CLS, CLSII or CLSIIz...what to chose?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anna

Hi All ML enthousiastics,

I'am able to buy a second hand pear of CLS(1). Experienced Quad57 and 63 only. What do you suggest. Are the CLS1 sufficient or should I wait for another offer on CLSII or CLSIIz. Playing on JADIS integrated amp.

regards and thanks :cool:

If you have the space and the amp to drive them, I'd definitely go for the CLS IIz...

what are the specs for your Jadis integrated?

Being a CLSIIz owner I believe have read just about every article and web forum on these amazing speakers. Most agree that the original CLS'es were the 'best' sounding but also the hardest to drive and IIz'es are the easiest. I can't confirm this myself because while I have listened to the originals (and everything in between) all the set-ups were completely different. One thing is for sure -amplification followed closely by the right cables makes a HUGE difference. Of course this is assuming that your room acoustics are already excellent and the speakers are positioned properly. Check out my system to see what I use (#16).

One thing to keep in mind is that the original CLS'es are very old now so I would assume that the panels will need to be replaced. Also, the very first CLS in production had different panels, which might be difficult to replace. The rest of the models used the same panel but different electronics.

Hope this helps.

do a search on eBay for "Martin Logan" and you'll find that a pair of supposedly barely used cls IIs is up for bid.
Good luck.
Andy

CLS or CLSII

TomDac said:
If you have the space and the amp to drive them, I'd definitely go for the CLS IIz...

what are the specs for your Jadis integrated?

Tanks for your replies. Playing on a Jadis DA30 (30w Class A Tube amplifier)

go for the earliest pair you can find

M/L tried to make the speaker more user friendly not better with each successive model change. Try to get the model with what looks like a little flap over the transformers. When I bought my first pair some 24 years ago the pair I got was never as good as the older model I heard at the store. I just bought a pair of cls one's. :cool:

Back