CLS Crossover

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ML4Life

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I have CLS ii's as my LR in my system as well as a Logos center. They are powered by McIntosh MC257 amp and that is connected to my Marantz 8012 which powers the rest of the 7.2.4 system.

What should I set my crossover to on my marantz for the CLS'? I know it is a full range panel, however I would like to divert a good piece of that bass to my dual dynamos. Any advice is welcome.

Cheers and happy listening! 🔊

I have CLS ii's as my LR in my system as well as a Logos center. They are powered by McIntosh MC257 amp and that is connected to my Marantz 8012 which powers the rest of the 7.2.4 system.

What should I set my crossover to on my marantz for the CLS'? I know it is a full range panel, however I would like to divert a good piece of that bass to my dual dynamos. Any advice is welcome.

I ran Audyssey on my system and then adjusted the crossover point for the mains from there. I have a set of Prodigy speakers, so different though. I cant remember what I have my mains cut off at. I am thinking around 60 HZ. It sounds best around there. You can just play with that setting on your Marantz and see what sounds best to you. Others here run REW and other software and are more scientific.

Oh, and on my Marantz I have the sub set so that it gets the bass from all 11 speakers, including the left/right mains.

CLS 1 booklet advise may integrate sub for frequency below 100 hz. Experiment.

I run my CLS II full with JL Fathom cut at 60 with great results as the ML do well down to about 50 hz in my room. But, I don’t crank movies.

it also depends on your room
...and not just a little bit! In my room, the CLS II's peak at around 40hz and plummet below that. I always tried to be a purist, running the CLS full range, with their lovely clear bass, and tried to equalize the sub around them. But since my Velodyne SMS-1 died, I've at least tried putting the 50hz. cut-off--24 dB/octave, I believe--built into my Parasound P-7, and try to do the best I can with the 25 and 50 controls on the Descent i. I'm still up in the air about what to do to get "perfect bass". I like having the sub for movies that make use of it, but to me it's all about music. I love the organ, but not to the extent that it's a major part of my music listening.

Bottom line, though, is that every system, room and listener has it's quirks. It's hard to make specific recommendations without listening to your particular system.

CLS 1 booklet advise may integrate sub for frequency below 100 hz. Experiment.
Lots of critical listeners claim that below 100hz is not necessarily non-directional. Another good argument for letting the CLS's sing as deep as possible.

Back