CLS-Arcici stand assistance needed.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2beornot2bop

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently acquired a pair of Arcici stands for CLS' that came without any instructions. Can someone who owns or has owned Arcici stands for CLS' lend a hand on how the top bracket should be mounted?

I've fig'd out everything but the top bracket pieces that mount to the top frame of the speaker. At the moment I can get any real tension on it.

Assuming of course the top bracket is supposed to be mounted from the top of the wood trim and the lower portion of the bracket is to be inserted into the gap between the panel and the wood trim above it. I'll attach a pic of the area I'm referring to.

Thanks in advanced for the assist.

2b

Attachments

• P1040253.jpg
    P1040253.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 700
  • P1040256.jpg
    P1040256.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 664
that is not factory bracket for the top. The rear support is supposed to attach directly to the side of the wood frame. It screws right into the wood.

That's contrary to what I've seen from 3 different users all of which appeared like this one. What am I missing? The photo clearly is not reflecting a support beam drilled into the wood frame. Who in their right mind would do obvious damage to their speakers by drilling a hole into them? No secondary buyer wants drilled holes in their frames with the explanation "oh that's because at one time I had them supported by Arcici stands."

What are you basing your information on?

Attachments

• ML9.jpg
    ML9.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 709
Im no engineer and I have no experience with the CLS or stands but from the last picture you posted it looks like you should attach the clamps top and bottom tightly and the long rod that runs down at a slant looks like it has threads that adjust rake and tension near the crossover. From the picture that is what it looks like

That's contrary to what I've seen from 3 different users all of which appeared like this one. What am I missing? The photo clearly is not reflecting a support beam drilled into the wood frame. Who in their right mind would do obvious damage to their speakers by drilling a hole into them? No secondary buyer wants drilled holes in their frames with the explanation "oh that's because at one time I had them supported by Arcici stands."

What are you basing your information on?

Sorry Brian fart I was thinking Sound anchor stands. They attach directly to the wood sides.

While it does seem to be cruel to do, the benefit of the stands as a whole are way better. My custom stands I made are mounted directly to the wood frames with dampening material between the metal and wood. Those look to clamp to the top of the wood.

Im no engineer and I have no experience with the CLS or stands but from the last picture you posted it looks like you should attach the clamps top and bottom tightly and the long rod that runs down at a slant looks like it has threads that adjust rake and tension near the crossover. From the picture that is what it looks like

I'll be a bit more specific...

I've 4 ?'s.

1. What's the proper or "recommended" positioning of the two 'C' brackets clamping between the top of the wood frame and the gap above the panel? There's approximately 1.5 inches of space between the edge of the bracket and the tension screw that runs through it.

2. What's the proper 'horizontal' placement for the 'C' brackets? IOW, should they be at the maximum edge, which presents a problem because of the rise of the rubber at the corners, or in a bit where the gap above the panels is wider?

3. What is the proper tension adjustment procedure for the vertical arm brace that connects at the electronic modules? Currently I'm at maximum adjustment and I've yet to establish any controllable tension to the frames via the arm brace.

4. I'm assuming the greatest asset of the Arcici's is to establish control over the occurrence of (wood) frame vibrations whilst the panel is doin' it's thing. Am I correct in that assumption?

Hopefully someone will chime through with a manual copy that will address these questions. As common as these were at one time with any luck an owner will chime in.

Sorry Brian fart I was thinking Sound anchor stands. They attach directly to the wood sides.

While it does seem to be cruel to do, the benefit of the stands as a whole are way better. My custom stands I made are mounted directly to the wood frames with dampening material between the metal and wood. Those look to clamp to the top of the wood.

No problem, it's the thought that counts. Nice stands!

I'll be a bit more specific...

I've 4 ?'s.

1. What's the proper or "recommended" positioning of the two 'C' brackets clamping between the top of the wood frame and the gap above the panel? There's approximately 1.5 inches of space between the edge of the bracket and the tension screw that runs through it.

2. What's the proper 'horizontal' placement for the 'C' brackets? IOW, should they be at the maximum edge, which presents a problem because of the rise of the rubber at the corners, or in a bit where the gap above the panels is wider?

