CLS II identification and upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTB300 said:
This is my experience with the stands I made. The only bass presence I think the floor makes is the resonating of the panel/frame with the floor, not the output wave itself.

I am not sure. I think even if you put a box speaker with the driver close to the floor you notice the effect. Little doubt the bracing provided by the stands does help though.

DTB300 said:
Question about your subs. You say you have dual subs and use Digital EQ, etc. Can you tell us more about your low end setup (make, model, sub placements, etc.) and what you noticed between a single sub and dual subs?

I made my subs using the Adire DPL12 driver (meant for dipole bass.. which I would prefer.. but gave up on.. again :). I built two monopoles with low Q (~.5... two sealed 18"x18"x24" boxes). I use a Marchand electronic crossover and a Behringer feedback destroyer (latest revision) for eq.

I did *a lot* of measuring to find the ideal setup. Stereo subs made placement more difficult, and I measured a few configurations (corners, mid points, offsets) to determine the best "natural" response. I also played with forward and down firing scenarios (measuring first, listening second). The main reason I wanted dual subs was for more output for HT (given low Q and sealed box). I now get very solid response to below 20hz in room. On some records like The Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions you can feel the AC in the recording pressurize the room. After measuring everything, I ended up with one in the corner and one mid-wall. I did this mostly as it was the best combination of maximizing living space and good response. Without the eq, position would be far more important (I would likely bring them well out into the room).

The really interesting change was when I went to an external DAC (an Ack Dack). I used a Behringer digital eq (everything done in the digital domain) to compensate for the room for the full range. Results were amazing here... the best 400 bucks I ever spent on audio (eq, and mic... truth be told... the cost of the eq + mic + dac was less than the all in one CD player I sold... and the results are far superior).

Back