CLS IIZ vs Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IWalker

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to buy a house with a nice sized family room (next 6 to 8 months)...and I'm single, so don't care at all about the WAF. What I am looking for is advice on which way to go. I think my total budget is going to be around $6k. (for the speakers + amp...other pieces I either have or will build towards seperately)

I listen primarily to jazz/light rock...and really don't care for either high SPLs or rock music in my home system...I will however be using it for 2ch HT as well (I will be adding either a ML Depth or a Bag End Infrasub-18 at some point)

I know "to your own ears," but I have heard the Vistas, and like them a lot...but I hear so much praise about the CLS, and really like the way it looks as well (something about a giant see-through speaker that I like ;)

I think I can probably get a pair of IIZs for around $2000-2500, but recognize that they probably need some serious amplification (thinking maybe towards VTL MB-185 or one of the bigger Rogue audio pieces) which I could probably get used for the rest of the budget.

I could get the Vistas for probably around $3500, which would leave money for some Six Pacs or similar tube gear.

Advice given this particular situation? The room will be about 17' wide and deep, so should ahve plenty of width to accomodate the CLS.

Thanks,
Ian

I'm also very interested in the Plinius gear...would this make a good match for the CLS, as I like the tube sound, but don't want to sacrifice the necessary power to run these babies? Which model would I likely need to shoot for?

I'm really happy with Accuphase powering my Vantages. This is coming from a person who used to own a bunch of tube gears. You get the richness in the midrange plus you get the extended bass that only ss can deliver.

IWalker said:
I'm also very interested in the Plinius gear...would this make a good match for the CLS, as I like the tube sound, but don't want to sacrifice the necessary power to run these babies? Which model would I likely need to shoot for?
I run the Plinius SA-102 on my CLSIIz's and have all the power I need. But my normal listening levels are around 80dB's with high 80's for those louder sessions.

Dan

great...I think I'll probably try to start with the CLS IIZ and a Plinius P8/10 and work to upgrade from there!

Thanks for the input.

yogibear said:
I'm really happy with Accuphase powering my Vantages. This is coming from a person who used to own a bunch of tube gears. You get the richness in the midrange plus you get the extended bass that only ss can deliver.

I'm definitely going to take a look at accuphase too... looks like some nice gear.

I use a pair of AES Sixpacs for my CLS's and they have all the power I need either full range or with the bass rolled off to sub at 125 Hz.

IWalker said:
I'm definitely going to take a look at accuphase too... looks like some nice gear.
See if you can listen to both tube and solid state to see what you like better. Neither is better...it comes down to personal tastes.

As you see from our forum and some of the responses, there are many Tube Lovers and many Solid State lovers.

Dan

Back