3. What is the proper tension adjustment procedure for the vertical arm brace that connects at the electronic modules? Currently I'm at maximum adjustment and I've yet to establish any controllable tension to the frames via the arm brace.

4. I'm assuming the greatest asset of the Arcici's is to establish control over the occurrence of (wood) frame vibrations whilst the panel is doin' it's thing. Am I correct in that assumption?

Hopefully someone will chime through with a manual copy that will address these questions. As common as these were at one time with any luck an owner will chime in.

I don't have the manual and I don't know what's recommended, but I have the stands and can tell you what I have it set at.

Bottom of the frame is 10" from the floor.
Panels are slightly raked back
C brackets are on the frame 1/2" deep.
I replaced the rubber on the inside of the C brackets with felt
Electronics boxes are mounted upside down on the stand for more stability
Paving Stone placed on top of electronics box for even more stability
I feel the best asset of the stand is getting the panels off the ground, I'm a little taller than your average listener so others may have a different opinion.

I don't have the manual and I don't know what's recommended, but I have the stands and can tell you what I have it set at.

Bottom of the frame is 10" from the floor.
Panels are slightly raked back
C brackets are on the frame 1/2" deep.
I replaced the rubber on the inside of the C brackets with felt
Electronics boxes are mounted upside down on the stand for more stability
Paving Stone placed on top of electronics box for even more stability
I feel the best asset of the stand is getting the panels off the ground, I'm a little taller than your average listener so others may have a different opinion.

If the speaker mounts directly to the front stand mounts then how did you obtain a tilt "rake" to the speakers?

And how much tension are you obtaining on the brackets themselves, and is that adjustable? I'm not gaining a snug fit thus far, for at maximum tightness I can still slide the bracket from its assigned position with my hand.

So originally there were felt pads for the C brackets, I fig'd something was amiss for these came without any protective pads. I was considering using rubber pads for insulation but those I have on hand at the moment are too thick.

How far inside the corner edge are your C brackets? The gap is wider and more accommodating the further in from the edge, at least on the pair of iiz's I own.

Much obliged for the input.

If the speaker mounts directly to the front stand mounts then how did you obtain a tilt "rake" to the speakers?

It takes 2 people,make sure the C brackets are mounted securely to the upper frame loosen the 4 bolts holding the panel to the stand and the 2 at the bottom of the support braces, and the 2 that attach the C brackets to the support braces while someone else holds the panel in place. Set the panel at the angle yo want it and then tighten the 2 bolts at the bottom of the support braces, then the 2 holding the C brackets to the support brackets and last the 4 holding the panel frame to the stand.

And how much tension are you obtaining on the brackets themselves, and is that adjustable? I'm not gaining a snug fit thus far, for at maximum tightness I can still slide the bracket from its assigned position with my hand.

Mine fit snugly, Once you put felt or pads on the inside of the brackets they should be okay.

So originally there were felt pads for the C brackets,

C brackets came with some rubberized pads, I replaced with felt, I lined the entire inside of the C brackets with felt and the entire front of the stand where it attaches to the frame with felt as well.

How far inside the corner edge are your C brackets? The gap is wider and more accommodating the further in from the edge, at least on the pair of iiz's I own.

I have mine mounted up against the corner of the frame like the picture in your second post except my support brace is mounted to the outside of the C bracket not the inside.

Attachments

• cls1.jpg
    cls1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 700
  • cls2.jpg
    cls2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 598
  • cls3.jpg
    cls3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
Mine fit snugly, Once you put felt or pads on the inside of the brackets they should be okay.

Wayne,

Thank you for going to all the trouble to photograph yours assembled. That did the trick. Now they're snug as a bug inside the frames. I'm not certain I'm hearing much of a difference other than an elevated stage at this point, but I imagine the frames are now less prone to vibration than before.

I envy your system and space. That's one absolutely beautiful setup and decor.

I can't thank you enough for the assist!

Greg

I put pieces of rubber cut from a bicycle inner tube where the bracket clamps at the top. Wrapping around to protect the wood on the back from the screw. Works great and helps with the grip.

Back