lightloopy, who did the repaneling for you? Right now I'm very happy but you never know.

Also thinking about working on the transformers--I've heard there are some nice upgrades available but haven't found the details.

--Jerry
I checked against the Serial Number sheet I have and they are the original panels. The CS refers to CLS. The "1" refers to probably the first version of the stat panel. "E" is the year 1993 and "F" is the month which June and they were the 702 & 3 made. I hope that helps.

--Jerry
Absolutely use a tape measure ! FROM both inside & outside of each panel to your seat. Need 2 people to hold the tape. Check out mine @ "dgeez".

My Prodigy panels still sounded good, but the gain on the preamp was turned up as high as it would go to get good volume. Mine were made in 2000. Finally got new panels, and wow is it better! Worth the cost. I've got better response now in high frequencies too.

Wow, so they are from 1993. They have been in storage for "many years" and looking at the box, that might be 20. They have equal sound (don't need to use balance to keep main sound in middle) and I run my amp low. they aren't very efficient but still I only run my W4S 1000 amp at 25 or so for normal listening.

--Jerry

OK after getting past the absolutely awesome midrange and listening to a bit more full spectrum, I realize these 28 year old speakers are lacking in some areas. I've moved them aside while I consider the options and I'm about to go start a thread about my options. In the mean time I'm listening to some very nice, very accurate traditional speakers--well, semi-traditional. For midrange they have an array of very low mass drivers (which might tell some people what they are). In the mean time, I'm looking at my options for my CLSs. Thanks.

OK after getting past the absolutely awesome midrange and listening to a bit more full spectrum, I realize these 28 year old speakers are lacking in some areas. I've moved them aside while I consider the options and I'm about to go start a thread about my options. In the mean time I'm listening to some very nice, very accurate traditional speakers--well, semi-traditional. For midrange they have an array of very low mass drivers (which might tell some people what they are). In the mean time, I'm looking at my options for my CLSs. Thanks.
I am very happy with the replacement panels I got earlier this year for my Prodigy speakers. They are about 21 years old and the panels made a dramatic difference. I havent replaced anything else.

Thanks Robert. I'm moving that way. Thinking about trying to find a pair of CLS IIz and buying a new panel for them.

Back