CLS IIz 20th Anniversary better than my SL3 in small room?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malcesine

Reaction score
looking for your expert advice.
I have a pair of nice SL3 in my small, rectangular dedicated listening room (2.3m/9’ by 4.6m/18’)
The SL3 work really well back 1m from at narrow end of room, only 4” from sides with a sub taking care of <80hz duties. Listening positionis basically at apex of near field triangle.

Now, a pair of CLS IIz may be available that are located a very long drive from me, but I’ve always wanted to try a ML full range panel (with sub)

Question is, would my small room impact the CLS much more than the SL3??
(i was advised the SL3 wouldn’t work well, but they are brilliant)

If they could work in my room, would they be significantly better than my SL3’s?

Thanks

Last edited:
That is narrow but as someone that owned SL3's and went to CLS IIz's there is no comparison.
The CLS with good panels will blow them away assuming your have good equipment driving them. For me the SL3's are much more forgiving in that department.

The CLS's will show every weakness in the upstream electronics and cables.

Look through the member systems at the beginning. There was a member with the user name "Narsch" or something like that he had his in a narrow area and was very happy with it.
I know some others here have had them in smaller that idea rooms.

Good Luck

That is narrow but as someone that owned SL3's and went to CLS IIz's there is no comparison.
The CLS with good panels will blow them away assuming your have good equipment driving them. For me the SL3's are much more forgiving in that department.

The CLS's will show every weakness in the upstream electronics and cables.

Look through the member systems at the beginning. There was a member with the user name "Narsch" or something like that he had his in a narrow area and was very happy with it.
I know some others here have had them in smaller that idea rooms.

Good Luck

Thanks Brad, my upstream kit is of high quality so no worries that way.
I found a system post from ngarsch but contents had been deleted.

Last edited:
If it were me and knowing what I know about the two speakers this would be my approach.

If the panels are in good condition and your cost is not unreasonable I would make the change. I would try the system on both walls to see how it sounds. You were use to almost near field listening so, give it a go. If you can purchase the CLS's without first selling the SL3's you can sell one or the other after you try the CLS.

Absorption panels behind the speakers and your head will be necessary if you don't already have them.

Keep us posted on you progress.

Latest posts

Back