Quantcast

CLS III - why it does not exist ?

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

noname

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
France
I have of CLSIIz and I find these panels marvellous.
To date, no other Martin Logan can better do.

Why did Martin Logan stop the production of the CLS??
Soon of new CLS?
 

Jeff Zaret

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
1
Location
Lancaster,Ca
There has been some discussion here about it but the reason it was discontinued was price and poor sales. The last year of production they only sold two. To produce a "modern" version would be similar to the Summits and would be about the same price and for that reason it may be better to buy the Summits.

I agree there is nothing like the CLS's and I also own a pair of CLSiiZ's, :D and I would not trade them for Summits either!! :D

Jeff :cool:
 

noname

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
France
Jeff Zaret said:
There has been some discussion here about it but the reason it was discontinued was price and poor sales. The last year of production they only sold two.
two !
That they is unhappy
They must have stock

Jeff Zaret said:
To produce a "modern" version would be similar to the Summits and would be about the same price and for that reason it may be better to buy the Summits.

I agree there is nothing like the CLS's and I also own a pair of CLSiiZ's, :D and I would not trade them for Summits either!! :D

Jeff :cool:
A summit does not arrive has ankle of a CLS.
Even if they steps very well.
 

DTB300

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
0
Location
Fallout 3 Land
Jeff Zaret said:
I agree there is nothing like the CLS's and I also own a pair of CLSiiZ's, :D and I would not trade them for Summits either!!
I agree on the CLS comments and like Jeff, I also own a pair of CLSIIz's.

Now if someone was to give me the choice of keeping my CLS or giving me a pair of Summit's to replace.. hmmmm ......It might just be the Summit's as the Panel is the best sounding yet, and Bass integration and control is superb. While my CLS and Sub combination would take up more room than Summit's, I guess to finalize I would have to hear them side by side and then decide based on the sound on what to do.

Dan
 
Last edited:

noname

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
France
the summit have stators of small size compared to the CLS. The sound image is not the same one
 

raanan

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 22, 2005
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
noname said:
I have of CLSIIz and I find these panels marvellous.
To date, no other Martin Logan can better do.

Why did Martin Logan stop the production of the CLS??
Soon of new CLS?
Noname,Il y a plusieurs entre nous qui pense comme vous-les CLSs sont les meilleurs haut-parleurs fabrique par ML.
Difficile de diviner pourquois ils ne les font pas encore.Peut-etre que ce n'est pas facile de trouver an ampli qui possede assez de courant.Peut-etre que la philosophie de ML a gravitee vers les hybrides.En tout cas,essayez d'obtenir quelques panels "spares."Est ce que vous ajoutez un subwoofer?
Raanan
 

noname

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
France
raanan said:
Noname,Il y a plusieurs entre nous qui pense comme vous-les CLSs sont les meilleurs haut-parleurs fabrique par ML.
Difficile de diviner pourquois ils ne les font pas encore.Peut-etre que ce n'est pas facile de trouver an ampli qui possede assez de courant.Peut-etre que la philosophie de ML a gravitee vers les hybrides.En tout cas,essayez d'obtenir quelques panels "spares."Est ce que vous ajoutez un subwoofer?
Raanan
Very good French. Better than my English.
I have a subwoofer Martin Logan Depth.
Indeed, the big problem of the CLS: the amplifier.
One needs the powerful one and much of current. One of the reasons for which they stopped the production of the CLS.
 

Jeff Zaret

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
1
Location
Lancaster,Ca
It just will not happen. I have asked Jim Power many times and there are no plans at all!!! :(

Jeff :cool:
 

Jeff Zaret

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
1
Location
Lancaster,Ca
robertawillisjr,
Not only would the panel be different but all the electronics would also have to change so an upgrade is not feasable. :(:(

Jeff :cool:
 

Joey_V

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
4,379
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas, TX
I've always wondered what would happen if ML launched a CLS with the new XStat.... my guess is it would be pretty ridiculous.
 

noname

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
France
so that a new CLS goes commercially it is necessary that this one goes with small amplifiers.

This known as, a stator of CLS bought today should nothing any more see with those manufactured a few years ago?
 

Craig

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1
Location
U.S.
Wouldn't building a modern full range electrostat CLS be much simpler than designing and building a new hybrid? All it consist of is a larger XSTAT panel with the associated electronics and a frame to hold it all together. Obviously, it would have to be profitable to make it worthwhile and apparently the CLS is a niche market. It sure would be interesting to hear/see what ML could do with a new CLS using thier latest technologies? You know they could make an incredible CLSX!
 

noname

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
France
Craig---> To arrive there one needs significant competences and knowledge.



Which is the large difference between a stator of the generation of CLSIIz and Summit of today?
Except the aspect of course marketing??
 
T

tsd2005

Guest
I spoke with Gale about this at CEDIA 2004.

The response was:

He would love to, but first they have to replace the entire ML line with the new X-STAT.

First and foremost it is a business decision. They need to put their R&D in what sells.

However the CLS was before its time. In today's HT dominated market the CLS would sell. I'm sure of it.

So ML would be smart to think of that angle and get it back on the market.
 

Joey_V

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
4,379
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas, TX
My only problem with the CLS is the impending WAF or GfAF.... but otherwise, I think Logan should go for it.
 

fallencr

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
Costa Rica
Cls Iii

Well,

Every once in a while someone pops up the CLS III question, and suddenly it seems such a project would be viable. But it is not. I am sorry too but that's the true, will it be viable in the future, most certainly it will. Once people realize that all the home cinema/5 channel audio crap is a marketing plot to sell you something you didn't needed in the first place, a bulky speaker as the current CLS is going to look slim compared to 5 mediocre speakers in the living room, which by the way are usually useless.
 
T

tsd2005

Guest
fallencr said:
Well,

Every once in a while someone pops up the CLS III question, and suddenly it seems such a project would be viable. But it is not. I am sorry too but that's the true, will it be viable in the future, most certainly it will. Once people realize that all the home cinema/5 channel audio crap is a marketing plot to sell you something you didn't needed in the first place, a bulky speaker as the current CLS is going to look slim compared to 5 mediocre speakers in the living room, which by the way are usually useless.

Its far more viable now than it was when it was in production. I know many uses I've come accross where the CLS would have been perfect.

We will have to wait and see, but I think that soemtime soon the CLS will be back in style.
 

noname

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
France
It is certain that a new CLS could be addressed only to one population of music lovers...With a high budget. As for the summit !.

If MLl finds the customers, there will be a CLS3... if not there will be only hybrids.
 
Top